About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

New Marmot Alpinist Jacket?

8:21 p.m. on February 8, 2012 (EST)
9 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

Was wondering if anyone knows if Marmot or I should say when Marmot might be coming out with a new Alpinist jacket with different colors than what they have now.  I personally think the jacket is a slam dunk when it comes to what you get for the price.  I just dont like any of the colors they have out now.  Before I spend that kind of money I'd rather wait until they come out with something that I like.  

1:45 p.m. on February 9, 2012 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,219 reviewer rep
5,181 forum posts

Marmot, like most manufacturers, comes out with "new" versions every year at the season they deem appropriate to the kind of gear. One of the things I have found (to my great annoyance) is that "new" usually means different colors and/or color schemes. There are some differences in the colors, based on what I saw at the January OR Show. Your answer is "just wait until next August" when the season for gear like the Alpinist 3 comes around (winter and ski-related hardshells are for "winter" season, so hit the stores about Sept/Oct). The manufacturers also change the names of very similar clothing so they can call it "new models". I replaced my Alpinist 3 two years ago with a very similar jacket that I would say is essentially the same except for color, but it had a different name - it was the jacket shown me at the Marmot booth at the OR when I asked about what the closest thing to the Alpinist 3. You might find a color you like. The fabrics are changing, with the evolution in Gore, eVent, and the other wpb competitors, so expect a new name for the same design jacket.

Some years ago, I stopped at the Smartwool booth to ask about what was new and improved by way of hiking, climbing, and ski socks, and received an extended briefing on the new colors. So, what difference does color make, when most of the sock is inside the boot and the part above the boot is under the pant leg and the gaiter? This was before Smartwool moved their manufacturing to Asia. But the US company that made the Smartwool socks, FITS, is still making socks. So now I get the FITS socks - basically the same merino wool with some spandex included to maintain elasticity.

April 17, 2014
Quick Reply