CampStove

6:45 p.m. on February 12, 2012 (EST)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

What do you say about this funny thing?

http://biolitestove.com/CampStove.html

I couldn't make my mind as if to put it here or under camp kitchen...anyway - I don't have much wood in the desert and I need no juice when I'm out, but maybe it'll be good for someone out there...

8:18 p.m. on February 12, 2012 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Something contradictory about calling this stove a green technology, or for that matter light weight at over two pounds.  I am wondering if this stove thingy isn't just a prank web site.

Ed

9:25 p.m. on February 12, 2012 (EST)
43 reviewer rep
116 forum posts

We will see.

I just put my name on the preorder form. Number 757.

No credit card info needed so we shall see.

My friend is into gadges so this will drive him crazy if it works.

Thanks for the link..

6:44 a.m. on February 13, 2012 (EST)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

Hey Ed, check out their video, I don't think it's a prank - too much effort plus the shooting from Africa.

7:01 a.m. on February 13, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Not a prank.  It's been in development for quite a while.  They make big versions for home use in third world countries.

It's "green" because it uses an alternative to fossil fuels and it is efficient at burning wood.

I think it's a neat concept but a little on the heavy side. I wonder how much electricity it puts out.

9:38 p.m. on February 14, 2012 (EST)
65 reviewer rep
168 forum posts

Not unlike the Sierra Stove, or Zip Ztove -- except with the high tech addition of charging capability. I have a friend who tried a Sierra Stove. Worked fine, but he had to spend some time looking for suitable fuel. There are fragile environments, such as the arctic-tundra-like areas above the tree line in the Rockies, in which such a stove would be less green than carrying a traditional gas or kero stove -- scavenging for fuel materials in such a place removes valuable and scarce materials for decomposition/soil nurture. Still, the gear geek in me says, "maybe if they drop the price significantly below the MSRP...."

12:13 a.m. on February 15, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Brerarnold, You are correct.  You are not allowed to use a wood burner above the tree line in Yosemite and probably other national parks and forests.

5:27 a.m. on February 15, 2012 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I've used the Sierra zip stove in the past. Ended up being a wasted purchase.

Wood burning stoves are a cool concept, but a  major pain.

Forget about boiling water quickly when your thirsty as heck, forget about the thing working when your in a wet climate, soot gets all over everything. 

After three trips with the wood burning stove, I went back to canned heat.

2:33 a.m. on February 16, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

I've seen the biolite stove before, the stove is huge and heavy. Interesting idea, however. There are a few people running around experimenting with using Seebecks coupled with wood burning stoves. I have a few that I am toying with.

We love the wood burning stove for most of our trips in Yosemite over the last couple of years, about 30 days in all. It takes some finesse and time to get it dialed in.

4:35 p.m. on February 18, 2012 (EST)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

I don't get the Third World push, they already burn wood (or charcoal) as the primary fuel source in most of Africa and other similar situations.  This is one of the main deforesting issues at the local level.  Yes this may be more effect then a open fire, but so is a Gas-afire stove, and it's a lot easier and cheaper to make.

It would be great if someone could do something like this with solar or something that dose not use up the local resources.  There's an idea for you inventer types!

As for camping, I found that a little wood burning stove on the beach worked great at boiling water and cooking small meals, BUT, you need a good supply of dry wood to cut up in little pieces to feed the fire.  It is lighter then a gas stove but I would not say easier to use.

This is my first wood stove getting fired up.
100_0782.jpg

This is boiling water for Coffee, mid day.
100_0783.jpg

As you can see the pot gets a build up of soot just like on a camp fire, although it is a lot more effect to cook on.   Also you can see the burn ring in the top of the chunk of wood I was using as a table.  :)  Got to watch this in the future. 

The stove is a 1 qt paint can with a 4" to 3" duct adapter for the fire cone.  And some framing strapping for the pot stand. 

I just realized that I complete hijacked this thread. :)  Oh well.

Wolfman

12:14 p.m. on February 19, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

Nice stove. We've been using a stove and grill combo, but I've been trying to integrate the grill in order to get rid of it. One of the problems is the lack of draft.
DSC08430.jpg

In trying to increase the draft, I added this horizontal part. The horizontal part pops off and the bottom of the stove is open with a suspended grill inside for the flamebox. Ash falls through to the ground, permitting more airflow. The soot problem persists. The longest we had this one out for was our 14 day wedding trip and, despite having to clean the soot, we still love cooking on a wood burning stove. I'm going to keep reading and tinkering.

12:36 a.m. on February 21, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

The third world push is that the stove uses less wood, is less toxic and can be used to produce electricity as a side benefit. 

I watched a show about some solar lights.  They had problems.  Everything from breakage to not understanding that they have to be left outside all day.

September 17, 2014
Quick Reply