Request Assistance with reviews for new Sleeping Bag & Gound Pad

7:28 p.m. on February 26, 2012 (EST)
7 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

G'day campers ~

I'd be grateful for your assistance in helping me with some information regarding a couple of products. Should any of y'all have any insight to share then that would be helpful.

Sleeping bag ---

Alps Mountaineering - Crescent Lake, -20 deg. (REG)

(1) Is it rated well for the temp. advertised?

(2) Are you pleased with it? What are the pro's & con's with this bag?

(3) Any of you folks have the 32" wide bag? for an average sized man is it big enough to stretch out: big enough to change clothing inside the bag?

Ground Pad ---

Alps Mountaineering Dual Foam Matt - X-Large

(1) Is it comfortable with the 1.25" thick foam: is it more comfy than the thin foam Thermorest pad, and, does it keep you warm?

Thanks kindly. Take care now....

Respectfully,

Billy

Merritt, Missaukee County, northern Michigan (Lower Peninsula)

"Salvation is of the LORD." -Jonah 2:9c [KJV]

7:01 a.m. on February 27, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

I have the 20F Clearwater.  I have the wide. Nice bag but I have never had it near it's temp rating, so I can't comment about the temp rating.  The wide gives me plenty of room to roll around in. My daughter has the regular and it'd be cramped for changing. The construction of the bag is fine. 

Bag temps are somewhat dependent on you.  Do you prefer a lot of covers relative to other people or fewer?

12:54 p.m. on February 27, 2012 (EST)
7 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Ocala guy ~

Thanks for the head's-up about the wide bag and of it's construction. That's helpful.

To answer your question, When it's wet and/or very cold outside I'll use my military-issued Goretex Bivvy sack, which works great and lowers the temp rating a wee bit.

Take care now...

Respectfully,

Billy

1:03 p.m. on February 27, 2012 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,024 forum posts

While Trailspace does not have any user reviews yet of the ALPS Mountaineering Dual Foam Pad, there are three user reviews of the ALPS Mountaineering Crescent Lake 20.

Hope that helps.

2:08 p.m. on February 27, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

BTW, if you are looking for comfy try Alps' Lightweight Series in size long. If you are on anything reasonable smooth you won't feel a thing. Sticks, small stones, who cares. It doesn't pack as small as the therma-rest of the same size nor are they as light but they are great for shorter hikes.

2:43 p.m. on February 27, 2012 (EST)
7 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Thank you Alicia and Ocala! :)

Respectfully,

Billy

August 29, 2014
Quick Reply