About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Double sleeping bags to share with your partner?

11:37 a.m. on February 28, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Here is the question – do you go with a double
sleeping bag for you and your
partner, pack 1 sleeping bag and save weight or do you still go with 2 bags?

These are made in the USA by a company in
seattle called FeatheredFriends. They are 61" wide, down, mummy, 10 degree rated, wieghts 3 pounds.

the web site is featheredfriends.com

in the select sleepingbags and go down to the wide series, I was looking at the one called Puffin.The company will basically make a bag for you anyway you want.

We have always packed 2 sleeping bags but this
has me thinking, has anyone gone this route with the wide sleeping bags.
Thanks!

1:54 p.m. on February 28, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

Feathered Friends has a great reputation.  If you like cuddling then I say go for it.  Wife and I pack separate.  If I had thought about it I would have gotten a left and right zip instead of 2 right, then I could have zipped them together.

2:37 p.m. on February 28, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Bear-in-mind, each (of "partners") may have entirely different sleeping habits.

To wit:   One may be a 'back-sleeper' that sleeps without tossing and rolling.    The other may be a 'side-sleeper', or, a 'sprawler', changing positions through-out the night.

NOT always compatible 'partners' in close quarters.    On a bed, perhaps.   Maybe, not so much in a bag.

pax vobiscum

~ r2 ~

2:52 p.m. on February 28, 2012 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

serious himalayan climbers - not the ones that need to be guided up and down - sometimes use 1 sleeping bag for 2 people. It allows them to save space and weight in their loads, and is plenty warm enough. From what I've read, they would actually lay directly on their sleeping pads and throw the bag over themselves like a blanket while spooning, keeping the heat in by tucking it around themselves like a tight blanket. The extra body heat helps, but boy it must have smelled ripe...

there's only a couple of people I hike with that I would feel comfortable ever sharing a bag with, and it would have the be a pretty dire situation.

4:51 p.m. on February 28, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

all good points, my girl friend and I slept very well together so don't think that would be a issue but getting comfortable sleeping in a tent is always another story; The weight saving and room saving is what i was thinking, this is alot of space. So would it be worth it or could it be a really bad idea. Two bags that zip together might far out wiegh this idea. Does any one out there do the double bag and regret it? would be the next question

5:02 p.m. on February 28, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

the dimensions,temperature ratings and weights aren't adding up.

5:05 p.m. on February 28, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

it's a queen 10f 3lbs.?

5:07 p.m. on February 28, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

sign me up!

7:18 p.m. on February 28, 2012 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,234 reviewer rep
5,182 forum posts

Our 2 FF bags (-40F) have a L and a R zipper to zip together - 3.8 (Barb) and 4.4 (OGBO) pounds. Barb's is a short and mine is a long, each with 4 ounces overfill. I have used mine in Antarctica and on Denali in -40 to -50 weather. Barb has only had hers down to -35F. Due to when we got them (mine first in 1996, hers in 2003) we got the zippers on the wrong sides, compared to the usual arrangement in "civilized" beds - should have been R and L instead. But who plans that far in advance? Excellent bags, and match their ratings. Actually, we rarely zip them together, so it doesn't really matter where the zippers are.

11:45 p.m. on February 28, 2012 (EST)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

Bill S said:

Barb has only had hers down to -35F. 

Couldn't help but smile when I read this!  :-)

11:50 p.m. on February 28, 2012 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

That is kinda funny.......only -35 ?!

8:46 a.m. on February 29, 2012 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
2,221 forum posts

Bill S said:

..we got the zippers on the wrong sides, compared to the usual arrangement in "civilized" beds - should have been R and L instead...

LOL.  My wife claims there is a man's and woman's side to the bed too.  I called her out on this on several occasions, as in her world which side is which is contingent on the bed position in the room, rather than who sleeps on what side, relative the foot and head boards.  It is irrelevant to me; she steals the covers no matter which side she chooses.

Ed

9:59 a.m. on February 29, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Going to play it safe and stick to our mis-match bags for now, i think at some point we'll end up doing like Bill did with ones that zip together. Easier to split two bags apart than to be stuck in one, always good to be safe, what's a few more pounds in a pack any way :) Hoping to do a Day hike up Mount Mitchell (NC) this weekend if we have good weather. thanks for all the comments.

2:48 p.m. on March 1, 2012 (EST)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

Nice thread...I had been trying to figure out about a double bag or single bag for a while.  Decided to go with the single bags each as I am a warmer sleeper than the lady is and she prefers to side sleep, I don't.....

2:43 a.m. on March 2, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

nice thread,sounds like magical thread!P.S.antarctica must use celsius to get those ridiculous numbers.north face has a -40f.

9:43 a.m. on March 2, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I have a couple -40 F bags (vintage 1960s / 1970s Eddie Bauer Kara Koram). They are center-zipper, about 1/3 length... sooo, could not co-join, anyhow.   Never had occasion to test at that temp, but I am fairly certain the rating is accurate; based on my experiences down around -30 F.   Not sure if I could feel any differences, anyhow, at those temps.   Shelter, away from wind, is the paramount issue.

I do not seem to mind very cold temps.  I believe my physical condition helps a great deal.   I have been tested (by a team of sports-medicine doctors) to have a very high BMR  (Basal Metabolic Rate).

Also, I have a mil-spec / S&R bag rated at -60 F (!).  New and unused.  I know I shall NEVER need to "test" it.

Anyhow !

I am curious as to the viability of double-bags.   Would like to learn, in the "real world".   My "partners" bail on accompanying me on my cold-weather forays.   Oh, well ....

pax vobiscum

~ r2 ~

6:18 p.m. on March 18, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

Maybe within the first heated month of a relationship.  After that I prefer my own, positive company.  

12:58 p.m. on March 19, 2012 (EDT)
169 reviewer rep
169 forum posts

My wife and I have used an old “Therma-nest” sleep system for what, 15 years now?

Got it at REI early in our marriage.

It’s a somewhat-hopefully-rated 20 degree extra long rectangular synthetic bag. For a 20 degree synthetic bag it’s quite light. I reckon they were figuring on the heat of two bodies in there. Anyway, the bottom is a synthetic sheet of sorts that has pockets and elastic straps on the bottom to hold two regular rectangular 72”x20” full sized therma-rest pads, and a zipper that matches the sleeping bag.  It isn’t exactly an ultra-light arrangement, but it does save the weight and bulk of one sleeping bag.

My wife uses an REI Morningstar backpack and her standard load is the bed – The two therma-rest pads, and the one sleeping bag with the bottom sheet zipped on, which fits in its own stuff sack. This mostly fills her pack as you can imagine, which is a good thing. Keeps her from loading her pack up to heavy. I’ll carry the tent, stove, and food.

This arrangement has worked out very well indeed for us for many years. Sleeping together is sooo much warmer than sleeping apart and uh well, there are other fringe benefits also…

They used to come in regular length and the extra long version. For some reason we got the extra long version which was a stroke of pure genus on my part, I’m only 5’7” and my wife is 5’8”, but the extra material lets ya wrap it around yer head for more warmth.

We’ve used this sleep system oh, March through October, down to around 20 degrees I reckon. Only one really chilly night in it that I can recall, which we spent on the shore of an ice bound lake in a strong wind. We still slept pretty good though. Usually this has been a fantastic sleeping arrangement.     

Last summer in an experiment to save weight, we substituted Ridge Rest pads for the usual and heavy inflatable therma-rest pads on a five day /  four night trip. Boy was that ever a mistake!  

I’ve come to really hate those ridge rest pads, yeah they are light but they are very uncomfortable and cold. I have foisted ‘em off on my nephews, who don’t know any better!

But anyway, if yer traveling with yer mate I can’t possibly imagine why you’d not want to share a bag.

Our old “therma-nest” bag needs to be retired now. Sadly, they don’t seem to make this fine product anymore, so I think we’ll make a Ray Jardine style two person quilt.

We’re already quite used to sleeping with just the pads beneath us and we do like to cuddle, so for us I figure it should work OK. I quite like the blue closed cell foam pads available at Wal-Mart for under ten bucks, bulky but light, cheap and very warm, so I’ll probably use two of ‘em for the bottom layer.   

3:52 p.m. on March 19, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,264 reviewer rep
1,247 forum posts

at -40, celsius is the same as fahrenheit.

one reason the numbers may not 'add up' if you're doing the math on fill weight is that the bottom of this bag has no insulation.  it relies on the sleeping pad for that.  seems ideal to pair with the exped downmat. 

12:10 a.m. on March 20, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

2 bags that can zip together OR not

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply