Golite gets rid of resellers

3:20 p.m. on February 29, 2012 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Golite is now only selling direct through their website or through their Golite outlets.  What does this mean for the customer?  Some serious savings.

www.golite.com

11:37 a.m. on March 1, 2012 (EST)
227 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

Now maybe I can finally get the Golite Eden 1 tent. Dropped from $300 to $200 (and about $12 for shipping) Still nice and buying direct. Usually it seams like buying direct is more $.

I just hope this works out for them. It can be a bit tough to get new customers if they can't find it, know of it, physically touch and try out the item first like you can at a store.

Time will tell....

2:53 p.m. on March 1, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Bkuti said:

Now maybe I can finally get the Golite Eden 1 tent. Dropped from $300 to $200 (and about $12 for shipping) Still nice and buying direct. Usually it seams like buying direct is more $.

I just hope this works out for them. It can be a bit tough to get new customers if they can't find it, know of it, physically touch and try out the item first like you can at a store.

Time will tell....

For me it is the opposite.  I hate going to the stores.  For me to get to, say REI, it is an entire day's trip across or around the Pugent sound and to the opposite side of Seattle only to fight the crowds at REI and compete for sales persons that quite often have less knowledge of what I'm looking for to look at items that are way over priced when I can sit at home and read reviews and pay attention to the quality of any product by doing recearch of the product itself and the company that provides it.  I still am able to buy the same brand new never used items that I will get a lifetime warrenty on with out all the time, cost of traveling, and full cost of the item for much less than one would pay at a retail outlet.  Buying direct allows Golite to cut out a middle man (including the gov's hand in the matter) and save you money.  In this case with their history of quality products coupled with the UL movement I believe this move will give them a one up in the market.  I guess we'll see. 

7:20 p.m. on March 1, 2012 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,994 forum posts

That is a very interesting development. Thanks for posting it.

Here's what it says on the GoLite site:

The evolution of GoLite.

We don’t want anything getting in the way of your love of the outdoors, and the less time you spend fiddling with overbuilt, overpriced gear, the more time you get to enjoy the trail.

In 1998, GoLite was founded on the simple idea that, when it comes to your outdoor gear, less is more. It's a philosophy that continues to pull us forward as we create innovative equipment and apparel designed to be faster on the trail and lighter on the planet.

While our commitment to this simple idea has fueled us to increase the performance and reduce the environmental impact of our gear, it has also driven us to re-evaluate and evolve the way we do business, which is why GoLite is now going direct.

Our entire range of world-class equipment and apparel is now available at a lower price and a lighter environmental impact in our own stores and on our own website.

Won't it be nice to spend less time thinking about your gear and more time getting outside? Let's go.

The trail is open.

While it doesn't definitely say no one but GoLite will sell GoLite products, it's strongly implied that direct will be the only way to go. Interesting...

9:17 p.m. on March 1, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

This is a great move. Getting a Dyneema UL Jam pack for just over $100 is very enticing indeed. Kudos to Golite.

9:45 p.m. on March 1, 2012 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

The only GoLite product I have is a pair of insulated pants I got from an online retailer that was closing them out because they were discontinued. I like them and the price was right (about half retail). This was a few years ago. I later got a small stuff sack as a promo freebie, which was nice of them.

My guess would be that the price points through retailers was hurting their volume and they figured they could make about the same by selling direct at lower prices. I hope they succeed. I see they have a few stores of their own, but only in CO and ID.

1:55 a.m. on March 2, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
708 reviewer rep
875 forum posts

Tom D is correct that they no doubt feel that they can make more directly, than through retailers. As much as I think that large outdoor retailers have a place in getting a lot of product out in front of consumers, they have a downside. A small producer cannot make products in the kind of volume an REI needs, and if they can, the large retailer needs to be able to buy them at a substantial discount. The mark up is usually 100% and sometimes higher. Often, the specialized producer finds it difficult to get their products in front of the consumer.

8:43 a.m. on March 2, 2012 (EST)
227 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

apeman said:

Bkuti said:

Time will tell....

For me it is the opposite.  I hate going to the stores.  For me to get to, say REI, it is an entire day's trip across or around the Pugent sound and to the opposite side of Seattle only to fight the crowds at REI and compete for sales persons that quite often have less knowledge of what I'm looking for to look at items that are way over priced when I can sit at home and read reviews and pay attention to the quality of any product by doing recearch of the product itself and the company that provides it.  I still am able to buy the same brand new never used items that I will get a lifetime warrenty on with out all the time, cost of traveling, and full cost of the item for much less than one would pay at a retail outlet.  Buying direct allows Golite to cut out a middle man (including the gov's hand in the matter) and save you money.  In this case with their history of quality products coupled with the UL movement I believe this move will give them a one up in the market.  I guess we'll see. 

I agree with you apeman. I live very close to a few outfitters, when I go to any of them, there are tons of clueless people looking to either get into backpacking or want new gear. For these people who need a salesperson (most of which have no good working knowledge and rely on what either management or manufacturer tells them) to tell them what is good or bad, Golite is not going to be an option (as it was in the past). Unless, the sale person tells them about Golite, which I doubt. But, there are a lot of people who know Golite and also shop for gear/cloths like you and I. I think/hope it will work for Golite, but it will prob take time. 

July 28, 2014
Quick Reply