About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

A Sad Day

11:12 a.m. on March 9, 2012 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,679 reviewer rep
1,138 forum posts

With sadness, regret and, I am not ashamed to say, a few tears we passed our Kelty Trek kid carrier on to my younger climbing partner.  I bought the thing in Leavenworth, WA over 13 years ago for what I thought was the outrageous price of $170 at a full price retailer (wife REEEALLY wanted it). 

In that time I carried the FIVE kids all over this and five other states on both coasts on activities such as Christmas tree cutting, pheasant hunting (makes shooting harder but achievable) up and down mountains and beaches and everywhere our adventures took us.  I can't think of a time in the last almost decade and a half where we were without one or two kids who fit this thing. 

Yes I did write a review though this model is discontinued.

This kid hauler outlasted my dog even and traveled to more destinations than he ever could (due to legal considerations). 

My point is not to praise this pack but to mourn the turning point in my life.  My Mrs. and I finally admitted that we are done having kids (never really planned on five, or four, or three but thats another story) and it was time to pass the kid pack on to another family.  My climbing partner and his Mrs. had their 1st last year and we gifted the pack to them with the understanding that they were its caretakers and, should it last their child raising years as I think it will, they will pass it on in kind.  I think they'll have a bigger family too. 

The tears from paragraph #1 were not as much for the pack but in loving memory of the years and joy we had in its employment.   

Anyone else have such a relationship with a piece of gear?

11:45 a.m. on March 9, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

My Kelty external-frame backpack, purchased sometime in the early 1970s ( I think ).  Can't remember the model-name.   It's the BIG ONE; top-loader ... red.

Still use it ... as late as last week.

Have been thinking 'bout an upgrade ... still using the aluminum TIG-welded frame, and 'Kelty'-pin system  ... having a new, hi-tech bag, from CUBEN fibre fabricated to my specs ( I live near the Chesapeake, and there are two sailmakers within a mile of me ...can get remnants for cheap / nothing).   G/F is an expert seamstress; has a $12k (!!) sewing-machine.

However; probably NOT going to pass this backpack on ... as you have done.

Nice gesture on your part.

pax vobiscum

~ r2 ~

12:25 p.m. on March 9, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

Sage said:

pheasant hunting (makes shooting harder but achievable)

Did they ever want to throw clay pigeons for you?

1:20 p.m. on March 9, 2012 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Lots of memories

2:15 p.m. on March 9, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

I can't come close to any thing like your kid carrier as I never had kids (and never will). That is most certainly best left up to others. Still, I'm very close to my very first tent and if one can have feelings towards an inanimate object then this is it for me. Back around 1979 I needed a tent as as I have always been prone to do I usually start looking at the highest quality items as that's where I usually end up any way. I learned this by watching my buddies years ago buying stereo after stereo system until they go to the quality they wanted spending $10,000 only to still have a $4000 system instead of spending $10,000 the first time around to have a $10,000 system. So back in 79 I bought my very first tent, the North Face Oval Intention. As it was the end of the season and I believe that they might have been getting ready for the introduction of the sleeve intention I bought mine for a mere $175. Now back in 79 most thought it to be folly to spend that much on an expedition tent. I was chided and even berated by a few on the wisdom of wasting money on such an item. Thirty three years later she's still going strong.  We'll now I have many, many tents but still every time I go to grab a tent my first thought is my NF Ring Oval Intention.

My first tent the Oval Intention.
DSC03228.jpg

As the years went on and this was my only tent it got so much use that the original fly became so unusable due to UV damage (we did not have sunscreen for tents back in the day) that I had this one made for it. Note that in the above picture that the lower part of the tent is sun faded as the original fly did not come all the way to the ground. This material was a short experimental run of silicone impregnated, not sprayed on but impregnated material that was developed for the sailing industry. I weighs more than the tent body it's self, and, as the original fly was blue and prone to making one suicidal when one had to lay up in it for a long time i opted for this cheery yellow.  Knowing what I know now I should have had a couple of vents added to the fly.  This is still one of the best vented double wall tents I've ever had due to the screened door and the two screened windows in the tent body
DSC03702.jpg

2:22 p.m. on March 9, 2012 (EST)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Brian, Rainy Pass could probably add those vents for ya if you still want them...

3:24 p.m. on March 9, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

That's a cool looking tent.  I almost think we (trailspace users) should pool our money together and start an outdoor company that uses old and proven designs and make them with modern materials.

Two things apeman

1. How big is that tent?
  2. How are you healing?
7:10 p.m. on March 9, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

The Oval intention is both strikingly beautiful in form and brilliantly executed in function. I could look at that external frame all day...

My item is my father's military issue pouch (don't remember the actual name) he gave me, which I had used on almost every vacation and adventure from age 8 to 35. Once I really got into the backpacking gearset, it was replaced by lighter systems for toiletries, fishing gear, and the like. But now it's passed on to my son, who uses it when he goes on adventures with friends...

7:50 p.m. on March 9, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

ocalacomputerguy said:

That's a cool looking tent.  I almost think we (trailspace users) should pool our money together and start an outdoor company that uses old and proven designs and make them with modern materials.

Two things apeman

1. How big is that tent?
  2. How are you healing?

1. The Oval intention is about 9 ft x 5 ft give or take.  I would guess it to be in the 35-38 sq ft. range.  I took out the original instructions but they don't have any specs. on it.  It's perfect for two people/gear and we've slept in it with an add 2 mastiff's.   Now tha'll keep you warmer than you want to be.

2. Thanks for asking.  I am healing slowly.  One of the things about being a risk taker is that when you break yourself really well (and I did a bang-up job of it) one tends to heal slowly at the advanced age fo 52.  I'm now slowly being allowed to put 40lb of weight and walk on it.  Every two weeks I can add 20 lbs.  I should be up to 60 lbs this week.  But where the main problem lies, is that when I pushed the femur up in the hip socket not only did I shatter the hip it also tore the Psoas muscle (something had to give).  This muscle is the major impingment upon being able to move more than I can at the moment so that every movement of the leg is guarded.  But I was able to set up my first tent in months.  I'm able to lie on my back and set up tents that have internal poles.  I tried to set up a tent with outer poles and if I were out in the wild I would have died if I had need a tent to survive as there is no way I could have gotten it up.  So all in all I am slowely healing and able to put weight on it a little more every day.  As I use a backpack to bring in fire wood there is no reason that when the weather gets better I should not be able to throw on a small pack and do an overnighter on cruthches.

9:22 p.m. on March 9, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,264 reviewer rep
1,254 forum posts

if you are feeling lonely, i still have one of those Kelty Kids backpack carriers in our basement.  my kids are 14, 11, and 8 now, so it has been quite a while since i lulled them to sleep on the trails, sweaty head occasionally kissing the back of my neck.  

on the other hand, they are all very able on the trails now, and it's a lot of fun to get out w/them.  my son (13) and i descended a trail during a hail/lightning storm in the Tetons last summer, moving fast to get out of the weather, and it struck me how i had gone from toting him around trails to working pretty hard to keep up with him.  

for me, it's the experiences that trigger the memories.  

11:06 p.m. on March 9, 2012 (EST)
486 reviewer rep
1,373 forum posts

Sage......dry your damp eyes, my friend. Many more such items will cross your trail of tears as your kids grow and achieve and become. All those memories are etched into your being like scrimshaw. The pack was, as you intimate, a symbol of all the love and time and closeness it was also a part of. Nice to get a glimpse of such lives in the making even from afar here in Vegas!

6:53 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,918 forum posts

FromSagetoSnow said:

The tears from paragraph #1 were not as much for the pack but in loving memory of the years and joy we had in its employment.   

Anyone else have such a relationship with a piece of gear?

I get that. I actually wrote an "Ode to a Pack" a number of years ago about retiring my first "real" daypack, also a Kelty.

I still feel a little misty thinking about it. It's still in my possession, just not in use.

8:12 a.m. on March 13, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,679 reviewer rep
1,138 forum posts

Gab, that was very nice of you to say.  Thanks.

Jeff

April 25, 2014
Quick Reply