Life Saver Bottle Video

3:56 p.m. on March 10, 2012 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

There are quite a few mentions of the Life Saver Bottle here on Trailspace.com but this video was just brought to my attention by a Facebook friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzdBCxZhKpQ&feature=player_embedded#!

6:11 p.m. on March 10, 2012 (EST)
299 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

This sounds like something that could save many lives, I hope TED is the real thing.  The cost of operation is almost nothing.  I feel the only danger of operation of this filter would be filling it up, I was a little worried that some water would spill over the intake area.

10:23 p.m. on March 10, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I have actually been looking at the Life Saver.

Another product that has caught my attention is the PurifiCup.

The guy in the video is quite excited. 

Here is a link to the manufacturers page:

http://purificup.com/Purificup/Home.html

I have to say I do like the Life Saver... I am turned off a bit by the cost of the replacement cartridge. The cost for the replacement cartridge is $149(4000) and $179(6000.)

And that is just the replacement cartridges.

My only worry about the PurifiCup is the possibility of cross contamination due to the way that the drinking cup is stored in the water scoop. 

The system itself is around $60 give or take. Reaplacement cartridges are around $14

I can't really tell if this would be an issue or they addressed the possibility of this happening when they designed it.

I was looking for more info on this product and came across this on Meanderthals:

http://internetbrothers.org/2012/02/26/purificup-portable-water-purifier-natural-water-series/

3:20 a.m. on March 11, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,072 forum posts

TED talks FTW! That same company also developed a Jerrycan using the same technology.

8:48 a.m. on March 11, 2012 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

pillowthread said:

TED talks FTW! That same company also developed a Jerrycan using the same technology.

Yeah, the jerrycan is in the video too. FTW as in gamer lingo; For the win, Or biker terminology, (can't say)? Yeah, the jerrycan is in the video too."FTW" as in gamer lingo; For the win, or biker terminology; (can't say)?

2:44 p.m. on March 11, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,314 forum posts

Be aware that neither the Lifesaver or Purificup will remove industrial, agricultural, or mining runoff chemicals. And as the guy in the Lifesaver video hinted at (but didn't say explicitly), it (and the Purificup) will not desalinate salt water.

Used within their limitations, they are ok (so ok for most backpacking).

The PUR Clean Water Treatment System (flocculation-based) does remove some of the heavy metals as well as the "critters". It was developed for use in 3rd World countries and for emergencies like flooding and tsunamis. It can be found in a number of places like WalMart's on-line. For some reason, I have not seen it in any outdoor stores (I suspect because it is designed for doing 10 liters of water at a time). It does work on hippo pool water and some really scuzzy ponds (did that for my 4-part article on water that is here on Trailspace).
DSC_0022.jpg
The Purificup is one of the few systems I have seen that uses silver. Apparently, in ancient Roman and Greek times and during the Middle Ages, there was some awareness that drinking from a silver cup (which the nobility did) was associated with better health. And some skin-layer clothing (long johns) uses silver nano to reduce the odor pickup. The mechanism isn't mentioned by the hyperenthusiastic Aussie Purificup flack, but silver kills a lot of microorganisms (not all, though). That's one of the reasons that the People's Republic of Palo Alto (where I live) has banned home darkrooms and caused Kodak to move their film processing center to the Central Valley - the silver salts removed during film processing get washed down the drain, through the sewage treatment plant, and into the San Francisco Bay, where it affects the fish and other water-dwelling creatures.

4:04 p.m. on March 11, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

I have actually been looking at the Life Saver.

Another product that has caught my attention is the PurifiCup.

The guy in the video is quite excited. 

Here is a link to the manufacturers page:

http://purificup.com/Purificup/Home.html

I have to say I do like the Life Saver... I am turned off a bit by the cost of the replacement cartridge. The cost for the replacement cartridge is $149(4000) and $179(6000.)

And that is just the replacement cartridges.

My only worry about the PurifiCup is the possibility of cross contamination due to the way that the drinking cup is stored in the water scoop. 

The system itself is around $60 give or take. Reaplacement cartridges are around $14

I can't really tell if this would be an issue or they addressed the possibility of this happening when they designed it.

I was looking for more info on this product and came across this on Meanderthals:

http://internetbrothers.org/2012/02/26/purificup-portable-water-purifier-natural-water-series/

After reading the reivew's on the Lifesaver bottles from Trailspace and considering the cost I would not touch one of their bottles with a ten foot pole. The jerrycans on the other had are a different story.

As Rick-Pittsburgh said above as well as giving a link,  Meanderthals has a bottle with proven technology for $59.  The price of the Lifesaver bottles is boardering on ridiculas  when compaired to the price of there Jerrycan's.  But if you make it and charge silly amounts of money then someone will buy it.  Who's first.................

A quick search of EBay shows a New 4000UF currently at $50 with a little over a day to go.  Even the buy it now prices are much cheaper than buying it from the company.  A replacement filter for the 4000 is going for $75 w/free shipping vers. the $149 price that Rick quoted above.  Makes them a little more palatable, but again I'll wait and see what many more people think of them after reading the review here at Trailsapce.

10:13 p.m. on March 11, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Need to rob a bank

11:42 a.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,219 forum posts

Looks like my WaterPur filter would filter just as fast. It pumps about 1 liter per minute. In the time I use this lifesaver method and pour it into my water bottle I could do my WaterPur as fast.

October 24, 2014
Quick Reply