Thoughts on the Marmot Super Mica jacket

6:33 p.m. on March 17, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Hi all,

I'm new to Trailspace but have been backpacking for a long time.  Has anyone used the Marmot Super Mica jacket?  I'm looking for a new light-weight hardshell to replace an old leaking softshell.  I want something that will balance weight and durability while being completely waterproof.  

If anyone has experience with the Super Mica or other thoughts I welcome your feedback.

Thanks,

Jared

10:31 p.m. on March 17, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
27 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

Welcome to the forums Jared!

I have played with the Super Mica a good bit but never bought one. I like it because for 200 dollars you get a ultra light rain shell that is:

- Laminated waterproofing. (longer life than a PU spray; like the precip, TNF venture, and pat torrent)

- Has all water proof zippers

- Large pitzips that can allow freedom in a climbing harness.

- pull tight plastic/elastic tighteners around the waist and around the circumference of the head in the hood (awesome so that when you move your head your hood does too)

the things I dont like...

- Its a low denier rip stop that will not withstand rigorous back country use. (this is only my opinion. in fact I can not find any information on the denier count, nor do I have any personal experience with this jacket in bushwacking/schwacking or climbing.)

- for 200$ you can also get the marmot Minimalist jacket that is Gore-tex Paclite. Its a bit heavier and only has a Velcro tightener around the hood but a stronger face fabric better suited for prolonged back country use.

- MJG

-

September 30, 2014
Quick Reply