Sleeping bag for NC

7:25 p.m. on March 21, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

So I have planned to hike the Art Loeb Trail in NC over spring break, and I need a sleeping bag. Is there an advantage of choosing down vs synthetic? I only do hiking trips during the spring, summer, and fall so I dont know what rating to look for. I am 5'4" so I dont need a super long bag. I want to spend under $200, what would be a good option? 

8:20 p.m. on March 21, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

There are dozens of bags you could choose. Yes, there are advantages of choosing down over synthetic, although in that price range the differences aren't that great. There are many threads here on this topic as well as dozens more on other sites as well, since this is one of the big three gear questions, what tent and what stove being the other two. Use the search box in the upper right hand corner to search here.

No idea what rating to recommend. Spring and Fall can be cold, depending on where you are. I've got an old TNF Cat's Meow synthetic bag originally good to around 20F. I'd look for something like that. The new ones look like this-

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/equipment-sleeping-bags-filter-category-20-f-55-f/cats-meow.html

My other two bags are down and no longer made. Their replacements cost around $400 each.

9:49 p.m. on March 21, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

read the articles they are great.

September 15, 2014
Quick Reply