unexpected metatarsal pain

5:45 p.m. on March 29, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,283 forum posts

my workout regime is somewhat idiosyncratic but tends to produce good results.  it also, very occasionally, leads to mystery pain.  as background, i have a series of one or two hour loops from my office.  when i can steal an hour or two, i go out for a walk.  i always carry a backpack, varying the size and amount of weight depending on how i feel, what the hills are like in the loop i'm doing, whether i have a trip coming up.  i also vary shoes - from fivefingers to trail runners on up to a pair of limmer standards - and clothing depending on the weather, because this is a four-season endeavor.  consequently, i rarely if ever experience foot pain, pack bruises, or other symptoms of a long layoff from hiking.  at most, my legs might get sore because no matter where i go in or near washington DC, i'm not going to find a nice 3000+ foot vertical gain hike. 

today, i did a two hour loop carrying a 50 pound pack.  wore the limmer boots w/smartwool socks and a thin wicking liner.  an hour into the walk, the ball of my right foot started to feel sore.  after another 45 minutes, it went from sore to really bothersome.  at that point, i stopped, swapped shoes, and continued back to my office in the pair of fivefingers (spyridons, if you care) that i happened to have stashed in my pack.  i walked (carefully) the rest of the way, and though my right foot was still a little tender, it didnt' bother me nearly as much as it did while i was wearing the boots.  my left foot feels fine, no pain at any point.  more peculiar, these boots are several years old and haven't bothered my feet since i broke them in.

i generally subscribe to the theory that the simplest explanation is most often the correct one.  my theory is that i laced up my right boot too tightly, and this affected how my foot was striking the ground when i walked.  if anyone is familiar with limmer boots, they make it very easy to lace them tight and keep your foot seated very securely.  that is a wonderful thing for preventing toe bang on downhills. 

has anyone experienced something like this? any alternate explanations i might consider? I'm sure i will think about how i lace these boots up the next time I use them, but that probably won't be for at least a few days...and i want an answer NOW!

11:44 p.m. on March 29, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I bailed out of a pair of Limmer Standards.   Sold 'em.

I had a similar 'issue';  only, I was shlepping more pack weight ( abt 1/2 my body weight).   Usually, I was good  (feet felt fine).   THEN -- unexplainably, on another hike a few weeks later -- BAM !    Pain city.

I was puzzled.   Began wearing the Limmers around on my around-town jaunts (no pack), and on construction projects (including on bare floor-joists and bare rafters).   No problems.

Tried different footbed liners.   Different lacing techniques.

I WANTED the Limmers to "work".   They didn't.  Occasional foot-pain / problems were a "NO OPTION" predicament.   Too much time and money invested in hiking / backpacking trips to have them cut-short by ill-fitting boots.

Now -- back to wearing my trusty 30+ year old Fabiano's (Herman Munster designer-series) and a 10 year old pair of Scarpa's.   BTW -  I have 3-pairs of Fabiano's (all different, for different applications).

I am going to New Hampshire in a few months, to climb the White's.     Will visit Peter's (Limmer) shop.   Might spring for another pair.   THIS TIME ... will make sure I get proper fit.  No mail order jive.

I probably am not helping you much with advice, leadbelly2550.   Merely, corroborating your experience with that of my own.

In my own case, I have given thought to the possibility my feet have changed, over time.   

However; the aforementioned Fabiano's and Scarpa's STILL are comfortable, after all these years.

They will be enshrined in r2's personal gear "Hall Of Fame".

pax vobiscum

~ r2 ~

3:38 p.m. on March 30, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,283 forum posts

the simplest explanation is usually correct.  it turns out i had a really large blister that developed underneath a thick callus.  like walking on a marble for an hour.  i should probably ditch the liner socks going forward, i don't often use them anyway. 

i doubt the boots had anything to do with this.

8:43 p.m. on March 30, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
580 forum posts

Whew, you had me worried. At first, thinking a metatarsal was a type of lemur, I was confused. Then the Limmer issue -- very strange. But now I'm pleased that you are no longer kicking rare Madagascar species and Limmers are alright. Goodoh!

8:49 p.m. on March 30, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

leadbelly2550- glad to hear it was nothing serious. I have been there with the blister under callous thing. Mine had a red tinge to them(blood) and I have to say were quite painful. Not fun at all...

overmywaders- I actually got a chuckle from that. Thanks, I needed it.

July 31, 2014
Quick Reply