Stove question

6:11 p.m. on April 3, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
51 forum posts

I've got a Snow Peak gigapower.  It weighs almost nothing and works great.  I'm curious about the various Jetboils though.  Is the main advantage that they heat water so fast that you are saving on fuel?  Otherwise, the Jetboil is much heavier...  is there any other advantage, and how do you figure the fuel/weight savings comparison?

7:04 p.m. on April 3, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

Since the Jet boil system relies in part on additional hardware to obtain fuel efficiency it follows the longer the trip the more efficient, relative to other canister stoves.  Thus the JB is more a gadget in this regard when considering normal weekend use. 

Furthermore if one was considering an extended trip - a week or more - white gas stoves start to look more efficient, since petro fuels require less container weight per BTU.  But we are splitting hairs.  Unless this is an obsession, go with whatever stove floats your boat, and shave excess weight from your waist instead.

Ed

8:22 p.m. on April 3, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
51 forum posts

"shave excess weight from your waist instead"

AHHAHAHAA!  You know me too well!   :)

9:08 p.m. on April 3, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Yes, what whomeworry said.

I have used white gas, canister, alcohol, and they do have savings (pros & cons) of differing types and weight savings (amount of fuel needed) based on time in the field, but many times I use what I feel, based on experience, is the most convenient for me.

Most times I go with white gas and / or  alcohol. Canister stoves are very easy to use, that is a valid point, but the fuel cost out over a years time gets much more expensive that white gas or alcohol, and I prefer to spend my money in other areas.

Besides I cut my teeth on white gas and I enjoy the art of using it.

I also have a Giga Power and consider it to be the best, current, sit on top canister stove. Hard to beat in IMO based on actual use VS other sit on tops.

For trips up to a week long  I would choose the Giga Power over the Jet Boil, not that the Jet Boil is not a great design, it is, but just based on weight. I have used a Jet Boil, it is a great stove / pot design, the subject is subjective based on preference, time in field, allotment of weight and space VS other gear requirements, etc.

In other words...I don't know, Haha.

Buy one, try it out. I am on a tight budget myself, and I still buy new gear to try out and use for field experience, and to see what works best for me!

Mike G.

4:23 a.m. on April 4, 2012 (EDT)
52 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

I have never understood the craze for stoves that sit so high off the ground and I imagine with the pot full of water, the centre of gravity is even higher. But they continue to get good reviews for efficiency.

However, I recall that older stoves such as the optimus crux are not that bad compared to the newer designs of canister-tops. A good design like the snowpeak would be worth staying with and checking reviews for comparison - if it is a bit inefficient in fuel use, it might be more efficient in durability.

I have been using one of the newer, some kind of titanium pot rests design, by Primus. Firstly, the stove got loose and required a micro hex key or allen key, something you cannot even buy in some towns. Then the titanium arms kept getting stuck in their locks, needing oil which made them a bit too loose. Then the oil seemed to burn up and cause too much friction in the lock joints, making them almost impossible to unlock. So I tried to unlock them and twisted the burner head, which now twists but doesn't actually unscrew. The pot rests have always been loose when in their lock position.

So I went into the gear shops and had a look at the canister-top stoves that used a folding pot support design, giving them all a good shake, jiggle, twist (the backpacker equivalent of kicking tires, except it makes sense). All of the ones they had except for the MSR pocket rocket were pretty loose.

If you need a new stove, try the new MSR remote gas canister one with the inverted cartridge design, forget what it is called. They are a bit expensive in the UK but the price may drop. I say this because the Primus spider remotes have a base support and legs design where the sheet metal is flat or flush, parallel to the earth, not 90 degrees or perpendicular. This means that when you push down on the stove to make it sit in the grass/soil, it is very easy to press too hard and bend the legs up into the stove; whereas the ones that have the sheet metal legs running 90 degrees are not going to bend. (It is like the idea of a paint scraper, bends more easily when running parallel to the wall than sticking into the wall.)

For stability with the canister-tops, try the fold out accessory legs, they're good. Some new metal ones by MSR might be even better as the Primus ones do not twist in both directions (when you need to twist the control knob around to your side) for some strange reason.

5:48 a.m. on April 4, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,296 forum posts

The jet boils are good at what they do, but i agree they are simply more gadgety, and the giga power, pocket rocket etc do just as well. Most of the 'extra' pieces that come with the jetboil are thin plastic, and the ones i have seen cracked to the point of uselessness within a year.

11:15 a.m. on April 4, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

ww well said, short but to the point

5:13 p.m. on April 4, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,071 forum posts

Could have sworn I posted here earlier? I use a Pocket Rocket stove and the large Giga Power Snow Peak canister. It lasts me at least 2 weeks, I use it just long enought to bring the water to a boil. I add the pasta then turn it off and let the pasta cook in the hot water covered with a lid.  I rarely use the stove for more than one meal a day.

6:21 p.m. on April 4, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
51 forum posts

Hey here's another question for you guys: what's the deal with the Steripen?  It seems like the Sawyer Filter Bottle would be better:

http://www.rei.com/product/822013/sawyer-water-treatment-filter-bottle

It doesn't need batteries and you don't have to wait 2 minutes to drink your water.  I don't think the weight is much different, when you consider that the Sawyer *is* the water bottle while you have to add a bottle to the Steripen.

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply