Goal Zero Guide 10 Plus Adventure Kit (Solar Charger)...

7:04 p.m. on April 12, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Anyone out there have any experience with the Goal Zero's Guide 10 Plus Adventure Kit? I am considering snagging up this solar charger for my trips. 

http://www.goalzero.com/shop/p/79/Guide-10-Adventure-Kit/1:1/

I am going to use it for small items such as AA & AAA batteries as well as my cell, etc...

I just intend on charging small capacity items. Nothing large.

Here is the manufacturer's video for those that are not familiar with this model:

Thanks for any feedback in advance.

8:02 p.m. on April 12, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
27 reviewer rep
103 forum posts
Re: Goal Zero Guide 10 Plus Adventure Kit...

Yeah Ive had one for quite some time. The Guide 10 is the compliment to the system, its really what makes it work. Buy an extra set of batteries so you can charge one while you use the other. I highly recommend using the guide 10 to charge over the solar panel. The Panel only charges at a certain voltage and can change depending upon light conditions while the guide 10 has a constant output. If you want to charge something like an I phone you need a constant output so the guide 10 is necessary. Its also cool to just use the 10 alone on smaller trips. Charge it at home and then just put it in your pocket and go. 

I have found it very effective at charging the guide 10 when I strap the Nomad 7 panel to my back pack and hike throughout the day.

=MJG

8:11 p.m. on April 12, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Thanks Mumblefords.

I was going to use the clip to the pack method you mentioned. 

I would be using the Nomad 7 panel to primarily charge the Guide 10 as you suggested then just charging my other electronic items with the Guide 10.

I was just going to get the whole kit and snag up another set of AAs as well as a set or 2 of the AAAs with the adapter. 

I thought this would be a pretty effective set-up for my 1 week+ trips. 

Thanks again for the input. 

11:19 p.m. on April 12, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

i too have just started thinking of a solar charger.  This is great that you posted this Rick.

11:20 p.m. on April 12, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Nice vid but this one is too big for me.

11:47 p.m. on April 12, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Callahan said:

Nice vid but this one is too big for me.

They do offer a smaller version but be aware that it charges at half the rate as the one I am looking into(posted above.)

Here is the smaller version:

http://www.goalzero.com/shop/p/132/Guide-10-Plus-Mobile-Kit/1:1/

And here is the side by side comparison between the 2 units:

http://www.goalzero.com/small-guide.html

August 21, 2014
Quick Reply