Keen Sandals

8:36 a.m. on April 16, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

Do you were socks with your Keens?

10:09 a.m. on April 16, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
912 forum posts

No. The only place I wear sandals is at the beach or other water front.  Sandy, wet socks are horrible. 

10:37 a.m. on April 16, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

no

10:39 a.m. on April 16, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I wear wool(or fleece) socks with my Keen McKenzies when the temps are on the chilly side. 

asstd-3-006.jpg

With Keen socks as well :p

10:48 a.m. on April 16, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,285 forum posts

Interesting question; I was recently accused of breaking some fashion rule at work (Casual Fridays) when I wore socks with my Chacos. I say wear them if you want to! Fashion is for vain people!

10:55 a.m. on April 16, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Patman said:

Interesting question; I was recently accused of breaking some fashion rule at work (Casual Fridays) when I wore socks with my Chacos. I say wear them if you want to! Fashion is for vain people!

I am more worried over function than fashion. I think sandals and socks are quite comfy. I wouldn't wear them in the snow but in dry chilly weather they are fine. 

Nice around camp on a cool evening/morning.

So many people are so concerned with what they look like. 

Wildlife does not read GQ magazine...

11:22 a.m. on April 16, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

Not worried about the fashion police. More worried about my feet. Would like to wear the Keens on a May trip to GSNP. No over night trips, just some long day trips. I just have not wore them with socks yet.

2:58 p.m. on April 16, 2012 (EDT)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Dude Of course!!! You have to when its cold. Or else you have to put shoes.

6:12 p.m. on April 16, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,298 forum posts

cold mornings on canoe trips, i'll wear wool socks with Chaco Z-1s.  the only keens i have owned, newports i think, were pretty snug and i never wore socks with them. 

6:19 p.m. on April 16, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I'm a Teva(Omnium) fan. I wear socks with them too. 

9:07 a.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

Thanks. I am worried about blisters going any distance at all. I will have to try both ways.

1:14 p.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

Sucks to get grit and pebbles trapped in Chacos. I'm not able to simply shake them out. Usually requires removing the sandle. I've had the same experience with Keens. Therefore, where i hang out, I never hike in either.

1:22 p.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

jad said:

Sucks to get grit and pebbles trapped in Chacos. I'm not able to simply shake them out. Usually requires removing the sandle. I've had the same experience with Keens. Therefore, where i hang out, I never hike in either.

jad,

If ya look at the Keens I posted above(the McKenzies) Keen has added mesh side panels to this model so you can still get the free flowing air and water in between your toes that their other models offer but it keeps the rocks(and other debris) out.

They also make another model like this called the Turia(see link below) and the Ambler Mesh.

Turia:

http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/product/ss12/shoes/men/waterfront/turia%20shoe/dark%20shadow!pompeian%20red

Ambler:

http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/product/ss12/shoes/men/trailhead/ambler%20mesh/stone%20grey!bronze%20green

1:38 p.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

Rick

Point taken. Those would solve the problem.

1:53 p.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

jad said:

Rick

Point taken. Those would solve the problem.

To an extent. Smaller debris has made its way through the mesh on my McKenzies. If something does get in them it makes removing the footwear a definite.

The Turias look to be a tighter weave mesh so this may not be as much of a problem on this model. But then again one can only see so much in a manufacturers photo.

The Ambler looks like even a tighter weave so the only thing that may make its way through to the inner is dust buildup.

Just an observation.

1:59 p.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

I was out hiking the other day and talked to a chick wearing those five toe shoe thingies. She totally loved them, said she could blast through water rocks anything with those things. She was really good looking too, so she had my total attention.

2:01 p.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Lol, a few members here have reviewed them. I am actually looking into the Trek Sports for an upcoming trip I am "attempting" around late August.

2:07 p.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

Considering the fact that I live about eight months of the year in flip-flops, I probably should try a pair myself. I kayak a lot and they might be fly.

7:00 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

I'm a Teva(Omnium) fan. I wear socks with them too. 

+1

7:23 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

I own Teva's but I dont wear socks with my sandals ever. I only wear them in water or as camp shoes during spring and summer.

8:03 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Yes, I always were socks with my Keens and or any other sandals. My Keens/sandals always dirt get in them and then, as my feet sweet they turn into a shloggy slippery mess that is quite disgusting as well as dangerous when going down hill. It's socks all the way for me. There is an added bonus as it really upsets my brother for some reason when I wear socks with my sandals, so when I'm around him I always try and wear white socks so there as noticeable as possible. ;-}>

6:22 a.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

Thanks for the help. I am going to try them with and with out the socks.

11:51 a.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

apeman said:

Yes, I always were socks with my Keens and or any other sandals. My Keens/sandals always dirt get in them and then, as my feet sweet they turn into a shloggy slippery mess that is quite disgusting as well as dangerous when going down hill. It's socks all the way for me. There is an added bonus as it really upsets my brother for some reason when I wear socks with my sandals, so when I'm around him I always try and wear white socks so there as noticeable as possible. ;-}>

You should go for the ol' school hi-top tube socks with the stripes up top. Oh and make sure you pull them all the way up to you knees.

12:38 p.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Here is an interesting design by Teva:

12:48 p.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

I drink tall neck Sam Adams. Therefore I wear Reef flip flops for the built in bottle opener.

3:57 p.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Everyone seems to be assuming that 'Keens' are a sandal. While they make few varieties of sandals, they also make trail shoes.

If the OP is worried about blisters, he sure shouldn't be wearing sandals for hiking (sand and grit under a strap is just asking for trouble), but if he's talking about shoes or boots, then two pairs of socks (or liner + socks) is way better.

4:05 p.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

peter1955 said:

Everyone seems to be assuming that 'Keens' are a sandal. While they make few varieties of sandals, they also make trail shoes.

Its somewhat obvious that the OP is referring to sandals being I am not sure why one would not wear socks with most of their footwear and why someone would wear socks(anything short of noprene) with their watershoes if used for kayaking, etc. 

The thread title is "Keen Sandals." The OP is not referring to Keen boots, shoes or anything else that Keen produces. 

Kind of a dead give away if ya go by the thread title. 

Being Keen Sandals was specified in the thread title if we start poking into their other models we may be heading into an off topic discussion being the OP is asking questions in regards to Keen Sandals specifically. 

Out of fairness to the OP it would be more to his benefit if we were to stay on topic and one can start a separate thread in the gear selection forum in regards to the various Keen models if one wants to discuss this more in depth.  

5:48 p.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

apeman said:

You should go for the ol' school hi-top tube socks with the stripes up top. Oh and make sure you pull them all the way up to you knees.

Pretty close to what I do.  I do wear the tubes with the colored bands around the top though they just don't quite come up to my knee's.  It makes him squirm for some reason, he just can't stand it.  I believe it insults his fashion sense.  He gets most agitated when he thinks woman are looking at my feet.  I do it out of brotherly love.

On another note.  I'm not especially fond of keens (sandals, shoes, boots) nor do I dislike them, they are just ok.  I will not however pay the silly prices commanded for them when they are new and wait for them to show up at my local Goodwill store.  I usually score two pair of sandals a year and that's about the rate I go thru them.

5:57 p.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

My mistake. I looked at the posting, read the followups, and completely missed the title.

In regard to staying on topic, I would refer you to other posts about Vibram Five-fingers, flipflops, Tevas and Chacko Z1s.

In fairness, you will also note my concerns about wearing sandals for hiking, especially in regard to the OP's worries about blisters.

6:08 p.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I agree as well. I will not wear sandals on trail. To many rocks this way. One of the things that worries me about VFFs is(as I posted on another thread)being each individual toe is isolated and more "free moving" would the risk of breaking a toe due to playing soccer with a rock under the surface that you didn't see be greater?

I would think so. 

I am fighting the urge to buy a pair of Trek Sports but still not on either side of the fence as of yet.

I really like the toe protection that my Omniums provide. I have had problems with Keen footwear in general in the past. 

But as I said I have worn fleece, and my woolies with my Keens as pictured above and they were fine. 

I actually find it quite comfortable.

6:38 p.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

peter1955 said:

My mistake. I looked at the posting, read the followups, and completely missed the title.

In regard to staying on topic, I would refer you to other posts about Vibram Five-fingers, flipflops, Tevas and Chacko Z1s.

In fairness, you will also note my concerns about wearing sandals for hiking, especially in regard to the OP's worries about blisters.

Peter Teva's and Chaco's were mentioned because they make hiking sandals. and that would be on point if asking if you wear socks in sandals in general.

October 23, 2014
Quick Reply