New baselayer tee

2:22 p.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

http://www.rei.com/product/828662/smartwool-microweight-crew-shirt-wool-mens

I had been looking for a new wool tee because I don't like pushing my sleeves up all summer. I love this shirt. Mine is the silvery grey color to stay cooler. It's every bit as nice as my Icebreaker, and in fact is silkier. I worried that the shoulder seam would be an issue under my straps, but it's flat felled (or whatever the hell they call it) so hasn't been bothersome at all. Moisture management is stellar.

Just sayin'

7:36 p.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Jad - you look like you have been working out.

I have an MEC 'version' and I just can't come to terms with the very slight itch.  I am too sensitive because the benefits of wool are proven.

For 3 season type treks I use a short sleeve synthetic with a long sleeve hooded windshirt.  At least for now.....

8:37 p.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

Thank you darlin'

10:01 p.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

looks great

10:49 p.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

Or you may decide to go cheap.  Back in the day I learned from some dirt baggers in Boulder of the virtues of Hawaiian shirts.  I don’t mean those boutique, pricy, Tommy Bahamas types, I mean those $10 cheapies they peddle in the drug stores.  Wicks sweat well, dries quickly, and does the other sundry duties you expect of any base layer, but for a fraction of the price.  And there is nothing like looking the consumate tourist in the middle of nowhere.  (Hey can you tell me which trail leads to the Statue of Liberty?)

Ed

11:18 p.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

I always wear my silk leopard skin boxers. The squirrels think they're dead sexy.

11:42 p.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Stoic Merino 150 quarter zip.    Can't find a picture at the moment.

3:09 p.m. on April 18, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,291 forum posts

merino wool t-shirts are a great option.  very comfortable, markedly less odor issues, good over a wide temperature range.  two caveats in my view: 

first, most brands (smartwool, icebreaker for example) don't tend to wear as well as synthetic, more prone to getting holes.  patagonia has been fooling around with wrapping the wool around nylon fibers to give them more durability.  not sure yet if that's a good strategy, but the long-sleeved patagonia merino shirt using that solution is pretty nice - to early to say how well it resists abuse. 

second, in very humid conditions, it doesn't matter what shirt i'm wearing - it WILL be drenched after a hard day of hiking.  merino doesn't 'wear dry' as fast as synthetic t-shirts or short-sleeved synthetic hiking shirts with collars (eg the button or snap front & vented shirts from columbia and others of that ilk). 

3:27 p.m. on April 18, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

For those of you that can't wear wool, I have two words... I'm sorry.

3:33 p.m. on April 18, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,252 forum posts

leadbelly2550 said:

merino wool t-shirts are a great option.  very comfortable, markedly less odor issues, good over a wide temperature range.  two caveats in my view: 

first, most brands (smartwool, icebreaker for example) don't tend to wear as well as synthetic, more prone to getting holes.  patagonia has been fooling around with wrapping the wool around nylon fibers to give them more durability.  not sure yet if that's a good strategy, but the long-sleeved patagonia merino shirt using that solution is pretty nice - to early to say how well it resists abuse. 

second, in very humid conditions, it doesn't matter what shirt i'm wearing - it WILL be drenched after a hard day of hiking.  merino doesn't 'wear dry' as fast as synthetic t-shirts or short-sleeved synthetic hiking shirts with collars (eg the button or snap front & vented shirts from columbia and others of that ilk). 

I haven’t tried the merino tees yet (---keep choking on the price).

It is interesting that even among the synthetic choices some perform vastly different than others. I have an Under Armor synthetic (sorry don’t remember which material it is, they use a few different ones) that is super comfortable but takes significantly longer to dry than a cheap Champion brand that I bought from Target (it’s a double layer jersey style –all polyester of some kind).

I also like high exertion hikes and I sweat rivers…so the “dry time” is of some import to me. To try and reduce the number of garments I carry on multi-day hikes, I’ve tried to develop the discipline of putting back on the smelly sweaty shirt worn the day before. It’s not my favorite discipline to say the least!

3:42 p.m. on April 18, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

wool shirts don't stink like synthetics

end of story

3:44 p.m. on April 18, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

jad said:

For those of you that can't wear wool, I have two words... I'm sorry.

I'm just too sensitive.

Works with the ladies.

4:17 p.m. on April 18, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

Word

7:03 p.m. on April 18, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

ocalacomputerguy said:

Stoic Merino 150 quarter zip.    Can't find a picture at the moment.

+1. great piece at a great price on SteepandCheap.com

Merino Wool is the best for this SoCal native, where it's always dry.

I also have a super soft Rayon/Merino blend baselayer Tee. 3 in fact, from Kenyon. Made in the USA. so soft and functional. Hard to find now though.

7:08 p.m. on May 9, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

I found a great value at WalMart; they sell a wicking tee in their men's sportswear department for short money that has performed as well asmy North Face wicking tee. In a perfectly planned financial world I would purchase items from Ibex.

12:24 a.m. on May 10, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Haven't tried the REI merino-woolies.   Probably a good choice.

I've made the switch (from synths) to merino-wool several years ago.   No looking back.

Now, about a dozen or so in my quiver.   Long-sleeve and short-sleeve.   Ibex, Smart-Wool, Icebreaker, I/O Biocompatibles  (hard to find, and not for 'fatties').

They have become my first-choice for everyday wear, as well.  Great sleep-wear.

~ r2 ~

8:55 a.m. on May 10, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

The tactical series from underarmour includes some wicking shirts. They are designed to keep the military cool in the middle east. They work great but I have yet to find a short sleeve in this line.

11:12 p.m. on May 14, 2012 (EDT)
51 reviewer rep
23 forum posts

I have been trying out a few Merino Wool Tee's recently. Smartwool, Icebreaker, RedRam, I/O, they all make quality stuff. They are the best shirts you can buy if you can find them at price.  I wear them for days at a time and they don't smell at all. They are not as plush on the skin as a synthetic wicking Tee, but that's why I have both in my closet.

8:06 a.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Raiders99999 said:

I have been trying out a few Merino Wool Tee's recently. Smartwool, Icebreaker, RedRam, I/O, they all make quality stuff. They are the best shirts you can buy if you can find them at price.  I wear them for days at a time and they don't smell at all. They are not as plush on the skin as a synthetic wicking Tee, but that's why I have both in my closet.

What he said ....

~ r2 ~

6:20 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
29 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

I would look into Under Armour short sleeve shirts, they even make one from cotton that wicks away moisture and dries much faster than regular cotton shirts

August 27, 2014
Quick Reply