Hilleberg Anjan Alternative

3:46 p.m. on April 18, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts
4:08 p.m. on April 18, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

I have never seen a Vango tent, but, have seen and checked out the other British highend tents made since the 1960s. I like the look of this one very much and love green tents in general.

FG, do you think that the nylon they list as the material for the outer tent would be as durable as the Kerlon that Hille. uses? That, to me, is one major issue and especially in regions of little or no timber for shade and protection.

They do have some very interesting tents on their site and I would like to see some of these, if, there was a dealer in Vancouver or perhaps Calgary.

4:24 p.m. on April 18, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

I concur, nice-looking tent.

5:04 p.m. on April 18, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

lighter is better

5:05 p.m. on April 18, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

Not always

6:33 p.m. on April 18, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Dewey - I am not sure whether the fly / fabric would be as strong.

I believe this particular Vango is for 3+ season treks given the fly does not go all the way down.  The Anjan uses Kerlon 1000 which has a tear strength of 22lbs.  I think it is still triple coated with silicone but is a thinner denier fabric (someone please correct me on this if I am wrong).  The Vango is only 15D for the fly so you may be right.  The groundsheet is similar. The fly is rated at a higher hydrostatic head than the Anjan however but both would be functionally waterproof.

I don't think Vango's are available in North America.  I like competition - too bad.

8:17 p.m. on April 26, 2012 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
475 forum posts

I've a silnylon tent I've used for over 15 years at high altitude and heavy weather.  (Stephensons)  I strike it in the morning even If we are not moving on that day and put it up when we need sun shade or just want to get away from the bugs or weather.

Absolutely no UV problems.  It is a backpacking tent, after all, not a base camp tent.

September 15, 2014
Quick Reply