About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

GoLite SALE - 50% off

10:05 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

Check out the site----lasts until Wednesday.

10:07 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Woah... Thanks for the heads up vigilguy. My wife may very well be having a fit in the not so distant future. 

11:10 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
687 forum posts

Oooh.  Nice.  But I am saving for an Anjan from Vigil Guy.....; )

11:22 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Speaking of the Anjan and their other 3 season models. I am curious as to why Hille didn't include a sample of their Kerlon 1000 with the 2012 catalog. 

11:38 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
687 forum posts

Thought about that just the other day, as a matter of fact.

I wonder if Hilleberg is considering offering 3 season version of their other 'lightweight' 4 season tents - the Akto, Unna?

11:46 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

Speaking of the Anjan and their other 3 season models. I am curious as to why Hille didn't include a sample of their Kerlon 1000 with the 2012 catalog. 

Good question.  I will have to ask Petra.  She is back from Sweden now, had a chance to visit with her today about the new Anjans (they shipped out today to me)!

11:52 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

Family Guy said:

Thought about that just the other day, as a matter of fact.

I wonder if Hilleberg is considering offering 3 season version of their other 'lightweight' 4 season tents - the Akto, Unna?

I really don't think so. I asked that a while back and the answer was No.

I don't think that Hilleberg is trying to directly compete with the UL market.  They do what they do best, and that is building 4 season tents.  Sure, these two new models are 3 season tents for Sweden (3+ elsewhere), and they have tested them in snow conditions, but I am confident they will not ever sacrifice durability for weight savings. 

If you carefully watch the video on the Hilleberg website about the Anjan setup, it's really amazing at how versatile this new tent model really is. Can't wait to use it.

11:54 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

FYI, the Anjan is already "sold out" at Hilleberg.

Those of us retailers that pre-ordered them will have some on hand by Monday.

11:55 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

It would be like Ferarri selling a hatchback

11:56 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

Back on track about Golite---

I did pick up a Shangri-La 5 this afternoon before they sold out.  Makes a good "cook tent" above timberline in bear country.

12:02 a.m. on April 20, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
687 forum posts

jad said:

It would be like Ferarri selling a hatchback

Would you believe they do?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-cars/first/revealed!-the-2012-ferrari-ff

I agree that there is some brand value to maintain with very real benefits.  I just thought a lighter version of the XL Unna would be neat.  Definitely a market for larger folks.

What colors are you getting, VigilGuy?

12:35 a.m. on April 20, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

Family Guy said:

What colors are you getting, VigilGuy?

Green

3:04 a.m. on April 20, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

Nice VigilGuy! congrats and enjoy :)

1:25 p.m. on April 20, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Yippeeeee

6:17 p.m. on April 20, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

A Shangri La 3 tent for $150? Wow, that's a great deal. May have to pull the trigger...

6:47 p.m. on April 20, 2012 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

Thanks for posting that Vigil. Been scoping a new tent... Really like the Eden 2 but wish they had an Eden 3. Anyone have any experience with the Eden? Seems a little heavy, not too much, but a little, for a two person but also seems very roomy and full featured. Wonder if I could squeeze my eight year old in between my wife and myself?

I know, I know... they have the Shangrila 3 & 4. Nothing personal to those who have them but they are just weird to me. Don't like the pole in the middle of the tent thing at all. I don't even have a trekking pole.

9:30 p.m. on April 20, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
687 forum posts

JerseyWreckDiver said:

I know, I know... they have the Shangrila 3 & 4.   I don't even have a trekking pole.

Don't need them as both the 3 & 4 come with a dedicated tent pole.

7:53 p.m. on April 21, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,028 reviewer rep
1,208 forum posts

I checked out the GoLite sale this week (@vigilguy, thanks for posting) since I have had my eye on the Terrono 70 (http://www.trailspace.com/gear/golite/terrono-70/) as a potential candidate to be my first internal frame pack.  But, as with each time I've checked in the past, that model is listed at $99 (was $300-ish), but is "Temporarily Out of Stock".  I guess it must be either extremely popular or they don't make very many of them.  The few times I've seen them at that price they only had the bright neon glowing yellow version (ack!!!!).  Naturally I prefer the green one :).

Actually it would be nice if there were a place locally where I could view this model in person, and try it on, rather than buying sight unseen and un-fitted.  The last time I checked there wasn't...

7:58 p.m. on April 21, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I wish companies would let ya make a deposit and send ya a tester for fit, etc and once the tester was returned you could either use the deposit towards the purchase of a new one or get your money back.

I think this would open quite a few doors for alot of companies. 

Just a thought. 

8:11 p.m. on April 21, 2012 (EDT)
1,028 reviewer rep
1,208 forum posts

GoLite does seem to have a decent returns policy.  But paying for shipping & the hassle of packaging the size of a large pack aren't too enticing when I haven't even seen the item in person.

I'm all about buying online (I should own stock in Amazon).  But some things - clothing being one - and packs being another - beg "check in person before buying.  Plus I would like to load it up with my gear, including hard-to-fit stuff like camera gear, to make sure it all works...

11:37 p.m. on April 21, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
367 forum posts

wish I knew more about their tents.  I'm in the market, and I cannot afford a Hilleberg right now.  and the tent confusion continues to multiply...

2:25 p.m. on April 22, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

I wish companies would let ya make a deposit and send ya a tester for fit, etc and once the tester was returned you could either use the deposit towards the purchase of a new one or get your money back.

I think this would open quite a few doors for alot of companies. 

Just a thought. 

A great idea. Golite should do this immediately...

2:35 p.m. on April 22, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

Zeno Marx said:

wish I knew more about their tents.  I'm in the market, and I cannot afford a Hilleberg right now.  and the tent confusion continues to multiply...

amen to that. too many choices out there. Golite does make your choice easier - if you want a freestanding tent, then look elsewhere. They don't have one.

1:31 a.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

bheiser1,  They do have several stores, Bolder, Denver, and Castle Rock Outlet mall.  Just load up the gear in the car and head towards the east side of the Rockies, about half way down, just ask someone should be able to point you in the right direction! :)

By the way I used the SL3 this weekend with one of my kids on the coast, Shi Shi clean up, and it was really nice.  I used my trekking poles to hold up the tent, that worked but I need something that secures them a little tighter.  No rain, but did have some good gusty winds at night.  Worked like a charm.  So fat two thumbs up.

Rick, Yea Good luck with that idea!  walks a way shaking his head....

JerseyWreckDiver is it just the pole?  Shape actually works fairly well, but they are far from free standing.  If you camp in lots of wooded areas you can always use a line from the outside center of the tent up to a secure branch and wa la, no internal pole.  By the way, that the only way I can see getting 3 people in it, except for maybe 3 kids.  Center pole is nice for hanging stuff off of.  :) One think I really don't like about the Golite web site is their complete lack of tent drawing, SF is one thing seeing the layout and cross section is a whole lot better. 

Family Guy Hatch back my butt!  That's a race car!! :p

Wolfman

2:26 p.m. on April 25, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Remember that Golite's 50% off sale ends today from what I understand.  I just went to their site and it seems the Shangri-La 5 Tent is still for sale.  At least it's not listed at the moment as sold out. 

2:49 p.m. on April 25, 2012 (EDT)
1,028 reviewer rep
1,208 forum posts

Wolfman said:

bheiser1,  They do have several stores, Bolder, Denver, and Castle Rock Outlet mall.  Just load up the gear in the car and head towards the east side of the Rockies, about half way down, just ask someone should be able to point you in the right direction! :)

Hmmm, yeah, or maybe they'll open a store in the Bay Area :).

7:46 p.m. on April 25, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

For those of you who could just kick yourself(s) for not taking advantage of Golite's 50% off sale, it has been extended.  They still have the Shangri-La 5 Tent in Evergreen for sale.  The young lady I spoke to did not have a end date for the sale but only said it had been extended.  I would guess that it will go until they are rid of their current stock but this is just a guess.  Don't wait to long.

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply