Tarptent Stratospire 2

8:32 a.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
106 forum posts

Anyone here has experience with this tent? I'm looking to get a lightweight tent for those long 3 season trips for me and my wife, that one seems great, they provide an alternative for tracking poles in case I want to go without them which are just 5 oz for the pair.  They also have one called the Double Rainbow which doesn't use the poles but is less spacious.

Some concerns I have are:

1. I use a long sleeping bag, top to bottom its 87 inches, that thing is 86 inches, some tent manufacturers like to give measurements of a completely stretched out, coming right from the furthest edges they can find in the interior, which realistically gets several inches shorter when you pitch the tent. 

2. I believe (could be wrong) that the tent is made of silicone coated nylon, how does that behave under windy storms? 

Some things I like about this tent is that it can be pitched either as a tarp or just the interior mesh living space.  They can stay clipped together, so you can pitch the whole tent in the rain without getting the inside wet. The vestibules can be opened in the rain so you can make a meal there or vent out the tent in case it rains for days. The tent is super light with big living space and has two entrances, can't ask for too much more for a warm weather tent, Anyone can pick some negatives I should be aware about or something I should consider before I pull the trigger on this baby? 

3:58 p.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

4:02 p.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

Max I own two tarptents by Henry Shires I thought this video by Franco could be some help to you in your decision. I know my Virga can withstand wind when tightend up. Mine are both silnylon. I would suggest you have them seal your seems as well..

6:33 p.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
160 forum posts

hi Maxx I look after Tarptent in Australia but participate in various forums for fun as I have done  for several years before I became part of Tarptent. Your number 1 point is a very good one since it is often overlooked or as you imply wall slope is not taken into consideration. Technically the SS2 is 1 inch shorter than you mat.. This picture should give you an idea how however I think that you will be fine in there.

ss2-6-1.jpg

The wall on one side of each end is raised vertically several inches (about 1 foot) at the other end less so but between the inner and the fly there is a good gap, so even pushing against the mesh will not get you in contact with the fly, providing that you keep the tent taut. Silnylon sags when cold and or wet, so if you pitch it in dry weather and then it rains you will need to re-tension it. Usually I do that just before I go to sleep. With the SS2 this can be done from the inside if you are using expandable trekking poles. Here is another video with some extra details :

Franco

8:40 a.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,285 forum posts

Maxx,

I have no personal experience with the TarpTents but be aware that they use a 30D fabric for the floor and canopy (that’s pretty thin for a floor but of course common in this product category). Those are some cool looking tents aren’t they?

9:36 a.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
106 forum posts

Yeah, I was very impressed with the design, I contacted the owner and he said as long as the tent was not used outdoors and in like new condition I can return it for a refund minus shipping charges (within 90 days), so  I went ahead and ordered it. I'm really picky with my gear, but I'm blown away by how versatile this tent is,  I just have to pitch it indoors and give it a try, maybe even sleep in it a night or two.  I'm still worried about misting in heavy rain and wind though... The other day here in Orlando we had a storm pass by, I could barely open the double doors at my job because of the wind, and within minutes it rained so hard that a little water puddle turned into something that could well be classified as a swimming pool. Never had that happen when I was backpacking, and I'm sure the trees would help with the wind, but it always make you wonder if your gear is ready for the challenge.

12:18 p.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Patman said:

Maxx,

I have no personal experience with the TarpTents but be aware that they use a 30D fabric for the floor and canopy (that’s pretty thin for a floor but of course common in this product category). Those are some cool looking tents aren’t they?

That is the same denier for the new Hilleberg 3 season shelters.

12:20 p.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Family Guy said:

Patman said:

Maxx,

Also the same as my BA Copper Spur 1.

5:52 p.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

Family Guy said:

Patman said:

Maxx,

Also the same as my BA Copper Spur 1.

Indeed - and you haven't had any issues, correct?

7:21 p.m. on May 6, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Nope, none as of yet. I do use the 30D BA footpint(also needed for quickpitch) with it but its fine. Granted its nowhere near as "robust" as the floor on my Hille or my Eureka Mountain Pass tents that I have had but we are talking different classes of tents designed for different purposes.

So the biggest thing to me is just pay attention to your pitch locations and use some type of ground cloth and all should be well.

I personally wouldn't use my BA w/o something under it but that is dependent upon region, etc.

For instance if I was pitching on sand I wouldn't be too concerned with using a ground sheet.

1:41 p.m. on May 7, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

That is light

2:10 p.m. on May 7, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

There is a Stratospire 2 on gear trade for $260(excellent cond.)

http://www.geartrade.com/item/260536

7:04 p.m. on May 7, 2012 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
106 forum posts

Damn, that's a good deal! I already got mine though, real big tent for its size packed, very light and roomy, my sleeping bag didn't fit in it and will be touching the mesh but I will cover with something, I will write a full review once I use it enough =)

October 24, 2014
Quick Reply