About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Hilleberg Anjan - first impressions

12:05 p.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

Just received the package from Hilleberg containing the new Anjan 2.

All I can say is...WOW!  The weight and the size of the stuff sack reminds me of the Akto, but the shelter has more inner space. It is REALLY small.

I expected a packaged size comparable to the Nallo, but it is considerably smaller, much like the Akto, as I mentioned.

Looks like this will be my lightweight shelter of choice for the Winds, above treeline.

Anybody want a used Unna?

(Disclosure - I am an authorized Hilleberg retailer and user).

12:13 p.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

vigilguy, any chance you could fire up a few pics when ya get it set up? 

12:19 p.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
687 forum posts

Is there a way to get the inner tent off one's sleeping bag at the foot end like the Nallo?

12:26 p.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I didn't know the name of this tent is pronounced as "onion."

2:01 p.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

@ Rick - will do!

@ David Ure - I doubt it, but I'm not worried about it as much, since I'll be using it in a low humidity environment in the summer and fall, not the winter. I don't see it as a deal breaker. Didn't you deal with it with your Nammatj?

2:05 p.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Thanks vigilguy, I appreciate it. 

2:12 p.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
687 forum posts

vigilguy said:

@ Rick - will do!

@ David Ure - I doubt it, but I'm not worried about it as much, since I'll be using it in a low humidity environment in the summer and fall, not the winter. I don't see it as a deal breaker. Didn't you deal with it with your Nammatj?

Not as much an issue with the Nammatj because the poles are of equal length.  The back pole with the Nallo and Anjan is shorter so the slope is more pronounced at the foot end than with the Nammatj, thereby decreasing effective (and usable) length.

2:26 p.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

@ David Ure-

I used the Nallo on summer trips in the Winds and never had a condensation issue when the foot of my bag touched the inner tent, and it only touched when I used my Exped 9 Downmat.

I used the Nallo 3 GT in snow conditions, and just put my jacket over the foot of my bag, and never worried about it.

To me, it is a nit-pick and I don't lose any sleep over it. Hilleberg designs the length of their inner tents with Rolph Hilleberg as the "model", and he is 6'4". They test their prototypes for two years prior to production, in order to refine the design.

2:41 p.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I know alot of people use their shell(jacket) over the footend of their bag but it can get lost at night if one tosses and turns.

I have resorted to using my pants(waterproof) and they seem to stay in place very well. Especially with the elastic waist and a draw cord. 

I don't know if this is helpful but I figured I would throw it out there. 

3:21 p.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
687 forum posts

Not a big fan of doing that, especially if the jacket is already wet, soaked through or even wet on the inside from condensation.  On the Nallo there is a clip to pull the inner out with the outer fly.

I read through the catalogue last night and the verbiage indicated that for snow, the 3 season tents are not recommended.  I could have sworn I first read that they were suitable for that.  I just can't figure out where.

3:24 p.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Family Guy said:

Not a big fan of doing that, especially if the jacket is already wet, soaked through or even wet on the inside from condensation.  On the Nallo there is a clip to pull the inner out with the outer fly.

I read through the catalogue last night and the verbiage indicated that for snow, the 3 season tents are not recommended.  I could have sworn I first read that they were suitable for that.  I just can't figure out where.

Oh I usually do this in the winter months. I use a lighter tent in the warmer seasons. 

3:40 p.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
687 forum posts

Yeah - I know but these are 3 season tents.

3:44 p.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I am thinking that condensation won't be that big of an issue being the outer is elevated off the ground a bit in comparison to their 4 season offering which should create a chimney effect for better air circulation.

Plus the mesh will help on the doors. 

In the winter I have to open the fabric panels on my Soulo. If not it can turn into a washout. 

4:54 p.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

Folks need to realize that this design was made for those that want the lightest weight for the greatest floor space. Obviously Hilleberg has made sacrifices in comfort in order to cut weight. For those hikers who need and want vertical walls on the head and foot end, Hilleberg makes the Kaitum, Keron, etc. The space between the hoops, making a longer Nallo or Anjan won't happen, as it starts to affect how the outer tent stays apart from the inner fabric. For those hikers that have a lot of nights using the Nallo design, I have not had any negative feedback about their bags touching because they bought the tent for what it is. Again, a 6'4" model was used in the design of the tent.

4:59 p.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I can understand that. I want another Hille but just not sure which one(dome or tunnel.)

5:44 p.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
687 forum posts

Sure, Rolf was used but being 6'4" doesn't matter - the length of sleeping bag, loft, and pad used matter.  Hilleberg does recommend using a rain jacket over the foot of the sleeping bag but this is a band-aid approach for taller folk. You have said that he also used the Akto but I simply cannot sit up in that tent on a 2.5" pad.

BPL test of the Nallo should be out by Thursday so that should give one an idea on room at the foot end.

All they needed to do to the Anjan was to add the additional tie out at the foot end.  Easy Peasy. Seems like quite a few compromises for an almost $600 tent but that is just my opinion.

I was surprised to read that Rolf is stepping down from his duties @ Hilleberg.  I wonder what the next stage of his life will bring?

6:04 p.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Family Guy said:

I was surprised to read that Rolf is stepping down from his duties @ Hilleberg.  I wonder what the next stage of his life will bring?

I am going to start a new thread on this. I read it a few days back. Wonder who he will pass the torch too. 

6:07 p.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
687 forum posts

I guess he will stay on the Board and as an owner.  Maybe taking a well deserved break?

Charlie - post some pics when you get a chance with a bag and pad if possible.  I want one but want to make sure I will be okay with the foot end before laying down the bones.

6:28 p.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Family Guy said:

I guess he will stay on the Board and as an owner.  Maybe taking a well deserved break?

Thread is up with article. 

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/backcountry/topics/124282.html

Thought some may find this interesting. 

1:46 a.m. on April 25, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
778 reviewer rep
472 forum posts

Where can I get a Hilleberg jacket like the guy in the vid?

8:57 a.m. on April 25, 2012 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
1,158 forum posts

Family Guy said:

Is there a way to get the inner tent off one's sleeping bag at the foot end like the Nallo?

I love my Hilleberg Keron tent but only arrived to it after many years of displeasure with the stubby shortness (and consequent wetting of my sleeping bag foot box) with the Nammatj 3 and Staika tents.  The Anjan looks to be as short and angled as the Nammatj, maybe even more so. 

I've written periodic rants about this and about the Hilleberg suggestion to place a rain jacket over the sleeping bag end---but for $600 or $800 why should I need to do this and why doesn't Hilleberg throw in a rain jacket or bivy sac for this purpose, if they know some of their tents are too short?

Many of the Hilleberg models are too angled and therefore too short to prevent this, compounded with the problem of the elastic connectors lengthening thereby "shrinking" the inner tent, i.e. more draping of the yellow canopy onto the sleeping bag foot.  Yes, over time (and in some circumstances) the elastic stretches and reduces inner volume.  This causes an already stubby foot end to be even more stubby, etc.

Backpackers who say they never experience a lofted sleeping bag getting wet at the footbox by touching the foot end of the inner tent makes me wonder how much time they've spent winter camping in the Hillebergs.  There's no way an average 6 foot male on a 77 inch by 2 inch thick thermarest with a 10-12 inch lofted down bag will not when stretched out, touch the canopy end of the Staika or the Nammatj or Nallo or Allak or Soulo or probably the Anjan---and certainly the Akto.  Now throw in a 3.5 inch thick Exped downmat and you'll really see some contact.

The Keron of course (and probably the Kaitum) prevents this bugaboo with vertical ends but it comes at a price in weight.  There are other tents which are longer with more rigid inner tents as their poles keep the canopies tight and away from the bag better.  The MSR four season Fury comes to mind. 

Just some thoughts.

Oh, and finally---I'm sorry Hilleberg discarded their old pro peg stakes and went with the V stakes or the Y stakes.  These new stakes which come standard now on their tents are hell on the hands, difficult to remove when frozen in, and not as long as the pro pegs.  I took a bunch of Y stakes out a couple years ago on a winter trip and ended up breaking one and tearing off another's pull cord.  BTW, here's a way to remove frozen in tent stakes---get a rock and hammer them in an inch and they will release and can be removed.

10:24 a.m. on April 25, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

As always, Tipi, makes some honest and very important points. I own two Soulos, a red and a green and for ME, at 5'8", these are barely long enough for winter camping. I was a little surprised when I received these tents by the small amount of "room" inside, where it counts; yet, given the relative strength and ease of setup in pounding rain or gale-driven snow, they are the best available, IMHO, for we "vertically challenged" persons.

Due to my wife's medical issues, I have been unable to get out since the beginning of 2010, that is changing now and I expect to do some longer camps/treks this year. So, I have not experienced the problems with the Hilles. that Tipi ...rants... about (and I greatly respect his comments, btw).however, based on "yard tests" and a lot of serious winter camping with quite a few different tents, I am happy with the Saivo, especially and the Soulos for short trips.

There is no "perfect" solution and one must choose based on several personal factors; for me, the single best "all around" tent would be a Jannu and I seldom encounter the kind of heat that one would in the southern and western USA. In fact, I have experienced major snow storms in June and even July at 4000 ft. elevation and major blizzards at the beginning of Sept..

This, is "why" I tend to choose a fullon winter tent for everything, such as the Jannu or the Soulo. YMMV and Tipi is well worth listening to on this issue.

12:00 p.m. on April 25, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

I didn't know the name of this tent is pronounced as "onion."

As a long-time pro musician, I tend to notice the background music playing.

Not too bad, other than the rhythm-track.

Probably not many surfers here like me, but, I gotta tell ya' ... the background music playing in surfing vids is abominable.   Whatever happened to "real" surfing-music ?   Not sure (?) what is apropos for hiking and camping.   J.S. Bach to put some "bounce" in your step ?    Maybe (?) Brahms for sleeping.    Heh.  ;)

I realize this is not going to trigger any "helpful" accolades.   But, I did give the post a "helpful" vote.

BTW, Rick --  I think I'm hearing ahhn-yun, more than unn-yun.    Hard to say for sure, what with my tinnitus (too many years in construction biz will do that).   You probably have it, too ... having been in the hydro-blast biz.

~ r2 ~

4:19 p.m. on April 25, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
687 forum posts

We definitely need some pics of it set up with gear inside and as well, relative packed size.

Charlie?

4:33 p.m. on April 25, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

I should get to it this weekend. Glad Trailspace makes it easy to post pictures, so I will be posting several of them.

In a nutshell, if I want comfort, I use my Keron 3GT. If I want to go "fast and light" in the Spring, Summer or Fall, knowing I may sacrifice some features for lightness and small size, I'll use the Anjan.

By the way, RR, you are correct in the pronunciation.

4:38 p.m. on April 25, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

vigilguy said:

I really liked "onion." Maybe it was wishful thinking. 

4:42 p.m. on April 25, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
687 forum posts

vigilguy said:

I should get to it this weekend. Glad Trailspace makes it easy to post pictures, so I will be posting several of them.

In a nutshell, if I want comfort, I use my Keron 3GT. If I want to go "fast and light" in the Spring, Summer or Fall, knowing I may sacrifice some features for lightness and small size, I'll use the Anjan.

Great - thanks.  Please include a pack goat for size comparison (just kidding...; )  )

11:57 p.m. on April 27, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
687 forum posts

I found an e-mail from a retailer (I knew I had it) that indicated that someone my height with a long bag would definitely touch the foot end of the Nallo and so this will be the case with the Anjan.   Grrrrr.   XL version please.

6:59 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

I will be posting some photos of the Anjan, now that I have them in a configuration that I can post them!

Here is the Anjan in its stuff sack, next to a Nalgene bottle.  Seems about the same size as the Akto stuff sack, to me anyway.

IMG_1668.jpg

7:01 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

Here is the front of the Anjan inner tent.  Notice the amount of bug netting, providing more ventilation, but still having the water resistance fabric on the lower 1/4.
IMG_1669.jpg

7:05 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

A new feature for Hilleberg tents...having a gap between the ground and the outer tent.  Notice that it still has an exoskeleton design.  Petra told me at the show that this design (in their experience) is much stronger in their wind tunnel testing as opposed to the rain fly over the poles design.
IMG_1672.jpg

7:07 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

Inside of the Anjan.  Notice the large rear mesh for ventilation.  This is a palace for one, snug for two, but adequate.
IMG_1673.jpg

7:09 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

I favor this model as I like having a lot of interior tent space.  I am 6'1" and 200+ lbs.
IMG_1683.jpg

7:13 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

For those that sleep on their backs, your toes are going to touch the inner fabric. In that case, get a model that has vertical entrances and exits. I sleep on my side, and have used this design extensively with the Nallo, and it has never bothered me personally. I am more excited about the weight and space of this shelter, rather than my toes touching, but that is just me.
IMG_1684.jpg

7:16 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

Photo of me in the vestibule.  I have a long torso, and still had adequate room, and did not feel like my head was going to be touching fabric.
IMG_1691.jpg

7:18 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

Me and my 22 yr old son inside.  He is 6'1" and 200 lbs as well.  We are both broad shouldered, so slimmer folks may have a little moreo elbow room.  Like I said, I sleep on my side, so I am not too concerned about the width, and will be using it mostly as a solo tent.
IMG_1698.jpg

7:20 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

IMG_1701.jpg

7:22 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

Rear of the inner tent, with the outer pulled up, providing good ventilation in nice weather.
IMG_1703.jpg

7:23 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

Standard Hilleberg quality, steel rings, no plastic.
IMG_1704.jpg

7:24 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

Well thought out design, using quality materials as usual.
IMG_1709.jpg

7:26 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

Love the weight and size of this tent!  The stuff sack size reminds me of an Akto, with the space of a Nallo, but with much more ventilation.
IMG_1710.jpg

7:29 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

Summary - 

I am totally excited about this shelter and plan on using it in the Winds in Wyoming, above treeline, and also in the Uintas of Utah, above and below treeline.  It is more versatile than many of their shelters as far as summer use goes in warmer conditions.

I am also taking it to use on Mt. Adams in Washington...we'll be camping at Lunch Counter in July.

in winter, I'll switch to something else, like my Golite Shangri La 5 or my Hilleberg Keron 3 GT.

8:41 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
687 forum posts

Very nice - looks great.  Do you rent?

8:43 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

Yep...but I ain't cheap! ;-)

8:55 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

vigilguy, ever get any feedback why no Kerlon 1000 sample with the 2012 catalog?

Just curious.

10:49 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

I forgot, I will call and check.

10:55 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Cool, no rush. Its not like it needs to be a priority or anything. I guess I am just wondering why they wouldn't include a sample being the 2012 catalog would be the first chance for them to promote the material/tent line.

I mean they have the tents up for grabs but w/o offering a material sample they might be shooting themselves in the foot a bit. 

6:57 a.m. on May 3, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

vigilguy said:

Me and my 22 yr old son inside.  He is 6'1" and 200 lbs as well.  We are both broad shouldered, so slimmer folks may have a little moreo elbow room.  Like I said, I sleep on my side, so I am not too concerned about the width, and will be using it mostly as a solo tent.
IMG_1698.jpg

No pad under you ... correct ?

~ r2 ~

7:55 a.m. on May 3, 2012 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
1,158 forum posts

vigilguy said:

For those that sleep on their backs, your toes are going to touch the inner fabric. In that case, get a model that has vertical entrances and exits. I sleep on my side, and have used this design extensively with the Nallo, and it has never bothered me personally. I am more excited about the weight and space of this shelter, rather than my toes touching, but that is just me.
IMG_1684.jpg

Thanks for including all these wonderful fotogs as it's nice to see a brand new Hilleberg with all the bright unfaded fabrics! 

It's more than just "my toes touching" as you say because most of us use an elevated sleeping pad which throws the feet higher and these feet are usually covered by a lofted down bag which push against the angled foot end as above.  And on occasion the inner black bathtub floor and the yellow canopy will be wet with condensation---or a saturated fly will be packed in the morning and saturate the yellow canopy so when setting up later in the day I will have a completely soaked inner---and if it doesn't dry (or keeps raining all day) there's no way to avoid wetting the end of my sleeping bag.  Minutiae for most but an ongoing problem during long trips.

Good thing is, the weather usually clears up and allows the whole thing to dry.  But sometimes not . . . .

9:08 a.m. on May 3, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

Good point Tipi...I certainly respect your experience. You live in a different part of the country than I do..the SE, correct? I grew up in Corpus Christi, TX, and could not believe the humidity that we experienced when I was a kid, going out on Boy Scout campouts. I still remember the dew on the grass in the mornings, it would soak everything.

I now live in Utah and camp in Wyoming, and the humidity is drastically lower. This may be why, to me, the bag touching the inner tent doesn't bother me. Like I mentioned previously, I have a lot of experience using this design with the Nallo, and the Allak, in the summers in the Wind River range of Wyoming, where the humidity is low ,low, low. Most likely I would feel the same as you if I used it in the South East part of the U.S. plus, I do not plan on using it with a lofty winter bag, only my Valandre Mirage or my Montbell U.L. S.S. #3. I do use Exped mats as well. Hopefully the raised outer shell will significantly help with the ventilation, a design change that I am delighted to see for summer use.

I had a discussion with Petra about this subject, and her comment to me was that users who have had lots of night of experience using this design have not had deal-breaking issues with it, otherwise, I suspect they would change it. I know that they have modified the Nallo rear design over the years. They do listen to consumers, in my experience.

Thanks again for your comments.

9:47 a.m. on May 3, 2012 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
1,158 forum posts

I agree that location can make a huge difference in tent situations.  The Southeast where I live is usually wet and humid and often cold with sleet and high humidity, a real test of any tent.

I also agree with the customer service found with Hilleberg and Petra.  I recently had a tent pole issue and they offered to completely replace all my Keron poles for free.  All I had to do was send an email with a couple photos.

5:07 p.m. on May 3, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Great stuff, vigil guy! Thanks for the early review of the Anjan. Did you get a chance to weigh tent and poles? Hilleberg seem to give different minimum weights across models and I'm keen to know what's the actual weight of just tent and poles, if at all possible. Thanks very much in advance! The Anjan does look very interesting indeed.

12:17 p.m. on May 10, 2012 (EDT)
22 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Hey,

I belive that that jacket is a Klattermusen.

I have a "Brede" and I find it bombproof. Another expensive Sweedish design.

Regards,

Marian

12:47 p.m. on May 10, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts
11:20 a.m. on May 11, 2012 (EDT)
22 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Yep! this is the manufactuer. Please note that I had problems with the band holding the compass on the handcuff. Otherways it is a very durable jacket.

Sorry about the off topic.

I want an Anjan for the summer/beach camping but it seems that the slopeing foot end makes the tent rather unconfortable. I have to try and find one to take a look at before I decide if I'll buy it to pair it  with my Tarra (bombproof and luxurious BUT the  Exped downmat squeeks if fully inflated).

Regards, Marian

2:58 p.m. on May 11, 2012 (EDT)
282 reviewer rep
273 forum posts
Good for high winds?

Since the Anjan ia a tunnel tent I'm assuming - with proper guylines - that it will be good for high winds and lots of snow.  Correct?

3:02 p.m. on May 11, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
687 forum posts

Because the fly does not go all the way to the ground I would think the Nallo would be a better choice for high winds and snow.

4:03 p.m. on May 12, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

I agree with Family Family Guy...high winds and lot of snow makes me want to grab one of their models that has the outer tent shell going all the way to the ground.  Otherwise there would be spend-drift coming in to the tent.  However, the outer shell of the Anjan can be adjusted so that it can slide all the way to the ground from side to side, but I would only recommend that for experienced hikers, as it can be somewhat tricky to do.

4:21 p.m. on May 12, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

I have found dome tents to work better in heavy snowfall and high winds than any tunnel models I have used. The best tents for really severe snow that I have ever seen are the Hille.domes and the Saivo is simply outstanding in this use.

7:06 a.m. on June 21, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

..I am sure the quality is good, but I am always surprised that so few tentmakers do not make a tent with a decent length innertent, like 235 cm or so...

I mean, to read about putting a jacket on the footend of the sleepingbang...or ' it will dry quickly'.. That should not be neccessary for a tent, and ot only because of the price.

For me this is enough reason not to want a tent that is too short. and I am 6ft, nothing extreme.  The msr hubba's are also 220 cm, but their walls are Straight, litterally. I also had a Vango Spectre , also 220 cm, and perfecly straight walls, (or to be honest, the walls even leaned backwards / outward, which is even better.)

I have an old Coleman model, the Boa, discontinued now,  and the innertent is 230 cm, which is good. My sleepingbag is 220, so even 230 cm is not extremely generous!

Very few innertents are longer than 225 cm. Probably to keep the weight down.

Anyway, thanks for the reveiw , and the pictures, and enjoy your trips.

10:17 a.m. on July 12, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Not sure if anyone noticed this but Hilleberg has a GT version of the Anjan in the works:

http://www.hilleberg.com/home/news.php

image.jpg

(photo courtesy of hilleberg.com)

3:31 p.m. on July 12, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
687 forum posts

Yes, I saw that.  Very nice.

I was hoping that they would have 3 season (ified) the Akto and the Rajd.  All the latter requires is vents at each end (like the Akto) to improve ventilation.....

5:06 p.m. on July 12, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I would like a 3 season version of the Saitaris. Not sure why or for what but nevertheless I would want it. :p

11:41 p.m. on July 12, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
687 forum posts

I wonder if that is the future - more 3 season models.  Obviously there is a market for Hillebergs like that.

VigilGuy - care to drop in and comment?  Anything you are able to share? ; )

6:20 p.m. on July 14, 2012 (EDT)
22 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Hello evryone! I was planning on buyng an Anjan but I wasn't conviced.

As I said, I need smth for summer camping that has to work both in scandinavian region (I live mostly in Sweden) and in tropical or warm conditions (i spend a lot of time in Florida) so I need ventilation both for cooling down and for avoiding condensation.

The fact that the foot end of the tent  is so sloped and the fact that the Kerlon would stretch when wet might lead to loosening of the fly and make it possible to hang low, near the inner tent that is right against the sleeping bag.

Did you guys encounter this  problem? Did you use "jacket over the feet" or did you find some other solution? Anyone have any alternatives for this type of light (and durable) well ventilated 3seasons tents (2person)? I see Exped Aries seemsthat  quite a similar design with the Hilleberg tunnels. Anyone tested them?

Doesn anyone else have problems with squeaky mats on Hilleberg tents?

Thanks for the imput and happy camping anyone!

9:16 p.m. on July 14, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

Family Guy said:

I wonder if that is the future - more 3 season models.  Obviously there is a market for Hillebergs like that.

VigilGuy - care to drop in and comment?  Anything you are able to share? ; )

I will know more in two weeks.

They are coming out with a Anjan GT model, but that's all I know at this point.

9:22 p.m. on July 14, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

Rodut Nairam said:

Hello evryone! I was planning on buyng an Anjan but I wasn't conviced.

As I said, I need smth for summer camping that has to work both in scandinavian region (I live mostly in Sweden) and in tropical or warm conditions (i spend a lot of time in Florida) so I need ventilation both for cooling down and for avoiding condensation.

The fact that the foot end of the tent  is so sloped and the fact that the Kerlon would stretch when wet might lead to loosening of the fly and make it possible to hang low, near the inner tent that is right against the sleeping bag.

Did you guys encounter this  problem? Did you use "jacket over the feet" or did you find some other solution? Anyone have any alternatives for this type of light (and durable) well ventilated 3seasons tents (2person)? I see Exped Aries seemsthat  quite a similar design with the Hilleberg tunnels. Anyone tested them?

Doesn anyone else have problems with squeaky mats on Hilleberg tents?

Thanks for the imput and happy camping anyone!

Kerlon has "some"stretch to it, but I do not see it as an issue of touching the inner wall of the tent if it is set up properly.

I personally think that the Anjan would be ideal for the conditions you describe.  It's already been tested in the summer in Sweden by the Hilleberg staff. Can't speak for Florida, except I would imagine that it would work well.  I posted the photos above to show the ventilation options.

As far as squeaky mats in Hillebergs, I have not had that experience.

10:27 p.m. on August 14, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I just reviewed Hilleberg's Anjan 2 here on TS. I thought I would share my findings with others here.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/hilleberg/anjan-2/#review25589

1:04 a.m. on August 15, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
687 forum posts

Thanks Rick. This one is off my list. I haven't even had rain splash with my Mid because I can pitch to the ground.

9:12 a.m. on August 15, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Family Guy said:

Thanks Rick. This one is off my list. I haven't even had rain splash with my Mid because I can pitch to the ground.

No problem. I think Hille may want to go back in and think this design over again. 

Maybe add a protective flap to the vesti zipper, extend the outer tent another 2" downward(3" gap between the ground and outer should still provide adequate ventilation while protecting the inner and your gear better and seal the corners up a bit better. 

Personally, I would like a better top vent. Maybe the design that is on the Nallo?

You really cannot open up the eyebrow vent that much in a wash out. 

I think this would work well by maximizing the chimney effect to keep the air flowing well. 

Just some thoughts. 

I know, I know.... It would make the tent heavier. :p

12:00 p.m. on August 15, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
687 forum posts

And that was one of my concerns - not having a top vent.  But if they do that and drop the fly, you would be looking at a Nallo, essentially.  Why not just get the Nallo?

One of the nice things about the 4 season Hillebergs is that you can unclip the inner and if there is little to no ground water, the inner is dry.  In the case of the Anjan, with blowing rain you may pack away a wet inner.

I originally thought this was an overpriced 3 season shelter and I think your use has confirmed my suspicions.  It really has no advantage over many other, much cheaper, alternatives on the market.

Their 4 season shelters, of course, are almost unmatched.

12:09 p.m. on August 15, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

With the way the Anjan 2 is at the moment I can't help but agree. There are so many other well respected 3 season tents on the market to choose from. To me unless the issues I encountered are addresses this is going to be a really tough sell. 

I suppose if the changes I suggested were made you would essentially have the Nallo 2. At the same time there are those that live/hike in milder conditions so with that being said the Nallo may not necessarily be on their radar. 

So with lighter inner/outer material, lighter hardware(pegs, 2mm lines, smaller runners,) a more adequate top vent, and a bit of space between the outer and the ground( just not the 5+ that the Anjan has) some may go after this shelter. 

2:19 p.m. on August 15, 2012 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
1,158 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

I just reviewed Hilleberg's Anjan 2 here on TS. I thought I would share my findings with others here.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/hilleberg/anjan-2/#review25589

Man what an exhaustive review!  And yes, I bookmarked it to copy for my next trip so I can curl up in the tent and give it a proper reading.

Overall, I'm not sure if Hilleberg is making the right decision in designing and selling these 3- season models.  I mean, if I need a tent why would I go "more flimsy" when I could go "more beefy"??  I'll stick with their 4-season models.

6:10 p.m. on August 15, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Tipi Walter said:

Man what an exhaustive review!  And yes, I bookmarked it to copy for my next trip so I can curl up in the tent and give it a proper reading.

Thanks Tipi.... I think. :)

Yeah ya may want to pull up a chair and grab a bowl of popcorn for that one. 

8:58 p.m. on August 15, 2012 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
1,158 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

Tipi Walter said:

Thanks Tipi.... I think. :)

Yeah ya may want to pull up a chair and grab a bowl of popcorn for that one. 

Not to change the subject, but I do most of my reading on backpacking trips where I have some privacy and time.  Plus, I can't read a lot of text sitting at a computer for some reason, prefer to be supine, etc.

7:24 a.m. on August 27, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hello,

I would like to buy a Nallo 2 or Anjan 2. What are your impressions after several uses of the Anjan 2?

Thank you

8:27 p.m. on August 28, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

We are leaving for a 5 day trip to the Winds at 11,000 ft with the Anjan. I'll let you know!

6:55 p.m. on August 30, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
834 forum posts

hope it doesn't rain!

6:16 a.m. on September 3, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hi,

The Jacket you see in the video is by another Swedish outdoor gear company called "Klättermusen" (klattermusen.se). The jacket is called "Skidbladner". I have several packs and clothing from them and am extremely happy about their peformance. Unfortunately it looks like there is no US dealer.

I just bought the Anjan 3 myself and wait for the appropriate hard weather to test it in before doing a weeklong trip to the Swedish Fells.

10:48 p.m. on September 3, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

Just returned from a 5 day trip at 10,800 ft in the Winds. We had fierce winds and rain for a day and a night during our trip. Two of us used Anjans and they worked great. We stayed dry. I was particularly amazed at how stable the Anjan was during pounding wind gusts. For the weight conscious hiker that is willing to sacrifice a few features, I think it is a solid choice in three season use.

11:18 p.m. on September 3, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

What type of surface did you camp on? The photo below is where I ran into the water problems(splashing up under the outer and wetting out the inner. It actually kicked small chunks of mud up off the ground onto the inner that I had to wipe off before I packed it up with the blue pack towel in the photo(hanging on guyline.)

image.jpg

For an idea of how high the outer is elevated off the ground compare the outer height to my Scarpas. 

The result from the height of the outer is the water actually caused the yellow inner to wet out as stated above.

image.jpg

I am also searching for an explanation(other than bad seams) why there was water pooling in both corners of the inner with the one I tested.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Maybe I got a dud? Then again if I had a choice of tents to be in in the weather I experienced I would have chose my Soulo w/o a 2nd thought.

I am still going to stick with my original thought that the outer being elevated 5"+ off the ground is complete overkill. 2.5"-3" would be adequate and protect the inner much better. 

Please don't take this as me being "argumentative" in a sense. I am just trying to come to a rational conclusion of why the tents you used worked well and the one I used performed poorly in wet, driving rains.

12:24 a.m. on September 4, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

What type of surface did you camp on? The photo below is where I ran into the water problems(splashing up under the outer and wetting out the inner. It actually kicked small chunks of mud up off the ground onto the inner that I had to wipe off before I packed it up with the blue pack towel in the photo(hanging on guyline.)

image.jpg

For an idea of how high the outer is elevated off the ground compare the outer height to my Scarpas. 

The result from the height of the outer is the water actually caused the yellow inner to wet out as stated above.

image.jpg

I am also searching for an explanation(other than bad seams) why there was water pooling in both corners of the inner with the one I tested.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Maybe I got a dud? Then again if I had a choice of tents to be in in the weather I experienced I would have chose my Soulo w/o a 2nd thought.

I am still going to stick with my original thought that the outer being elevated 5"+ off the ground is complete overkill. 2.5"-3" would be adequate and protect the inner much better. 

Please don't take this as me being "argumentative" in a sense. I am just trying to come to a rational conclusion of why the tents you used worked well and the one I used performed poorly in wet, driving rains.

Beats me why they worked well for us and not so well for you. Our fishing guide had one that he used for a week in Yellowstone and he loves it.  

AAI gave it the Guides Choice award as well this year. http://alpineinstitute.blogspot.com/2012/08/2012-guides-choice-awards.html

I do like the fact that I can adjust the height of the outer shell, depending on conditions.  But in our case, being high in a cirque, and we had a little protection from a few trees, the rain was coming in hard in all directions during the day and night.  If comfort was my first priority, I would have used the Nammatj or the Saivo or my Keron 3GT, but I needed to cut weight on this trip so I used the Anjan.  Sure, I gave up some luxuries that come with the 4 season models, but the weight and the compactness were deciding factors for this trip. I do think that site selection and tent set-up require more attention than the beefier models.

7:45 a.m. on October 11, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hi,

Just got back from my first trip using my new Anjan 3. We were 3 persons using it through most kind of weathers in very exposed mountain terrains in northern Sweden. I can only concur that some weather conditions gave moisture on the inside in the tent. During one of the first nights we were camping in the clouds (rather than below or above) with slight winds with aerosols droplets in them rather than heavy rain. All our stuff was wet in the morning mostly due to condensations on most surfaces and sleeping bags touching the walls of the inner tents. This led me to conclude that the width of the tent is a little bit too cramped for three persons.

The tent performed very well during one night with heavy showers and the wind speed measuring up to 18 m/s (40mph). The tent was completely dry on the inside! Since this is my first tunnel tent I was very surprised by the high noise generated by the “flapping” of the large sections between the tent poles (compared to my TNF VE-25)

During the last night we had -6 degrees Celsius (21F) on the outside and “only” -1C (30,2F) on the inside and still very little frost on the inner walls.

image.jpg

All in all possible to use for 3p but probably ideal for 2!

8:28 a.m. on October 11, 2012 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
1,158 forum posts

This is a thread that needs multiple pages!

I took Rick-Pittsburgh's Anjan tent review out with me on my last trip and read it thoroughly and thought about the problems he had with rain and leaks.  I called it the Angina ha ha ha.  Every Hilleberg I use is always seam sealed on the floor with McNett's seam grip---the long middle floor seam and the four corners.  I also use silnett sealer on the inner fly as my Keron leaks a goodly amount on the hoop seams.

So far my Keron Kerlon fly has 7 Tear Aid patches covering small wear holes and what looks to be tiny insect chew holes.  Do bugs eat silicone?  The tent is faded and is slowly getting covered with patches.  Kerlon isn't as hardy or as tough as you think.

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply