Double plastic liners

3:05 p.m. on April 25, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,272 forum posts

I'm new to plastic boots but if I wanted to replace the liner, or just get a spare to make drying faster, do I need to get the exact same brand or are they pretty interchangable as long as size is the same?

Jeff

6:13 p.m. on April 25, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
2,487 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

well, if you get the same brand/model liner in the same size, you know that the liners will fit.  if you get some other brand, whether the liners will fit or not is going to be more a matter of chance.  another brand's liner may fit, but it may not.  the last thing you want with plastic boots is a bad fit, because they tend to fit sloppy anyway, and you would be increasing your chance of blisters and of impeding circulation when you can least afford to do that. 

you can't necessarily rely on the size because, like most shoes, plastic boots may run a little large or small depending on the brand and model.  so, for example, a pair of scarpa invernos may not fit quite the same as the scarpa omegas, and i have no idea whether Scarpa's 'universal' moldable ski boot liners will fit either of these.  (it happens that the Inverno is the plastic boot i use when i expect to be hiking/climbing using crampons or in really cold weather more generally).  also, keep in mind that many of the European sizes may not convert exactly to US.

i have found it helpful to have two liners, one for really cold weather, and the other that is not so heavily insulated.  the high-altitude liners make my feet feel overheated when it's above ten degrees.  i have stuck with the liners intended for my boots, for what it's worth. 

6:19 p.m. on April 25, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,272 forum posts

Many thanks!

8:43 p.m. on April 25, 2012 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

goretex socks ?

10:44 a.m. on April 26, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
2,487 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

ps - when i said 'liner,' i was referring to the padded portion inside the plastic shell, similar to the insides of an alpine ski boot.  i was not talking about a thin wicking liner sock or a barrier liner like a gore tex or vbl (vapor barrier) liner.

i haven't used gore tex socks.  i could understand them as a way to keep your feet dry in warmer temperatures, but i think they would be a mistake in extremely cold weather because they allow moisture to escape into the insulating part of your boot.

i have used vapor barrier boot and sleeping bag liners in extremely cold weather.  a vapor barrier does not allow moisture to escape (or enter), period.  one would think that leaves you hopelessly sweaty and therefore cold, but that isn't necessarily so if you use it properly. 

the benefits: they keep moisture from invading and compromising your insulating layers from within; they prevent heat loss that occurs from evaporation; and they give you an extremely good idea if you are overheating and perhaps dehydrating.     

the detriments: if you overdress and don't adjust, or if you anticipate swating a ton due to high output, you can end up very uncomfortable; boot liners can wrinkle and cause blisters; they require changing socks with some frequency. 

great article about this if you are interested in vbls:  http://andrewskurka.com/how-to/vapor-barrier-liners-theory-application/

November 24, 2014
Quick Reply