Yosemite in Late May - Clothing essentials?

2:24 p.m. on May 8, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

Let me start by thanking everyone who has helped me prepare for my 7 day trip to Yosemite with my 13 year old son.  We are SUPER well prepared because of the wisdom generously shared by the member of Trailspace!

I would greatly appreciate any feedback on the basics we should bring to keep our clothing to a minimal, with maximum comfort and functionality.

Since we are from South Louisiana, our clothing is geared more for HOT and HUMID conditions.  Our 7 days in Yosemite should include highs in the 70s and lows in the 40s with humidity in the low teens.

We are trying to keep spending under control, and not freeze / fry / overpack!

So far we are putting together:

Rain shells
(2) Under Armor / Columbia - short sleeve shirts
(2) Under Armor / Columbia - long sleeve shirts
(1) Under Armor / Columbia - long sleeve button-up shirt (same material as shirts)

(2) Exofficio Underwear
(2) heavy hiking socks
(2) hiking sock liners
(1) HiTec / Columbia Hiking boots
(1) flip flops

I feel like we're going to get uncomfortably cool late evenings and early mornings with what we've got so far.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

See ya on the trial!

Rango

3:37 p.m. on May 8, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Throw in a long sleeve a fleece top

Balaclava for your potato (head).  Get the type that has a hole for your face to stick through.  For that matter include a broad rim hat for sun - it will be intense.

No mention of bottom layers?  How 'bout a long john bottom or lycra tight?

Use the rain shell (top and bottoms) to knock down the wind and greatly enhance the efficiency of your warm layers.

Ed

9:54 p.m. on May 8, 2012 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

and a pair of convertible pants

9:14 a.m. on May 9, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the feedback.  Whomeworry, the broad rim hat is good advice. I think a pair of the lycra long-johns is going to be the way to go. The old ball cap won't keep my neck from frying like bacon.  Callahan, I cheaped-out on the convertible pants, and can now appreciate the price difference as the zippers rubs my thighs raw!They were $20 bucks for a reason, right?

10:05 a.m. on May 9, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,776 reviewer rep
372 forum posts

Rango,

You might want to check out The North Face Paramount Peak convertible pants if you can budget them in! I would definitely take a jacket with some sort of insulation for the night! I took a Patagonia Down Sweater last year when I went and it was perfect for Yosemite nights/early mornings in June!

11:26 p.m. on May 14, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
269 forum posts

Hows the Patagonia sweater holding up?  I'm looking for a lighter option for my Sierra trips.

Duane

9:32 a.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

Ashleigh, great advice on the North Face convertible pants!  I've ditched the cheaper pants and definitely see the value of higher quality pant.

11:49 a.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Like most things in life, quality rather than quantity.

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply