Flea Market Gear Gloat

8:02 p.m. on May 8, 2012 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

Was at an automotive swap meet/flea market over the weekend. My friend had his girlfriend and her friend along and they wound up a a table which had a bunch of antiquey glassware & pottery & such. I started perusing to see if there was anything there to bring home that would appease the boss and the name Katadyn jumped off a box at me. I moved in and it was a Katadyn Hiker Microfilter. The box was a little beat up, nothing dramatic, but the woman stepped up and said, "it's brand new, never been used". I asked how much and she said, three dollars... I couldn't even haggle! I've already got the MSR Miniworks and didn't need it, but $3.00! I'm not really familiar with the Katadyn filters either, I just new it wasn't the really good one, but have heard it spoken well of around here. It's definitely never been used, so I may just ebay it or something. I've had my MSR a long time, it's an old friend and I wouldn't consider this an improvement. Just needed to gloat over my flea market victory.

10:02 p.m. on May 8, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Totally boast worthy grab :)

12:01 p.m. on May 9, 2012 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Nice grab! I wouldn't have thought twice ether.

1:16 p.m. on May 9, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Good job.  You might just want to keep it as a back up spare.  What if your mini works craps out or breaks just before a trip.  What if something happens where your at home and the water stops flowing and you find yourself in the position of needing more filtered water than you think.  I usually can get the Katadyn Hiker Microfilter for $20-$30 locally on craigslist, not sure what they go for on EBay.  I would guess it depends on the time of the year and the luck of the draw.  Still a great grab regardless of what you do with it.

August 28, 2014
Quick Reply