Space Blankets

10:53 p.m. on May 12, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

I was wondering how these work. I understand they retain around 85% of your body heat, but under what circumstances? Do you have to have them cover you or touching you? Or can you hang them over your tent top and have it work as insulation. Sorry , I'm on to something I think here if my guesses are correct. Please let me know experience you had with them and which way you used them.THANKS!

11:00 p.m. on May 12, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Here's a recent thread that may have some answers for you.

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/gear-selection/topics/118976.html

4:22 a.m. on May 13, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

Thank you very helpful. I posted a question on this link you sent.maybe you could answer it.

7:35 a.m. on May 13, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,296 forum posts

I posted this in responce to your other post as well.

Tam, generally speaking in a hammock we are more concerned with heat loss from below more so than on top. I know of several in the hammock community that use a space blanket in conjuction with or as a replacement for a sleeping pad.

It is not advised to put a space blanket over the hammock ridgeline, as you will wake up in a rain shower of condensation lol. Those of us who use 'hammock socks' which is esentially a piece of fabric that completely encloses a hammock to make a dead air space make them out of a DWR coated breathable fabric, such as momentum.

So in short, you would be better off sleeping on top of the space blanket vice putting it over you. Even in this case your back would be a little damp when you wake up, but thats better than your sleeping bag being damp.

A good alternative is to use a cheap car sun shade. Like the 1$ ones from the dollar store. They are esentially a space blanket/foil coated piece of 1/8in foam. I have used these sun shades by them selves down to about 45-50F or so. They also work great adding them into other sleep systems, then add about 10-15F or so i would guess, the same as a space blanket but more comfy and don't make all the crinkling noise.

9:53 a.m. on May 13, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

I totally agree with TheRamblers perspective on this.

I use a hammock that has a double bottom and this allows you to place a pad of some kind in between the two layers of nylon that form the hammock bottom.

Most of my camping right now is in the Southern Atlantic Coastal Plain so we have mild winters and hot humid summers, so my set up is not typical of those in colder climates.

In the Fall & Spring I find that an auto sun shade (as Rambler mentions) made of Reflectix works very well while wearing a base layer and using a light top quilt.

In the hot summers we have here I forgo the Reflectix, quilt, and base layer, and just use a light fleece blanket.

In the winter I switch to using both a top & bottom quilt and I wear a base layer to sleep in.

Mike G.

12:09 p.m. on May 13, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

I'm trying to figure out where to best put space blankets and which one on the pac I invented. My idea is to have  small snap bias strips about 3-4 in. along the long netting line that can hold a roll out space blanket that can be replaced as they are easily torn.And I am trying to figure out where the best place is to put them and to have the best result.I've studied alot on solar energy products as this area facinates me for some reason. You all have answered some questions for sure that I needed to know. My search last night brought up the same answer and you both confirmed it.Thank you as sometimes your just not sure weather are not you are right.What do you think if I used the space blankets that have the tarp lining on them and put it under the netting as the same roll out design that could be rolled back up along the sides and snapped but inside and replaced easily. Then you could just put one of the awesome hammock sleeping bags out there on top. Would this be better? I'm thinking so at this time, what does everyone think? Thank you for your comments.

12:12 p.m. on May 13, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

Your right as heat rises. The condensation is the real problem here as you said.We are in a hammock or tent to protect us from the rain and such....laughing here.

12:16 p.m. on May 13, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

I use a little twist on these. They sell a windshield shade at the dollar store that is kind of a cross between a space blanket and reflectix. The ones I get are around 50' by 24' and weigh 35 grams. They roll up smaller than a nalgene and dont try to fold and get pointy like reflectix. Yea I dont know any other way to describe it than pointy, they just roll better than reflectix. With two grommets, one in each end to hang it from and two little elastic straps they have many uses. The shape makes a perfect fire reflector. I keep one of these and a sol emergency bivy in my pack all year. I didnt carry these when I lived in nc, but living in nh I think they are worth the weight. They are the first thing I put in my pack, I carry three in the winter. I put all my gear on them on top of the snow. Sorry to ramble on but I like these so much better than a space blanket, except as a blanket. Maybe im off topic I dont know.

12:44 p.m. on May 13, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

I forgot to tell you. These things dont go make that noise regular space blankets make. I looked at them and they are a space blanket with a white foam glued to it with a border. Evidently if you glue anything to a sb it wont make that awful noise. You should def consider that if you are putting one into any type of sleep system. They make a lot of noise in a little wind and become hard to hold onto in a lot of wind. Having this backing eliminates most of these issues. They make a HUGE difference as a sleep pad on snow. I would think you would incorporate one into the sleeping pad area as well if you are trying to keep warm.

10:14 p.m. on May 13, 2012 (EDT)
284 reviewer rep
139 forum posts

I have seen this at REI, it looks like it could help if all the information is correct.

http://www.rei.com/product/832336/sol-escape-bivy

I carry Space All-Weather Blanket which I use a lot, for just putting on the ground to drop my pack and relax, it's strong and has tie down points, and will work to keep me alive if I needed it.

http://www.rei.com/product/407106/space-all-weather-blanket

I have used it now for 2 years, no problems and it's warm, water proof and heavy enough so light winds will not blow it away.  I read the write ups were someone said to fold in half and tape the small ends, and add a few tape points to the long end, to keep you warm during to night, but leave a few areas open to keep the condensation down.

10:42 a.m. on May 14, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

I have seen these on TV ,it might work. I'll look into it.

Very cool product. I figure after this Pac id being manufactured I could help other companies like this by recommending their products as a possible go with.

The blanket is more what I need in this project as it can fold better,Do they last very long?

The Space Blanket tarp seems the best to me.

11:13 p.m. on May 17, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

Just got my All Weather Space Blanket today. I like it alot. Thanks everyone for the links and info. This saved a bunch of study for me.

1:03 p.m. on May 18, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

Foil is better than nothing, but barely. I carry a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuCYu-R-uNU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

1:02 a.m. on May 19, 2012 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

I have several throw way space blankets in day bags. I have a reusable space blanket in my backpack. I only open the throw away blankets if I have to. The reusable one is much more robust.

9:00 a.m. on May 19, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

nice product.

9:01 a.m. on May 19, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

DrReaper said:

I have several throw way space blankets in day bags. I have a reusable space blanket in my backpack. I only open the throw away blankets if I have to. The reusable one is much more robust.

Are you talking about The all weather space blankets? This is what I bought, they have a tarp glued onto them.

11:26 p.m. on May 19, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

tam1852 said:

DrReaper said:

Are you talking about The all weather space blankets? This is what I bought, they have a tarp glued onto them.

I slept with one over me the other night to see if it made me perspire. I used the tarp side down. This is the way I want to use them in the Pac.

3:02 p.m. on May 20, 2012 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

I had to do some searching but I found a green reusable space blanket. It's the one with the tarp like material attached. I stake it out as a second layer on my single wall tent if its going to rain. To many tarp uses to write up. I am still testing the longevity of the blanket. It's looking like I will change out all my day bags with the reusable space tarps.

My thinking is if you get separated from your backpack for whatever reason. Your shelter is going to be made from what you have on you. Reusable is better than throw away.

3:46 p.m. on May 20, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

I saw a nice one at a local outdoor shop but when I went back ti buy it it was gone. They said they will get more in the fall. It was basically two space blankets with two other layers sandwiched between them. Then it was sewn in a pattern so that there was maybe three quarter of a inch squares, looked very durable. Ill stop in and try to get a name for you. Real similar material to a sol emergency bivy. I have one of those and it is extremely durable for space blanket material. I had it several yrs and used it about 12 times.

4:28 p.m. on May 21, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

DrReaper said:

I had to do some searching but I found a green reusable space blanket. It's the one with the tarp like material attached. I stake it out as a second layer on my single wall tent if its going to rain. To many tarp uses to write up. I am still testing the longevity of the blanket. It's looking like I will change out all my day bags with the reusable space tarps.

My thinking is if you get separated from your backpack for whatever reason. Your shelter is going to be made from what you have on you. Reusable is better than throw away.

Was it the all weather space blanket? Sounds like the one I have.

4:30 p.m. on May 21, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

DrReaper said:

I agree reusable is better, and they are way more quiet. And if you put the tarp side on you you don't sweat.

12:18 a.m. on May 22, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

Oldman Mike said:

I have seen this at REI, it looks like it could help if all the information is correct.

I carry Space All-Weather Blanket which I use a lot, for just putting on the ground to drop my pack and relax, it's strong and has tie down points, and will work to keep me alive if I needed it.

I have used it now for 2 years, no problems and it's warm, water proof and heavy enough so light winds will not blow it away.  I read the write ups were someone said to fold in half and tape the small ends, and add a few tape points to the long end, to keep you warm during to night, but leave a few areas open to keep the condensation down.

Funny, I think you were the one I bought mine from, LOL

8:23 a.m. on May 23, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

hotdogman said:

I saw a nice one at a local outdoor shop but when I went back ti buy it it was gone. They said they will get more in the fall. It was basically two space blankets with two other layers sandwiched between them. Then it was sewn in a pattern so that there was maybe three quarter of a inch squares, looked very durable. Ill stop in and try to get a name for you. Real similar material to a sol emergency bivy. I have one of those and it is extremely durable for space blanket material. I had it several yrs and used it about 12 times.

Wow that would be great if you could. We should have the Pac ready this weekend. Taking it to a big Festival to show, first one for this . But , I figure if I can make a spot in the hammock for this it could save lives sometime somewhere. Several of you , helped with info on here, this saved me hours of research. As I said , we want these to be american made and proud of them, so we want to use the best materials.The last thing I want is to sell something that looks like it was made in China but by the USA,LOL

8:27 a.m. on May 23, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

tam1852 said:

hotdogman said:

Wow that would be great if you could. We should have the Pac ready this weekend. Taking it to a big Festival to show, first one for this . But , I figure if I can make a spot in the hammock for this it could save lives sometime somewhere. Several of you , helped with info on here, this saved me hours of research. As I said , we want these to be american made and proud of them, so we want to use the best materials.The last thing I want is to sell something that looks like it was made in China but by the USA,LOL

Also, as you probably figured out we will be looking to dropship these as replacements and add ons so we will be looking into a wholesaler on these, and if you fit the bill we will use you.

8:29 a.m. on May 23, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

tam1852 said:

Oldman Mike said:

Funny, I think you were the one I bought mine from, LOL

On the all weather, I will be looking for a wholesaler, or a dropshipper as these will need to eventually be replaced.

12:30 p.m. on June 13, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

Im sorry to say the store where I saw the nice quilted space blanket has not gotten more. The employess have a blank stare when I ask what the brand is. Im going to vermont to the long trail in a couple of weeks, I will check their main store then.

12:48 a.m. on June 15, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

hotdogman said:

Im sorry to say the store where I saw the nice quilted space blanket has not gotten more. The employess have a blank stare when I ask what the brand is. Im going to vermont to the long trail in a couple of weeks, I will check their main store then.

Thank you, see if you can where the Manufacturer is and where if you could. Thanks again.

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply