About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Lightweight Rain Jacket

10:01 p.m. on May 13, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Hey I am looking for some help picking a lightweight rain jacket that will keep out rain pretty well without being too heavy. I wouldn't like to get an ultralight one as I am trying to maintain some durability with this choice. I have a thick, durable rain jacket that I got for a great price and I am looking for something on the more compressible, lighter spectrum that has just a little bit more breathability. Something I can just throw over a t-shirt because I am going to be in very warm, humid conditions. Thanks for any help. 

10:04 a.m. on May 14, 2012 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Good, breathable, durable rain gear for very warm, humid conditions? Good luck with that. Have you tried an umbrella?

I've got 3 outer shells that are light weight. The most doable in those conditions would be Dry Ducks. But even they will get wet from the inside out, and not very durable. 

10:46 a.m. on May 14, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

If you weren't preoccupied with attempting to create a witty (read: inane) contribution, you would see I'm looking for a light rain jacket but one that's just a little thick to keep out only a light amount of rain and last me a few years. I wouldn't like to completely sacrifice durability for weight and compressibility. But I would much rather it be light weight/compressible over durable.

11:52 a.m. on May 14, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Maybe take a look at REI's Ultralight jacket.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/rei/ultra-light-jacket/

Plus ya get a zip off hood and pit zips. 

11:57 a.m. on May 14, 2012 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I wasn't being witty at all. Sorry if I came off that way. But really In those conditions a water proof jacket will make you sweat.  You might want to look into the Dry Ducks $18.

And I wasn't kidding about an umbrella. Many here use them. They are light weight, great for lighter rains, no sweating issues. And the biggest plus, you don't have to stop and put them on or take them off.

1:21 p.m. on May 14, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,669 reviewer rep
1,275 forum posts

I have and really really like the Stoic Vaporshell from backcountry.com. It seems very durable, is light weight, and IMO is even more breathable than event and only runs about $100 or so. The one con is no hand pockets, but that doesn't really bother me. It is my rain shell of choice unless I am bush whacking in which case I use my ecwcs goretex parka.

5:35 p.m. on May 14, 2012 (EDT)
2,264 reviewer rep
1,248 forum posts

this is a little tricky to answer.  you want something that will keep out rain 'pretty well,' that is relatively lightweight, and that breathes 'a little better' than your existing, heavier rain jacket.  it would help to have some frame of reference, because these terms can mean different things for different people.  for example, what is your heavier rain jacket?  it would help to know so we have some sense of how well it breathes and how heavy it really is.  price range might also be helpful. 

there are a number of very light jackets that are water-resistant wind shirts.  they breathe better than any truly waterproof jacket, are very lightweight, are moderately durable but not suitable for a lot of sharp rocks or bushwhacking.  in a hard rain, they wet out eventually.  a lot less expensive, generally, than waterproof/breathable shells.  Patagonia's Houdini, Wild Things Gear's hooded windshirt, Montane's Lite-speed, for example.  i have had good experience with the houdini. 

if you want a jacket that can really handle a hard rain and that is a step up in durability, you need a waterproof/breathable membrane.  there are some great lightweight eVent shells.  Westcomb Specter Hoody, Rab Drillium, Montane eVent air jacket, REI Kimtah (a little heavier, a little less expensive) all weigh 11-16 ounces.  i have two eVent shells, and they both do a great job allowing moisture to escape and keeping wind and water out.    be prepared, these are all much more expensive.  look for sales, closeouts, or used to save $$. 

i have no personal experience with gore tex 'active shell' jackets or polartec neoshell.  both are fairly new options.  might be worth a look.

2:45 a.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

hey Rick nice suggestion.  When next I am near an REI I will check it out.

6:48 a.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
1,669 reviewer rep
1,275 forum posts

Unless no pockets is a deal breaker, i would strongly recommend anyone interested in a rain shell take a look at the Stoic Vaporshell.

9:23 a.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Expand your options.   I do.

You DO NOT have to dwell / 'live' in the hiking / backpacking world of products, exclusively.

I have found a splendid light, fairly breathable (in warm / hot weather) waterproof jacket, from L.L. Bean's FISHING catalog.   Can't recall the model name, but it is of GORE-TEX 'PacLite' Shell.   Fantastic chest bellows pockets, great adjustable hood, and Velcro-adjustable,  neoprene sleeve cuffs.  Drawcorded waist.

You don't think fishermen, fly-fishing enthusiasts endure rain and wet conditions, while active?    Think again.

Next time you visit a Cabela's, pry yourself out of the camping section, and peruse the hunting and fishing sections.   Interesting and useful (for backpacking and hiking) gear, if you can get by the moronic 'camo' themes.

~ r2 ~

10:04 a.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Callahan said:

hey Rick nice suggestion.  When next I am near an REI I will check it out.

I have had the pants for sometime now(purchased a jacket a few months back)and I really like them. I have used the pants year round(winter-summer)and I have to say I am pleased with the performance that they provide and they are quite durable. 

I  mean lets face it. When the temps are really up there and the humidity is through the roof sweating out is unavoidable regardless of the technology implemented into a garment of this type.

It just comes with the territory. 

10:31 a.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Robert Rowe said:

You don't think fishermen, fly-fishing enthusiasts endure rain and wet conditions, while active?    Think again.

As an avid "fisherman"(salt/freshwater) for quite some time I can say that there are most certainly differences in the level of activities when it comes to the performance characteristics needed in these garments.

Ones body is expelling alot more energy/sweat backpacking when ascending 1000 vertical feet with a pack as opposed to standing in a stream wearing a pair of waders and casting a pole or changing lures. 

So with that being said the amount of sweat one would produce in regards to a comparison of these 2 activities is marginally different and so would be the needs in regards to the performance characteristics of the product. 

Not to mention you have the design differences. Pockets are designed on hiking specific clothing so one can access pockets while wearing a pack, etc. 

Not as much of a need for this attention to detail when designing a product for use while fishing, etc.

So the pocket placement/design is not as much of a concern. 

11:47 a.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Humidity is wet

12:54 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
1,046 forum posts

Mountain Hardwear cohesion jacket. You can findone on ebay. Around 60 dollars and weighs about 13 oz. Good, durable jacket for the price.

April 19, 2014
Quick Reply