Knife fixed blade or folder

12:14 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

What do you guys carry for a knife? Ive always carried a folder clipped to my front pocket. Lately I have been carrying a medium sized fixed blade on my left shoulder strap near my sternum strap. That seems to be the easiest place to access a knife quickly and easily.

12:37 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,064 forum posts

{flame suit on} {..starts feeding troll...}

I like carrying a fixed--blade knife into the woods, and almost always do when I head out backpacking. I used to carry a Ka-Bar D2 in the same way you mention, and then I realized I still wanted it on my person when I took the pack off. That led to drop-leg rigs, neck rigs, custom rigs...until I came to understand that it was the knife that was really the issue.

I realized that most of my use for the knife came from in-camp activities like cutting food and making fire-sticks, but the Eagle Scout/ex-soldier in me could not give up a good fixed-blade knife if only for those "just-in-case" situations where I might need to construct a shelter or baton wood to get to the dry stuff.

So, I traded in the Ka-Bar for the first fixed-blade knife Spyderco ever made, the Bill Moran FB-01. I love it. All of 5 ounces sheathed with a small Tek-Lok which lets me belt-mount it front-and-center. Super-tacky, ergonomic handle, with a rock-solid Kydex. I was looking at Moras, too, but went with the Spyderco because I wanted to support them, and I got a deal on it.

FB01-oblique.jpg

I also carry a Leatherman Squirt PS4 for other emergency/repair uses, a really fine tool with a very capable blade in its own right (at least when compared to most mini-tool/mini SAK blades...).

12:56 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

I have two knives and I vary on when I take them.  One is a Gerber LST II that is very UL (1.2oz) and does a good job at cutting cheese.  It is small enough as a folder that I carry it in my pocket.

The other is a fixed blade Fallkniven that is a work of art.  I carry that one in its sheath on my pack.  I can't think of a situation in which I would have to draw it quickly.

3:43 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts
3:55 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

hotdogman said:

..That seems to be the easiest place to access a knife quickly and easily.

Why is quick access to a knife while shouldering a pack even necessary?

I bring a pocket knife, which goes in my pack while underway; otherwise carried in my pocket around camp, or in my day sack while on side trips.  If fishing. I'll also bring a fixed 6" filet knife.  If cooking fresh foods requiring prep work, I bring a fixed 7" French knife.  Both fixed blades travel in the pack.
Ed

3:56 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Victorinox Soldier:

V2-001.jpg

My review(kinda easier than reiterating it all again,) I'm lazy what can I say?

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/victorinox-swiss-army/soldiers-knife/#review23750

4:04 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

Family Guy said:

I have two knives and I vary on when I take them.  One is a Gerber LST II that is very UL (1.2oz) and does a good job at cutting cheese.  It is small enough as a folder that I carry it in my pocket.

The other is a fixed blade Fallkniven that is a work of art.  I carry that one in its sheath on my pack.  I can't think of a situation in which I would have to draw it quickly.

Fjallkniven knives are among the best production blades available and the F1 developed for the Swedish Air Force is an excellent all-around knife.

I have folders,always carry one, my latest and best is a H.E.S.T. drop point 3" blade made of D2 with G-10 and Ti scales and a neat rotary locking mechanism. It is just over 5 oz. and is very sharp and useful.

I prefer fixed blades and have quite a few custom knives, my backpacking setup is a Charles May OSK-1 knife with a Leatherman Charge Ti tool and I am totally happy with these. The May knife is canvas micarta scales on a SV-30 blade of 4" in the drop point style and holds an edge you can do surgery with.

I do not care to carry a knife in the "tactical"position and keep mine in my pack, but, where I can reach them if I need to. As with FG, I am not too concerned with "tactical fast draws" with my knife, but, I do not want to lose it.

4:18 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Hi Dewey - that is the one I have, the F1.  Love it.

4:56 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I have three knives that I use and carry at different times. I usually have oneof the first two below in my pocket. I don't carry all three :) 

Gerber Paraframe Mini, single edge folding. The stainless quality isn't great on this knife, but I haven't spent the money to get a better one.

Gerber_Plain_Paraframe_Mini_Folding_Knif

Leatherman Squirt mulit-tool I like this knife and usually carry it in my pocket. 

SOG Knives Field Pup- a 4" fixed Blade knife. I usually carry this strapped to or inside my pack. I like to fish and "gourmet" cook on the trail, and use my knife frequently and for a myriad of uses.

FP3.jpg

5:29 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,119 forum posts

I use one of two: a Longs Peak folding knife and a Gerber pliers tool. I also use my large toenail clippers to cut line, open shrink-sealed packages,etc.

5:33 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

An old Buck folder, with a stout marlin-spike on the opposite end from the blade.

Too many experiences with bad knots (a few were mine), especially on the sailboat.

I have heard stories from locals, wherein a marlin-spike saved $50,000 - $100,000+ sailboats from disaster during surprise squalls here on the Chesapeake.

~ r2 ~

6:06 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

I've been shopping for a new folding knife, and I've looked at ones like the various Victorinex models (Soldier, Hiker) and the Wenger Titanium. I have a nice Gerber multi-tool that stays in my pack, but I find I use a small penknife way more often just because it's always handy in my hip pocket.

I've been trying to replace one I've had for years that's only 2 7/8" long, but has all the gadgets I need, including knife, scissors, can-opener, slot and Phillips screwdrivers, but I can't find anything that's small enough to fit on a keychain. If anybody has any suggestions...

8:12 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Victorinox Cybertool 34.  Same one I carry everyday.

{flame suit on} {..starts feeding troll...}

the-art-of-trolling.jpg

10:47 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Wow really.Oh goddie, goddie.............. If there weren't enough choices within all of the parameters of all of our gear choices...........instead of what sleeping bag, backpack tent, stove sleeping pad etc  I might need …….really …………….don’t make me find more crap to carry into the hill’s.

Ok, Today, as I read this I pull everything out my pockets, low and behold I have…………… two Leatherman super tool's................. in my coverall's and one in my man purse as I cannot wear a belt and carry anything on my hip because of my injury.

I only say this out of jest, but I really do have two Leatherman’s on me today, I‘m not sure why………….........really ............but it's is time for some "jest" as I’ve noticed as things have gotten mighty serious as of late..............so, like, if you were going into the back county what would you bring……….a Rambo style knife or a cigar sniper…........what blade do you carry.................really what would you carry......show your blades dude’s and dudet’s...........whatcha got???????????????............really………………

Fess us up all................................ what ya’ll got blade wise...................................................

I'll show you mine if you show me ur's………………………………..............

11:19 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

Geez, Brian, are you SURE that you are not on "meds".....ya gotta stop smokin' that sch*t, man!!!!

;)

12:41 a.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

sigh................exhale............

I only ask cause I'm going under the knife again (good thing)..............so I'm wonerin..............what should the man use. A Rambo style knife or maybe something with a little more class like a true samurai sword. I bet a true master can make the proper cuts. ;-}>

1:06 a.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,290 forum posts

i'll sometimes take a folding knife, sometimes a fixed blade.

i agree about the fallkniven f1.  simple, sturdy, sharp, not too big.  the other fixed blade knife i use regularly is a bark river knife & tool gameskeeper.  a very nice knife, holds an edge just a little better than the fallkniven.  the blade is tool steel, so it can corrode if you don't wipe it with mineral oil from time to time.  either way, they travel in the top of my backpack. 

my favorite folding knife is the spyderco paramilitary 2.  great handle scales and blade, and i love the locking mechanism, basically a liner lock but on the spine - unusual but very effective. 

2:43 a.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

apeman said:

I only ask cause I'm going under the knife again (good thing)..............so I'm wonerin..............what should the man use. A Rambo style knife or maybe something with a little more class like a true samurai sword. I bet a true master can make the proper cuts. ;-}>

I wish that you were not rather "crunched" and were younger and I was still running various large forestry projects/crews as your zany sense of humour and friendly demeanour are what every camp needs around the fire, at night,after 10-12 hours of backbreaking work!  I get a huge chuckle out of this kind of joking around and TS seems to need a little "lightening up"of late.

2:56 a.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Thanks, that makes me smile!!   That is a good thought to rest upon tonight!!

3:12 a.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

apeman said:

I wish that you were not rather "crunched" and were younger and I was still running various large forestry projects/crews as your zany sense of humour and friendly demeanour are what every camp needs around the fire, at night,after 10-12 hours of backbreaking work!  I get a huge chuckle out of this kind of joking around and TS seems to need a little "lightening up"of late.

I agree 150%(if that is possible.)

7:19 a.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,307 forum posts

I always carry a small fixed blade, the Kabar Becker Necker BK11, weighs 2.5oz.

In the winter when i am bringing my white gas stove, snowshoes etc, i will also bring a leatherman squirt.

8:36 a.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

Benchmade Mini Grip & lately a Bear Gryllis fixed blade with firestarter on shoulder strap.  I have to say I've beaten the new Bear knife up and its a beast.  Love it.

1:16 p.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

When I said quickly, I should have worded it differently I guess. I just meant without opening my pack or un doing my waist belt. I cant find a comfortable place on my belt because of my pack. I like it on my chest but it does have an aggressive undertone I guess. I like the easy acces tho, I mostly hike with my kids and they constantly want some package cut open or a walking stick trimmed. Plus I like the fixed blade for cooking or cleaning fish. Nothing worse than fish guts in the hinge of a folder. I carry the sog seal pup, similar to gonzans but with some serrations and a slimmer handle. This knife is light and reasonably cheap, not a huge loss if I do lose it. I also carry one on the little gerber multi tools. I dont remember the model. I have the gerber bear grylls knife, my son bought it for me last year. The finish started to wear off the blade almost immediately and the serrations had several burrs left attatched. I am a big fan of gerber products and this is the only one I have ever had a problem with. I do love the sheath with all its attatchment options. I have ordered the kydex sheath for my sog hoping to match the performance of the gerbers stock one tho.

5:20 p.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
179 reviewer rep
181 forum posts

I carry a well worn Gerber LST.

One ounce, does everything I need.

6:07 p.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

I carry a Schrade oldtimer breeze lockblade. I also have a gerber leatherman which I take at times.

11:41 p.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
364 forum posts

I usually carry both.  A folder clipped in the pocket (Spyderco Para or UKPK, or Buck Mayo) and a fixed blade in my pack for heavier chores around camp, usually a custom from Ray Laconico.

2:24 p.m. on May 17, 2012 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

I carry both as well. Nothing fancy or expensive. I have an old Case XX that was my fathers. It must weigh a pound and half, but it means something to me to have it with me. It stays on me so I have something even if I'm away from my pack. I keep it surgical & use it for most food chores and whittling in my hammock chair. Takes & keeps and edge extremely well.

P1010199.jpg

P1010198.jpg

Then I have my old Ka-bar that I've had for close to 30 years now. It's good for hammering on and the brute chores.

And by the way Apeman, your not the only one that brings a hatchet with you. Ultralight be dammed, it's pleasurable at times.

Been thinking my son is going to get his first knife for his 9th birthday this year. I was going to get him a nice vintage lockblade, but now I'm thinking about making him a fixed blade myself. Think I'm gonna have him help me - like I'd be able to keep him away- so he sees how much work goes into it and when it's all done, present it to him. Something for him to remember when he's out there after I'm gone.

7:59 p.m. on May 17, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

I do not much like carrying things in my pants pockets, or having to dig through them to get things while sitting so I prefer a fixed blade knife on my belt for most camp chores. I don't like cargo pockets either.

Although I have a couple bigger and nicer knives I love my Mora 11835 Survivor Bushcraft knife for camp chores. It makes a great small kitchen & carving knife & a decent fillet knife.

I do like my SAK as it has pretty darn good scissors, tweezers, pick, and so forth - so it goes in my FAK for longer trips.

I have a SOG multi tool that is very nice, but I just leave it in my boat's kit nowadays.

Mike G.

12:11 p.m. on May 18, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,329 reviewer rep
1,219 forum posts

Lots of bites on this one

300px-Trolling_drawing-2-.jpg

12:55 p.m. on May 18, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts
8:30 p.m. on May 24, 2012 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

I saw this fixed blade titanium knife for $125 online.

For $125, I think I like my Trango Piranha and CRKT Peck.

The CRKT Peck is my bird and trout knife.

The Trango Piranha has an edge for cutting webbing or nylon cordage.

I would need a weight scale to find out which one is the lightest weight.

There is also the Snow Peak titanium replacement knife for $11.95 for their Snow Peak three piece Titanium Cutlery set.

Vargo has their Titanium Spoon / Fork / Knife Set for $24.95

I like my Snow Peak Titanium Sport and Titanium Short Spork instead.

I carry fingernail clippers and the OTOM tick remover, large and small, as well as mini sissors for everything else for backpacking.

11:54 a.m. on May 25, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

croc-dundee-knife.jpg

10:13 p.m. on June 7, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
48 forum posts

Kershaw Skyline for the folder:

From the website -

"Pocketknife with super-slim 3-1/8-inch stainless-steel blade

Made of corrosion-resistant, super-sharp Sandvik steel

Textured G-10 handle in basic black provides secure grip

Sturdy locking liner keeps blade in place; removable pocket clip

Measures 7-3/8 inches overall

Made in America"

2.3 ounces, less than $40.  This is a great EDC tool that stays with me in the woods.  Really holds an edge, handles all normal camp tasks no problem.

Kershaw-Skyline.jpg

Kabar Mark 1 Navy for the fixed blade:

From the website -

"High quality 5 1/8" blade made from 1095 Cro-Van steel-Straight Edge

Durable handle made from black kraton G

Heavy-duty hard plastic sheath

Overall Length 9 3/16"

Made in the USA"

11 ounces with (kydex) sheath, less than $50. 

This is a very comfortable knife for bushcraft use.  Excellant blade for the money, excellant blade at twice the price.

Kabar-Mark-1-Navy.jpg

HYOH

Drake

12:06 p.m. on June 8, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

i prefer a folder and usually carry either my case sod buster or a smith and wesson quick opener clip on my pa in law gave me. if i am camping i also carry my 21 inch seymour machete, like Apeman and Wreck diver said, weight be damned, theres somethings i wont be without and my machete is one of em. i used to use a hatchet alot but after losing my last one my pa in law gave me a light weight s&w but it is just to light to be useful so i have it put up and when they are older the grandboys can wear theirselves out trying to get some use out of it. i have a few fixed blades but i rarely carry any of them. my favorite is a ww2 issue camillus i got when i was about 13 or 14 years old.  i picked it up with some fat lighter kindling about 20 years ago and threw it in the fire without realizing it and burnt the stacked leather handle off so now it has a handle of wrapped on para cord. i was really afraid the temper had been ruined but if it effected it i cant tell it still takes and holds an edge well.

earl

2:01 p.m. on June 8, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Here is an option:

(Gerber Gator)

0123001844.jpg

Can take a pretty good edge too. :)

6:32 p.m. on June 9, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

Rick, i have considered a gator but i like the longer blades of the machetes cause ive only got sight in one eye so the depth perception aint great. the longer blade keeps the work further away, less chance of gettin my foot or leg. with a long machete generaly even if you take a bad swipe the blade is long enough it will hit the ground instead of your foot or leg. my best freind is a survey/mapper, he passed that tid-bit on to me about twenty years ago and so far it has proven true.

earl

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply