Sandal or slipper type for camp shoe

6:10 p.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
55 forum posts

I am trying to decide what kind of camp shoe I want to use, I want it lightweight and packable so I am thinking sandals or maybe some of those zip together slipper type shoes.

Obviously they both have advantages one being more open to allow your feet to breath after a long hike the other offering more protection. I would like to not have to worry about socks with a camp shoe.

Just wondering what type you guys use during decent weather and what you like and do not like about them

6:26 p.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts
6:29 p.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
60 reviewer rep
115 forum posts

I don't like sandals or flip-flops because they expose your feet to abrasions. I like crocs. They can be worn with sox, protect your feet, can be worn through water, dry quickly, are light, breathable, and comfortable. If you pack items inside them they don't really take up that much space and will protect anything fragile.

6:30 p.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts
6:33 p.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
55 forum posts

Yea the more I read backpcking forums the more I find people suggesting these....saves me a lot of money this way anyhow. TY for the quick feedback

6:41 p.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

I use Teva sandles. I like my feet airing out and I don't wear socks with them. Made with webbing. Their also great for crossing streams. Some people like their toes protected while in camp. I like the tevas because I know everything is getting plenty or air and circulation.

6:55 p.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
387 forum posts

moccasins

7:39 p.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,069 forum posts

I just bought a pair of brand new unused TEVAs at a gear exchange shop for $20 in my size (14) First pair I have had in 10 years. Thats my camp shoes.

9:29 p.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

I would want something with a toe box for safety.  I had slipped on sandals the other day and walked across my lawn to turn off my water.  The front of the sandal picked up a stick and it went between my foot and the sandal, jabbing hard enough to make my foot bleed.

9:44 p.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Well, I had a pair of Keen McKenzies. After much thought I just got to the point where I didn't like the fit so I gave them to my neighbor.

asstd-3-006.jpg

A little pricey but they are nice. Like I said my big problem with them is fit. I did like the mesh inserts. This kept out twigs, rock, and other small debris that would infiltrate a normal sandal. 

I am still stuck on my Teva Omniums. I love these things.

004.jpg

They have been whooped on. Everything from kayak trips, to city streets. These are a little over 3yrs old and I am currently wearing them as I type this. 

They make a great camp shoe. Very well made, offer great toe protection, and when I get to camp I yank the boots and the "whooly monsters" off and fire these on. 

Gotta say, its a great feeling. 

I think its about time to get a new pair but these are like an old friend. I'm not much of a "color" person but I really like the Ombre Blue that they released. (I do wear these in other places than just the backcountry :)

I am fighting the urge not to snag up the Vibram Five Fingers Trek Sport. Might be wiser for me to stick with what I know works but the Vibrams have me curious. 

I do love my Tevas though... Alot.

12:27 p.m. on May 18, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
411 reviewer rep
1,022 forum posts

When I'm going light, I'm barefoot around camp, or wearing the same sneakers I hike in.  Otherwise. I like dollar-store flip flops.  I had a pair that lasted nearly 5 years!

1:10 p.m. on May 18, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

$2 flip flops

3:03 p.m. on May 18, 2012 (EDT)
20 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

If a camp shoe, then a Sanuk handsdown for comfort, and the Chico model is basically a flip-flop sole with a canvas upper, meaning ounces on the weight. They are a little pricy, but sales at places such as Zappos are a great way to get a deal on them. They also have enough room in them for swollen feet to relax after a long day, plus they may become your everyday shoe if the occasion permits.

3:05 p.m. on May 18, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Cheap flip flops,    Cheap, pack flat, light, allow feet to air out

5:04 p.m. on May 18, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,282 forum posts

lightest, least expensive, and most likely to keep your feet intact is a pair of crocs.  flip flops cost less, but you're more likely to stub your toes or otherwise ding up your feet.

i prefer a pair of fivefingers.  not cheap, but very lightweight and very comfortable after a day in boots. 

5:30 p.m. on May 18, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

Sierra Designs down booties for cold Winter/Snow, Teva Omniums with my woolie socks if it's dry but cool, no socks if its warm/wet, my teva lightweight mush flips if it's hot. Have worn my Teva Mountain Scuff suede (waterproofed) in the late fall/early spring. They are microfleece lined and have toe protection.

5:44 p.m. on May 18, 2012 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

I don't mean this to insult any of you who do use "camp shoes" but I've never been one for fads & see a day when people may look back on these Crocs things like they do now with bell bottom pants. :)

I literally grew up in boots. Worked in em, hiked in em, lived in em. For several years of my life I didn't even own anything else, so I'm pretty comfortable in my boots. In fact I'm wearing them right now sitting at my desk. If my feet are feeling a little worn from the trail I'll either just open the laces and tuck them in the side, or, having been a martial artist most of my life, I am fine in my bare feet on just about any terrain and that is supposedly quite healthy for your feet.

6:19 p.m. on May 18, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

GaryPalmer said:

I just bought a pair of brand new unused TEVAs at a gear exchange shop for $20 in my size (14) First pair I have had in 10 years. Thats my camp shoes.

DEAL

6:20 p.m. on May 18, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

jad said:

$2 flip flops

My boos, many years ago, would wear these at work.  He ran a construction company so called them, affectionately, Japanese Safety Boots.

11:19 p.m. on May 18, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

I go barefoot when possible. I carry flip flops, too.

12:50 a.m. on May 19, 2012 (EDT)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

For the last several years I have been using a pair of closed toe sandals called "Sand"  Not sure where I got them, probably Big 5, but they work good on firm land and let my feet air out after hiking for the day or what not. 

But on this last trip, they actually became more of a pain then going with out them a lot of the time.  Small pea gravel, rocks, and sand would get inside the shoe and really irritate my feet and down right hurt, more so because of tinder spots from the boots. 

I think in the future I am going to be looking for a light weight pair of water shoes. 

Wolfman

11:25 a.m. on May 19, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,282 forum posts

i forgot my workout shoes for yesterday's walk, so i went about 7 miles in a pair of chacos, Z2s, that were in the trunk of my car.  carried about 20 pounds.  my feet felt great throughout.  can't argue with that.  

12:07 a.m. on May 20, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
347 forum posts

For a number of years I carried Tevas to put on after a long day on the trail.  This year I have switched to Merrell Trail Gloves

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/26531M/0/Mens/Barefoot-Run-Trail-Glove-Wide-Width?dimensions=0

July 22, 2014
Quick Reply