Making a move to lighter insulating layer

10:02 p.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
269 forum posts

I've been bping for years now, mostly solo.  My worse area of knowledge or place I spend the least on is clothes.  I have decided I wanted to lighten up a little from my Polartec 100 top and a WM vest as my morning and evening wear in the Sierra during summer trips.  Their weight is at 16.5 oz.  I plan on switching to longsleeve shirts and I just bought a used Mont Bell light down jacket that weighs 7 oz. I believe.  Not sure how much heavier the longsleeve shirts will be, but I'm hoping to lose almost half a pound with the switch.  I currently use shortsleeve shirts, so all I'll be adding back is the weight of the sleeves.  On most trips, whether a o/n or week long, I bring a extra shirt, underwear, socks and of course switched to zip off pants a few years ago finally.  Not sure I'll ever be UL, but I'll try to close in on that distinction in the next year or so by adding a quilt and then a smaller and lighter cuben pack.  My current insulating setup is versatile, whereas the newer setup will be tougher I guess, I'll have to roll up the sleeves on the shirts and/or the jacket to regulate temps.  Any thoughts?

Duane

11:20 p.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

My work for years, since '94, has required the use of thermals (inside) and an outer layer being generally waterproof.  My work has long periods of boredom and then moments of sheer panic with extreme exertion, thus heat and perspiration. At sea level.

I have liked the long sleeve mid weight thermal with turtle neck collar and zip on every trip.

I have been in conditions from equatorial to 50+ latitude with hail, freezing rain, sleet, snow and ice bergs. I have managed with no more than (from outside to inside,

- Outwear ,  waterproof breathable

- midweight fleece pullover

- midweight fleece vest

- midweight thermal long sleeve a listed above

- lightweight thermal shoert sleeve

Bottom

- Split off side zip heavy weight fleece pants

- midweight thermal pants

- lightweight thermal boxer briefs

- lightweight underwear briefs

Feet

- Goretex gatored boots

- mountaineering socks

- liner socks

11:36 p.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
269 forum posts

The worst temps I have encountered in the summer is around 28F and as in many cases, gotten by.  Fleece is too bulky and heavy, but I like my Polartec 100 top.  The key would be layers, but then I start adding weight back and I'm more concerned about the top.

Duane

December 22, 2014
Quick Reply