Smart Poles?

1:40 p.m. on May 24, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

So apparently an IT manager has developed a "smart pole" for skiing.

(see below)

http://www.skinet.com/skiing/articles/smart-poles

This leads me to a few questions that may make for an interesting conversation(I think.)

Could this tech be seen in trekking poles in the not so distant future?

Where does one draw the line when technology is implemented into your bc endeavors?

Better question; are we becoming too reliant upon technology(ie the gps will get me back)and far less concerned with knowledge(ie how to properly use a map & compass)and a disregard for common sense?

Thoughts?

3:12 p.m. on May 24, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

Better question; are we becoming too reliant upon technology(ie the gps will get me back)and far less concerned with knowledge(ie how to properly use a map & compass)and a disregard for common sense?

Thoughts?

Complacent and forgetful

3:33 p.m. on May 24, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Now that you mention it I'm surprised that somebody hasn't put a compass in the handle of a trekking pole. 

As for seeing this tech in trekking poles you would probably only have to email them.  My guess is that they haven't thought about it. A small rewrite of the app so you had info for hikers rather than skiers. 

4:37 p.m. on May 24, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
803 reviewer rep
503 forum posts

My wife has Komperdell poles and they have a button compass on top of each one.
komperdell.jpg

5:38 p.m. on May 24, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Cool...  You would think that it would be a more popular option.

7:08 p.m. on May 24, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,280 forum posts

Yawn... 
I can hardly wait for the headlamp that turns on when you clap, a canister gas powered backpacker's microwave oven. hunter-seeker fishing lures, and self cleaning hiking shorts.  Hmm, self cleaning shorts; just what every man needs.

But in the mean time I am still trying to learn how to progrm my bettamax.

I would rather save up for a spouse remote controller.  Don't tell my wife there is one for men too.

Ed
spouse-remote.jpg

4:28 p.m. on May 30, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

Where does one draw the line when technology is implemented into your bc endeavors?

I go out hiking, and especially to the backcountry, to escape this kind of stuff. I'll carry a cell phone for emergencies, but I'll turn it OFF unless it's really needed! Fortunately, there's usually no cell phone coverage where I go, anyway.

Few things are more annoying to me than someone texting or making phone calls while they're hiking, and someone blindly following their GPS waypoints instead of paying attention to where you're going is not very smart. And let's not even discuss hiking along listening to your Ipod instead of the birds and the breezes and the brooks and the sounds of the forest.

You spend all that money, and go to all the trouble, to get out on a trail, (or in this case to go skiing). Why not enjoy the scenery?

...are we becoming too reliant upon technology...and far less concerned with knowledge...?

And, yeah, we are. What are you going to do when the batteries fail? That couldn't possibly happen in a ski pole exposed to -20°, could it?

7:32 p.m. on May 30, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Ed said:

I can hardly wait for the headlamp that turns on when you clap

that's funny.

a canister gas powered backpacker's microwave oven

useless, I have fire.  How about a canister gas powered beer cooler?

hunter-seeker fishing lures, and

There have been days when I could have used them.

self cleaning hiking shorts.  Hmm, self cleaning shorts; just what every man needs.

Self drying clothes like the jacket from Back to the Future II. Who cares about Gortex and it ilk then.

July 31, 2014
Quick Reply