A thanks to Niels and Valandré...

1:16 p.m. on May 28, 2012 (EDT)
8 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

I wanted to take a moment and tell everyone about the experience that I had with Niels from Valandré.

When I moved to Colorado, I didn't have a clue to down sleeping bags and  what "COLD" really meant.  Over the past few years, I have been budgeting for winter gear.  My research has lead me to Valandré as one of the top producers of winter sleeping bags.  Yes, two others are on the same or near level; Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering.

I found a local selling his Valandré Odin and sold it to me within my budget, I reached out to Niels via PM.  He had me upload images and told me all about this sleeping bag.  Provided me with questions to ask about it AND offered to completely service the bag without question!  Now this is over the top and beyond your conventional company.  Offering to service a used bag without questions!  I purchased the bag and Niels then lead me to their site on how to wash, dry and maintain this sleeping bag.  I washed the bag and dried it and took it home.  Well, my girl friend saw it and laid in it and being it was two days before her birthday... SHE CLAIMED IT!  NOOOOOO!!!!! What does a man do...  man up and give it to her.  So I am back without a winter sleeping bag but with a very happy and very warm girl friend.  At least now she doesn't have an excuse why she can't go winter camping with me!  More importantly, I can tell you that I am keeping my eye out for another Valandré Odin or Thor.  Without a doubt, Valandré stands behind their products!!!

Thank you Niels!

Regards,
C. Mason
Aka: Stainless

1:58 p.m. on May 28, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

stainless said:

I wanted to take a moment and tell everyone about the experience that I had with Niels from Valandré.

When I moved to Colorado, I didn't have a clue to down sleeping bags and  what "COLD" really meant.  Over the past few years, I have been budgeting for winter gear.  My research has lead me to Valandré as one of the top producers of winter sleeping bags.  Yes, two others are on the same or near level; Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering.

I found a local selling his Valandré Odin and sold it to me within my budget, I reached out to Niels via PM.  He had me upload images and told me all about this sleeping bag.  Provided me with questions to ask about it AND offered to completely service the bag without question!  Now this is over the top and beyond your conventional company.  Offering to service a used bag without questions!  I purchased the bag and Niels then lead me to their site on how to wash, dry and maintain this sleeping bag.  I washed the bag and dried it and took it home.  Well, my girl friend saw it and laid in it and being it was two days before her birthday... SHE CLAIMED IT!  NOOOOOO!!!!! What does a man do...  man up and give it to her.  So I am back without a winter sleeping bag but with a very happy and very warm girl friend.  At least now she doesn't have an excuse why she can't go winter camping with me!  More importantly, I can tell you that I am keeping my eye out for another Valandré Odin or Thor.  Without a doubt, Valandré stands behind their products!!!

Thank you Niels!

Regards,
C. Mason
Aka: Stainless

Hey Stainless,

I would have to agree with your assesment of Valandré. I think Valandré is very luck to have Neils working for them. We had a bag here that was for sale recently that I ended up buying and then tried to figure out what exact model it was as it was not marked. Low and behold up pop's Neils to chime in as everyone can read on this thread.

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/classifieds/topics/120532.html

In an effort to find out what bag this was/is I weighed it and sent all the info to Neils and this was his responce:

May 14, 2012 at 11:10 a.m. (EDT)

I think it's a 900g fill, (Nanga 900). The limite of comfort should be around -20c max, once it's been serviced. Everything is fine across the pond: Greese is in cahos, and France have a new President....But as he is soon comming to the US to chat with Obama....you will get a chance to know him as well!

Best

Niels

If I were to look for a new or another bag, my dealings with Neils and Valandré would put them at the top of the list just because of how helpful they have been. If all things were equal, my experiance with them could well be the deciding factor.

10:51 p.m. on June 2, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

Nice comments guys.

I have breakfast with Niels usually every Sunday when he is in SLC for the OR Show.  Without a doubt he takes pride in his work as designer and is quite the perfectionist.

As a dealer, there have been times when I have been in a pinch to provide certain bags for clients that needed them ASAP, and he has dropped everything and FEDEX'd the gear from France, and eaten a lot of the shipping cost.

He even especially made a Sirius in a color for one of my clients in Alaska once, in a color that was not offered in the USA.  He certainly does bend over backwards for the consumer.

As a sidenote...the women (Gerlinde) who climbed K2 recently was wearing a Valandre Combi down suit during her summit...and no frostbite.

12:00 p.m. on June 3, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

I am intrigued by the Mirage for my needs.  Anyone have any experiences with retailers that sell Valandre that they might recommend?

1:42 p.m. on June 4, 2012 (EDT)
8 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

I haven't dealt with any dealers but contact Valandre directly.  Based on my dealings with them, they are only dealing with reputable dealers.  You should also contact Vigilguy (above your comments), it appears that he is a dealer, based on his comments.

2:36 p.m. on June 4, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Family Guy, I would also strongly suggest contacting vigilguy in regards to your inquiries concerning the Mirage.

2:51 p.m. on June 4, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Yes, Vigilguy is a Valandre dealer, and is a great guy to work with. 

4:40 p.m. on June 4, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Great - thanks

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply