Teva Omniums or VFF Trek Sports

11:38 a.m. on June 1, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Well, my beloved Omniums are about at the end of their lifespan. I have had them for about 3yrs now and the soles are pretty much cooked. 

They have accompanied me on many kayak trips, backpacking trips(great camp shoe,) and also have been my daily wear comfort driven casual in the summer.

I really love my Omniums and they are the best sport sandal I have ever owned and I have owned many. 

Now its time for a replacement. 

I am leaning towards another pair of Omniums but I have to say I am quite intrigued by the Five Finger Trek Sports. 

Anyone have any feedback to help me with my decision? I have read many reviews on the Trek Sports and I know the Omniums very well.

I guess I am looking for a bit of feedback on how well the VFFs hold up over time, how well they wear(sole,) so on and so forth.

Any info will be helpful.

My use for this footwear will include:

• Kayaking
  • Backpacking(light weight/warmer seasons)
  • General wear(comfort driven)
  • Camp shoes
  • Stream crossings

I am kinda stuck on this one. I suppose its a curiosity thing with me in regards to the VFFs living up to all the hype I have heard. 

I am somewhat hesitant to change up what works if ya get my drift...

Thanks in advance. 

7:50 p.m. on June 1, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Last year I took my daughter's friend with us on our AT Hike.  She wore her five finger shoes.  I don't know what model they were.  I think it was a lighter duty model than the trek sports.  She usually wore them life guarding at the local water park.

She said they were fine except when she crossed streams and got them wet. I assume the dirt inside would chafe her feet them.  My worry would be how well they drain and how quickly they dried.  For crossing streams they might be better allowing you foot to flex more and grip rocks better.

Personally I can't stand something between my toes and in Florida there is a lot of sand to get in them. 

9:56 a.m. on June 2, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,283 forum posts

i see them as occupying slightly different categories, with some overlap.  for kayaking and stream crossings, the omniums might be better because they dry faster than the treksports (i agree with the comment above).

for light the other categories you listed, the fivefingers are an interesting choice.  worn WITH socks; i found that my feet tend to blister otherwise.  

August 1, 2014
Quick Reply