3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

Parachute Fabric , how strong is this?

6:42 p.m. on June 1, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,555 forum posts

tam1852,

Parachute fabric was made of silk at one time, but I assume you are referring to the modern version made of nylon.

There are many versions of fabric commonly called "parachute" fabric.

You can get different quality, weights, thread count, denier, - you can get plain, coated, or treated fabrics. All this plays into your question of "how strong is this".

Can you post the specs of (or link to) the fabric you are referring to - and if possible the textile mill where it is made?

Also what is the application(s) you are considering? - tent, tarp, hammock, other?

Some very common weights used in hammocks are 1.1 & 1.7 capable of supporting around 250 - 300 lbs. or so. Probably more but that is what I have seen manufacturers rate their hammocks at.

Mike G.

7:32 p.m. on June 1, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,765 forum posts

Strong enough to withstand the opening shock of a parachute with everything from a human being to a heavy piece of artillery under it.

10:32 p.m. on June 1, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
488 reviewer rep
1,087 forum posts

Hi tam,

Ive heard good things about both the tensile strength and water resistance of zpf (zero porosity fabric).

Have you checked a retailer like seattle fabrics?

10:44 p.m. on June 1, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
913 forum posts

I know that you are just starting and looking for materials.  Did you find a stash of '80's parachute pants?

Sorry I couldn't resist.  :)

I would get a sample and test. 

11:34 p.m. on June 1, 2012 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
31 forum posts

Look up questoutfitters.com . I have bought some fabrics them . You might find a special sewing machine is needed for some applications . Some fabrics need special sticth to be water tight. Check out what kind of machine might be needed , such as mutli needle machines like a juki.   You can coat the fabric yourself.Remember to coat seams before and after sewn

5:18 p.m. on June 2, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

Seth said:

Hi tam,

Ive heard good things about both the tensile strength and water resistance of zpf (zero porosity fabric).

Have you checked a retailer like seattle fabrics?

I will check on this, and yes I know of Seattle fabrics.

5:18 p.m. on June 2, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

ocalacomputerguy said:

I know that you are just starting and looking for materials.  Did you find a stash of '80's parachute pants?

Sorry I couldn't resist.  :)

I would get a sample and test. 

LOL

5:20 p.m. on June 2, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

mudfoot74 said:

Look up questoutfitters.com . I have bought some fabrics them . You might find a special sewing machine is needed for some applications . Some fabrics need special sticth to be water tight. Check out what kind of machine might be needed , such as mutli needle machines like a juki.   You can coat the fabric yourself.Remember to coat seams before and after sewn

Thank you, we have all the machines we need.Just need a couple more things for the Trilitary.

10:48 p.m. on June 2, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

Bearpawwd.com has a lot of fabric options. They seem to be a little cheaper than seattle fabrics. I ordered from bearpawwd and my fabric came quickly and was a half yard longer than ordered.

8:44 a.m. on June 3, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

hotdogman said:

Bearpawwd.com has a lot of fabric options. They seem to be a little cheaper than seattle fabrics. I ordered from bearpawwd and my fabric came quickly and was a half yard longer than ordered.

I haven;t heard of them before, I will check it out.Thank you.

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply