Small aluminum fry pan

7:24 p.m. on June 3, 2012 (EDT)
447 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

I have a 6 1/2 inch (diameter) aluminum, non-stick fry pan (no handle) but would like a 5" to 5 1/2" aluminum, non-stick fry pan. There is a significant size difference which makes a small pan more packable, not to mention lighter. Been haunting supermarkets' kitchen gear sections for one but no luck.

If you know of a source let me know. (Other than, say, Williams Sonoma!) I want this for times when I'd like pancakes or also to fry up scrambled egg mix. Several freeze-dried omlette mixes require cooking and pot cooking in my 3 cup anodized pot is "inconveniant" and messy. (Yes, I do have a tiny Lexan spatula.)

This little fry pan is one of those luxuries I'll sometimes carry for its benefit. Sorta like carrying my Thermarest ProLite reg. mattress instead of my lighter but bulkier and less comfortable Ridgerest.

9:38 p.m. on June 3, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,316 forum posts

Have you considered the smaller 'egg pans'? I may have the name wrong, but basically they are the size to fry one egg. I would guess the skillet is around 4in I see them at dollar stores often, and places like Walmart etc as well. Not exactly what your lookin for, but it might fit your needs

9:42 p.m. on June 3, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,316 forum posts

The common one I see is the T-fal one egg wonder 4.5in pan, take off the handle and you have a decently light and small frypan

1:31 p.m. on June 4, 2012 (EDT)
447 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

Thanks guys. I'll look for it. Seems to be the right size and I've removed handles from cookware before, back in the '70s when "good cookware" meant a SIGG Tourist kit for my SVEA 123 stove.

6:19 p.m. on June 4, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,485 forum posts

Yes...the One Egg Wonder fry pan is very popular with backpackers it seems. I have a very small square griddle that I use, so I haven't bought one myself.

Mike G.

10:15 p.m. on June 4, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

I found a small company in Utah a few years ago where I picked up a Trangia non-stick fry pan, pretty small.  I had to look in the parts seciton of their online stove, cannot remember their name.  It does not have much depth.  Match that with a pot lifter from Trail Designs, I think we'd have something.

Duane

1:11 a.m. on June 5, 2012 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

I have an vintage boy scout cook kit. It won't break so I won't replace it.

12:42 p.m. on June 5, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

I just purchased the trangia 28 UL mini solo frying pan from ebay. I paid $10 for it w/ shipping. 5 7/8" in diameter, by 7/8" high, non-stick, sold by wny_flyfisher.

10:55 p.m. on June 6, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,079 forum posts

I was going to suggest Trangia's Gourmet Fry Pan, but I think the dimensions are too large.  I have the pan, it's very nicely made.

http://www.trangia.se/english/2927.frypans.html

10:16 p.m. on June 7, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
48 forum posts

+1 on the Trangia mini.

3:16 p.m. on June 8, 2012 (EDT)
447 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

Guys, I found a small frypan - an aluminum " Good Cook 5" mini frypan" at my local Albertson's supermarket cookware section.

Without the handle it perfectly fits my Trail Designs Sidewinder Caldera Cone stove which is made for their 3 cup pot. Not only that but my pot lid exactly fits the skillet. Talk about luck! Without the handle it weighs exactly 5 oz. I ground the two rivets off, removed the handle and peened the rivets over again so there sould not be two holes in the side of the skillet. So I guess with the tiny spatula I'm carrying and extra 1/3 of a pound. Something else will have to be sacrificed, perhaps a foil pouch of shrimp or tuna to make room for the frypan weight. 

Gonna lead a 37 mile backpack this summer on Nevada's Ruby Crest Trail ("the Yosemete of Nevada") and I may take this frypan for eggs and pancakes. After all a leader should also display good cusine technique, right?  :o)

Dr.Reaper> Hmmm... Boy Scout cook kit? I still have my kit from the '50s but would never fry in that pan because it sticks to beat the band no matter what oil you use in it. Too thin. And then there's that iffy handle & wing nut thingy.

October 1, 2014
Quick Reply