top end storage for water - why don't more companies do it?

11:57 a.m. on June 4, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,283 forum posts

i got the big pack out, loaded it with sleeping bags and weights, and went for a walk sunday.  this particular backpack (i'll omit the brand) has addressed the camelbak/platypus issue by sectioning the lid and building a port into the underside of the lid.  the section of the lid that holds the reservoir can handle a 3 liter camelbak reservoir.

properly situated, i like having the reservoir in the lid.  it doesn't take up space inside the backpack.  gravity helps the water flow, even when it's mostly empty.  the only downside, mild given the light-colored material on my backpack, is that if you're in the sun a lot, it heats up the reservoir a little more than if it's inside the pack.

how many manufacturers use this solution? it seems to me most put a sleeve inside the backpack.  why don't more use the lid solution?

appreciate your observations.

12:48 p.m. on June 4, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
387 forum posts

When bladders were first hitting the market, I think it was common for them to be in the lid of the pack.  I can think of a couple packs I own that are like this.  Both from the mid 90s.

12:01 a.m. on June 5, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,280 forum posts

I think the theory in placing the bladders against the back considers balance, stability, and weight distribution issues, since water is a relatively massive for the volume it occupies.

Ed

7:01 a.m. on June 5, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

I think it's balance and that it you can hang the bladder so the outlet is at the bottom allowing you to empty it. 

11:38 a.m. on June 5, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Lower weight distribution, pack compresses water bladder, gravity feed is neglible.

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply