Orange Superfeet

11:37 a.m. on June 22, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,259 forum posts

I'm looking to do whatever I can to minimize my usual foot sore/tired/hurt for my upcoming JMT trip.  So I got a pair of Superfeet insoles to use with the Vasque Scree 2.0 shoes I got yesterday.  I checked out the various models ... and tried the blue before I selected Orange.  With Blue I didn't notice a real difference from the stock insoles.  With Orange the difference is noticeable - I feel a nominal increase in protection from below, and a significant difference in how the foot is held in position.

I selected Orange for this reason, as well as the way it's positioned:  "...ORANGE is ideal for men who run, walk, or stand for extended periods of time.  Provides maximum rear foot support with a full forefoot shock pad for added comfort..."

It feels like with these installed, I can go to lighter/smaller socks (rather than my usual full-height boot socks, which would be pretty dorky in a low-cut shoe).

Any comments before I start using these and make them non-returnable?  (well, technically I can return them anytime, since I bought them at REI, but don't feel good about returning something that's been used unless it's actually defective).

The Superfeet are quite expensive ($45), but worth it if they make my feet feel better, but still, it's a lot!  If there's some gotcha I don't know about yet I'd rather find out now...

8:27 a.m. on June 23, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

I haven't tried the Orange yet so this may not be any help.

The Green's used to be my favorite, but lately they have been making my arches a little sore so I switched to the blues which have less profile. The blue ones have been working very well for me but I also add a thin foam insert under them to take up a little volume in my boots, and to add some shock absorption.

Maybe I should take a look at the Orange myself, but I'm thinking I picked the blues because they were better for lower arches.

If I remember correctly the Superfeet have a satisfaction / money back policy from the manufacturer.

Mike G.

8:44 a.m. on June 23, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I have had my eye on the Copper version. May give them a whirl here shortly.

9:02 a.m. on June 23, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,460 forum posts

I have the Berry. Got them just before the trek and took the stock insoles along in case the Superfeet failed me. (I knew the stock KEEN insert was workable, but needed more of what the Superfeet tout and the reviewers confirmed.

I was quite happy with them and found that my heel was more stable in the back of the boot. I didn't get a single heel blister despite the very steep trail. Without the superfeet, I was getting blisters in the same boots with the same sock config.

Additionally, my feet stayed put better on steep downhills. Again, Same sock config and same boot model that I had used when I lost several nails on a steep retreat. I did, however, lace better and that might have also been a factor in the better downhill.

All in all, the superfeet were worth every penny I spent. I took them out of the boots and replaced the stock insert at the end and gave the boots away to the Sherpas.

9:58 p.m. on June 23, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

I've been using the Orange Superfeet insoles in my Merrel Moab Ventilators for almost two years now.  My feet are kind of flat and the inserts, to me, have a very high arch.  They felt a tad uncomfortable when I first got them, and feel a bit so whenever I use them after wearing other shoes.  But that feeling goes away after a few minutes.

Bottom line is, I like them.  They are comfortable (after I'm in them for a few minutes), and my feet are much less tired after a hike, though I only use these in lightweight shoes and on day hikes.

After two years in my shoes, the insoles show no appreciable sign of wear.

10:02 p.m. on June 23, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,259 forum posts

@Jim, that's a great idea.  I don't have to use these in just the new heavy shoes.  I, too, have Moab Ventilators, so I can use the Superfeet in those too. This would probably be a big help because the only issue I have with the Moabs is that my feet get tired quickly due to the soft sole.

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply