About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Hilleberg Tent Selection

7:36 p.m. on June 24, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hello All,

First, I'd just like to say that this might be my new favorite website.  The gear reviews are superb, and the community appears to be well behaved and exceedingly helpful.

The reason that I'm posting right now is that I'm trying to decide which tent to purchase.  I'm graduating college in the fall (a semester early), so my parents are using some of the tuition money I'm saving them to buy a new backpacking tent.  I'd ideally like this tent to last years, not seasons, so I've been doing a lot of research on various tents. Indeed, I’ve examined over 30 tents in the past few months.    

At this point, I've pretty much narrowed down my selection to Hillebergs, although the Big Agnes Copper Spur is still my fallback option.  Among Hilleberg's selection, I've pretty much narrowed it down to the following:

Nallo 2

Unna

Anjan 2

Rogen

So, does anyone have some input (positive or negative) on any of these tents? The Anjan & Rogen seem impressive, however since they're so new it's hard to find reviews on them.  I've never really cared about vestibules so the Unna appeals to me, particularly since Hilleberg claims that without gear there is room for a 2nd person, however I'm slightly hesitant about this claim (I'm a skinny 6 ft., but I use a 6'6" Thermarest pad and 6'6" WM bag).  As for the Nallo & Anjan, I've only used tunnel tents in Sweden for 2 weeks, but that wasn't backpacking, & in any case, I barely spent any time in them.  Anyone else have extensive experience using one?   

As for what I'm looking for, I'd like a 2-person tent that is light enough for plenty of solo use.  I live in PA and would like to use this tent as my “go to" shelter for most conditions, ranging from a possible Appalachian Trail Thru Hike to light winter camping in the Adirondacks (no exposure, & minimal snowfall).  I particularly care about condensation (I have a down bag) and since I expect to be doing plenty of summer camping I'd rather not have a tent too warm.  I have extensive backpacking and camping experience from Alaska to Africa and from New Mexico to New York, so I know how to care for my gear, but for the money I'm spending, I'd like to have something that will last.  

Thanks for the advice!

PA Scouter

7:40 p.m. on June 24, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

A (partial) selection of tents I've examined

Big Agnes: Seedhouse SL2, Fly Creek 2 Platinum

Big Sky: Mirage 2P, Montana 2P, Convertible 2P, Evolution 2P, Revolution 2P

EMS: Velocity 2

Hilleberg: Nammatj 2, Nammatj 2

Lightheart: Lightheart Duo

L.L.Bean: Microlight FS 2

Mountain Hardware: SuperMega UL2

MSR: Carbon Reflex 2

Nemo: Meta 2P, Obi 2P

Sierra Designs: Clip Flashlight 2, Lightning HT2, Vapor Light 2 XL, LT Strike 2, Mojo 2

Six Moon Designs: Lunar Duo Outfitter, Lunar Duo Explorer

Tarptent: Double Rainbow, Squall 2, StratoSpire 2, Scarp 2

10:42 p.m. on June 24, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
239 forum posts

I have the Nallo tent, but in the 3GT version. The reason for this selection is the following. In winter the tent is a backup/security when we go cross country skiing. The dog pulls the pulk, and with the large front we even could cram in the pulk inside. We are just two, but gear in winter takes space and therefore the 3 persons version. And the dog needs some space too.

The tent is superp, no question about that. But I have an old tent (heavy!!) more like the Kaitum 2 and I miss the vertikal end walls and the two entrance option that this tent has. If I did not have the pulk and the dog I would have gone for the Kaitum2 or similar.

And you are a longer person than me, then it is better to have the vertical end walls in the inner tent. For myself I have a 3 kilo limit for a tent that I'm supposed to carry. Since you are looking for one tent for all seasons, there are pros and cons with every option.

Otto 

4:05 p.m. on June 25, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

Based on your needs, I'd go with the Anjan 2. The Hilleberg staff tests their designs for a couple of years prior to releasing them for production in order to get the bugs worked out.

The Anjan is quite light and spacious, and the ventilation is good. It is labeled as a 3+ season tent here in the U.S.

Disclaimer- I am a Hilleberg retailer.

9:30 p.m. on June 25, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I just had the Rogen delivered and it's set up in the house thanks to the 105 degree temps in central Texas today. Came in at 4llbs 10oz on the nose. Sets up nice and easy and is really well pushed. For me personally I'm happy to use it as a year-round tent unless I'm headed into some serious mountains in winter.

Quality of the product appears to be of the highest hilleberg standard, only a few places to save weight in terns of zipper pulls. Guys already appear lightweight.

9:51 p.m. on June 25, 2012 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
106 forum posts

Hilleberg quality is superb, so is quality of half other tent manufacturers out there, hilleberg tents are also VERY expensive and on the heavy side, their tents are intended for intense weather, high snowfall, etc... except their 3 season which is half of the ones you mention, but still, in my opinion there are better 3 season out there.
Any tent will last you several years if you take good care of it, it's all about the fabric used in manufacture and how it's supposed to be stored, if you store a tent dry and stuffed correctly it will last you many years. 
If I were you, I would pick a solid 3 season tent,  preferably a dome tent that will support minimal snow fall as you described, since you solo hike I would try to push something under 3 and a half lbs, check out this list for tents under 3 lbs:
http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/12796/directory-lightweight-backpacking-shelters/

Note difference between minimum weight and packed weight, also some tents require trekking pole setup, these tent to be harder to setup, but save in weight if you use trekking pole.  I have a Hilleberg allak and a Tarptent Stratospire 2 which uses trekking pole, I took them on a trip to Yellowstone recently, and ended up only having to use the Stratospire due to superb weather, the setup of the later is much harder, but it was sooo nice to carry such a light tent around, you wont know until you experience it, I also love walking with trekking poles.

Anyways, hope that helped, take care =)

11:41 p.m. on June 25, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

A few thing with the Hilleberg 3 season tents.

The Kerlon 1000 fabric that is utilized for the outer is rated at a tear strength of 22lbs plus it is coated with silicone 2 times on the outer and once on the inner.

Being the tent utilizes an exo skeleton design means that even if you are pitching your tent in a downpour the inner will be dry when ya climb in.

I currently own the Soulo as well as a BA Copper Spur.

I can tell you that the attention to detail as well as the fabrics used are top notch in the Hille.

I am currently in the market for a few more tents. With the experience I had recently with Hilleberg they can get my money anytime w/o a 2nd thought.

There was a mistake in the corner stitching of the 1st Soulo I had that was causing the toggles that attach the inner to the outer to detach in random places.

Well at Hilleberg's request I sent the tent in.

Needless to say instead of them doing a fix, or replacing the portion that had the mistake they sent me a brand new complete tent.

That is what I refer to as a company standing behind their product and appreciating its customer base.

Expensive? Yes... But worth every stinking penny.

I will in the not to distant future be "investing" in more of their products.

3:50 a.m. on June 26, 2012 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
2,221 forum posts

A go-to tent that isn’t too hot in summer and rugged for winter?  That sounds more like two tents.  Which isn’t a bad idea.  Back when I started getting serious about gear I too purchased a one-for-all-uses tent.  It was a very good tent too, but on hindsight I think I would have been happier getting two good tents, one for winter and the other for warmer, gentler, climes.

You can get two quality tents for the price of one Hileburg.  I think you will find this option to be of greater utility than one super duty tent.   Sure Hileburgs have the reputation, but you may be better off getting a good four season tent, and a good light summer tent.  Sierra Designs, North Face, Mountain Hardware and other name brands all make good winter tents.  I have used all of these in the snow in the Sierras, and the NF in severe high altitude conditions.  I am less familiar with the current crop of UL summer tents, but several name brands put out a tent similar to the MSR Hubba, a tent I currently use and like for light traveling.

Given a reasonable level of workmanship and materials, storage method and sun exposure are the chief determinants of tent life.  The life span of a properly stored tent is measured in days pitched out in the open, albeit exposure to severe weather can age a tent real fast - or even destroy it.  That advise withstanding, provided you didn’t take an underrated tent into severe wind or snow fall.  Saying you want a tent that will last years is a no brainier if you only camp a couple of weeks a year in relatively benign conditions, and you store it in a dry, well ventilated, place.  OTH if you spend all of your free time in the wilds, most tents will last two maybe three seasons at most.

Ed

9:21 a.m. on June 26, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

PA Scouter, I actually have a question...

You state that your fallback option is the Copper Spur. Does this mean you currently own this tent or you have your eye on it, etc, etc...

I have the Copper Spur 1 and while I think it could handle a light snowload I wouldn't want to try.

That tent is just way too "drafty" for any type of cold conditions. Add a bit of blowing snow(spindrift) and it would make for a pretty rough trip.

Doable, but rough.

Ya know this is all about what you truly want. Yes, some will say go with a Hille; some will say there are alternatives.

In the end you are the one using it and you are the only one who truly knows what you are going to be subjecting the tent too.

Just remember, expect the unexpected and be prepared for it. Weather will do all kinds of fun things when you are not prepared for it and that is typically when you know what hits the fan...

When one isn't prepared.

Me personally, I would rather have too much tent than not enough.

I will say this. The material on my Copper Spur is nowhere near as strong as the Kerlon 1200 is on my Soulo.

I tried to tear a sample of the Kerlon 1000(used on their 3 season models.) Its pretty strong stuff. Have you received a copy of the 2012 Hilleberg catalog yet? If not they include fabric samples with the catalog as well as a sample of regular ripstop to compare the Kerlon too...

Here is where you can snag up a catalog if interested:

http://www.hilleberg.com/OrderCatalog.htm

9:10 p.m. on June 26, 2012 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
106 forum posts

Another option are exped tents, check out the Mira and the Gemini.

10:39 p.m. on June 26, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Well, if we are talking Euro tent alternatives here is a link for all kinds of options we were discussing awhile back:

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/gear-selection/topics/113055.html

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/gear-selection/topics/99384.html

11:04 a.m. on June 27, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
687 forum posts

Wow - are your parents adopting by chance?

Anyhoo, I am with VigilGuy: get the Anjan 2 out of that list.  The others are beyond stuffy in warmer weather and the mesh inner tent won't help because their flies go all the way to the ground.  With the Anjan, even if it is raining and the door is closed you get ventilation.  If your parents are paying, a Hilleberg is the way to go.

5:41 p.m. on August 14, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I just recently tested and reviewed the Anjan 2. Figured some here may find it interesting. 

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/hilleberg/anjan-2/#review25589

9:21 p.m. on August 14, 2012 (EDT)
195 reviewer rep
1,158 forum posts

Here's a factoid for the Hilleberg fanatics---My current warhorse Keron 3 now has 5 Tear-Aid(type A)patches on the kerlon fly due to small holes caused by god knows what.  Maybe insects chewing holes?   Abrasion?  Despite Kerlon 1800 being rip-proof it ain't hole proof so keep this in mind when expecting 10+ years of usage.  The 100 denier floor, meanwhile, is rugged and hole-free, otherwise the Tear Aid patches are holding well and I think my tent has another several years left in it.

Point is, even kerlon 1800 is super thin, hate to think what 1200 or less would be like.

10:11 p.m. on August 14, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Tipi Walter said:

Point is, even kerlon 1800 is super thin, hate to think what 1200 or less would be like.

Tipi, the 1200 on my Soulo is 30D and the 1000 is 20D. 

The 1800 is 40D.

7:20 a.m. on August 16, 2012 (EDT)
195 reviewer rep
1,158 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

Tipi Walter said:

Tipi, the 1200 on my Soulo is 30D and the 1000 is 20D. 

The 1800 is 40D.

Thanks for the info.  30 denier is paper thin, 40 is thin enough.  The floor is 100 denier, btw.

7:25 a.m. on August 16, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Yep the floors are as follows:

1800 outer 100D floor(triple coated) HH 7000mm

1200 outer 70D floor(triple coated) HH 5000mm

1000 outer 50D floor(double coated) HH 5000mm

Something kinda had me scratching my head on the 50D floor though. Although it is double coated and not triple coated like the 70 & 100D floors the 50D floor still has the same hydrostatic head rating(5000mm) as the 70D floor. 

Logic would make me think that the 70 would have a higher HH rating being they are triple coated but maybe Hille does something on the 50 that I am not aware of to achieve the same ratings?

Thoughts?  

9:56 a.m. on August 16, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
687 forum posts

The first silicone treatment likely adds the waterproofness, and additional coatings add strength.  

April 17, 2014
Quick Reply