About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Polycryo ground sheets?

8:45 p.m. on June 29, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,018 reviewer rep
1,208 forum posts

I need to replace the plastic sheet that I used as a ground cloth under my tent last year for maybe <20 nights.  There are some little punctures so I'd rather start with something new for my upcoming trip.

I ran across this:http://gossamergear.com/shelters/polycryo-ground-cloth-large.html

I haven't seen polycryo mentioned here before.  Anyone have any experience with it?  If the testimonials are correct it'll last a lot longer than a simple plastic sheet.

11:47 a.m. on July 3, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,917 forum posts

I use a 8x6 foot tarp under my tent, which doubles as a lightweight tent itself.

1:09 p.m. on July 3, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
250 forum posts

I have been using the stuff from GG for quite a few years now.  I've only replaced one sheet that got zapped by the sun too much and was doing the shrink wrap thing, then gets dry? and tears easily.  Great stuff, hard to fold up nice with any kind of a breeze.  I put a tiny piece of tape on one side so I know which side is dirtier than the other.:)  Unlike other gc's, slow to dry off since it is clear would be my guess.

Duane

3:39 p.m. on July 10, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

we've been using a tyvek groundsheet, and a tyvek tarp..
there a couple outfits online that will custom cut, grommet, and loop to your specifications..

3:54 p.m. on July 10, 2012 (EDT)
1,018 reviewer rep
1,208 forum posts

I have been using some plan (4mil???) plastic sheeting that came as packing material (ironically, it was with my tent).  But after a dozen or so nights last summer it's starting to show wear ... little punctures etc.

At $8 for 2 I ordered a set of the GG Polycryo sheets to check them out. Interestingly, they are sized almost just right for my tent so I won't even need to do much cutting.  

I'm undecided so far (haven't had a chance to check them out yet) but I'll post an update here once I have. 

4:18 p.m. on July 10, 2012 (EDT)
914 reviewer rep
83 forum posts

I use the Outdoor Products 5x7 tarp as my ground sheet - it weighs 8 oz. and only costs around $10.

Another option or alternative to Polycro is the Window Insulation Kit that you can pick up at your local hardware store.

11:44 p.m. on July 22, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
29 forum posts

I just ordered a couple of sheets of the polycryo myself...it's hard to argue with the weight (under 3oz). I'll also post an update after I put it to the test.

April 16, 2014
Quick Reply