Papers!

9:03 p.m. on July 2, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

Well hello everyone!

Now I usually bring a Kindle for reading, and while I have the ability to add notes and what not, I just prefer actual papers... I suppose this is kinda weird for someone under the age of 30! I will continue to bring the kindle because of its light weight which can easily be subtracted from the weight of my current novel, "Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers!"

The papers I like to carry are short stories for group meetings! Stuff to keep spirits high or have a nice moral to them, like the Lorax.. so if you gotta fun story to share don't hesitate to tell!

So any recommendations of how to carry full-size printing paper while keeping light?

Yall have a good one,

Mikey

11:44 p.m. on July 2, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

this is a question tailor made for Tipi Walter me thinks.

earl

3:57 a.m. on July 3, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Half my MBA reading was done on the trail.  Double side copy at a reduced size.

Ed

11:45 a.m. on July 3, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,151 forum posts

Ziploc bags keeps everything dry!

1:29 p.m. on July 3, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

whomeworry said:

Half my MBA reading was done on the trail.  Double side copy at a reduced size.

Ed

I think that'll have to happen with my new job!

GaryPalmer said:

Ziploc bags keeps everything dry!

I prefer to keep things flat and unwrinkled.. I've been raised by an OCD doctor and some things wear off, I've also got a pretty big things for germs! Maybe a really slim binder will do? as long as that'll fit in the big ziplocks!

I've seen items such as this:

http://www.fishpondusa.com/journal.cfm

but I don't know if its right... at that price! but especially because there aren't any pictures/descriptions of how its binded.

2:10 p.m. on July 3, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Get a tube and roll them up in it. Water proof the tube with duct tape (Myth Busters built a boat for 2 out of it)

Here's a suggestion for a story if you like Sci-Fi or stories with an ironic twist then this is for you. 

http://www.baenebooks.com/chapters/0743498860/0743498860___9.htm

3:00 a.m. on July 4, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

I copied it to word, and its very long! I will be reading it on my upcoming fly fishing trip, but probably solo just because I don't believe most people have the attention span and it may be awkward to read aloud to a single friend...
If I like it, I defiantly will ask my friend if he would like to read it after I do.

That really is a great idea with the tube! I'm almost done with a role at the casa(house) too. I'll keep it handy just in case I can't get a recommendation on a flat spiral/notepad/or whatever.

3:06 a.m. on July 4, 2012 (EDT)
120 reviewer rep
137 forum posts

Usually I just take a paperback from the library.  This last trip I brought my kindle.

10:26 a.m. on July 4, 2012 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,194 forum posts

Before a trip I load up my computer bookmarks with whatever looks interesting to read and copy out everything on lightweight typing paper in the printer---using both sides and numbered correctly.  So I end up with a total of 60 sheets of paper per roll and numbered pages to 120.  The main cost is printer ink and this is solved by ordering remanufactured ink online---MUCH CHEAPER than at Staples.

Here's a typical trip's allotment of rolled up reading material.  All will be burned in the first week of a trip.  Sure, it's heavy as hades but what the heck, I get my reading done on backpacking trips and not at home.  And these rolls do not include the hundreds of books I've taken out over the years.

TRIP-130-303.jpg

3:43 p.m. on July 4, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

My roommate works at Best Buy, so he gets me ink half off! Thank goodness!
But alright! looks like I'll be working with some paper towel rolls, maybe PVC screw caps if my load gets to be 60+ pages

12:17 p.m. on July 5, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
581 forum posts

You can buy onionskin paper by the roll on ebay. It is half the weight of bond paper. If your printer handles rolls, you can do the whole story in roll form; no pages to lose.

September 18, 2014
Quick Reply