Black Diamond Mercury 75 rain cover

12:23 p.m. on July 9, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

I can't seem to find a cover made just for the Mercury 75. Which leads me to the question. What is the best rain cover for this pack?

2:00 p.m. on July 11, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,702 reviewer rep
1,338 forum posts

try outdoor research or sea to summit.  generic, but the 'large' (not xl) would probably fit a backpack of that size.  for a messy but less expensive solution, a heavy-gauge plastic lawn bag might fit pretty well if you carve it up a little. 

2:17 p.m. on July 11, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I personally like my Osprey pack cover. It is rather "big" and fits my Argon 85 very well and provides enough extra space to also cover my sleeping pad. The cool thing about the Osprey is that there is elasticized cordage incorporated into the cover that can be adjusted via squeeze toggle.

There is also a snap that locks the cover around the backpanel to keep it very well secured. 

I am going to take a few pics so you get a better understanding of what I exactly mean here. 

Here ya go:

• It packs into its own built in pocket when not in use:

image.jpg

• Adjustment toggle with elasticized cordage to get the fit dialed in on your pack:

image.jpg

• The snap closure to secure the cover to the pack(it usually resides around the center of the backpanel but I just fired it on quick so you could get an idea of what I am referring too:)

image.jpg

• The cover actually on the pack:

image.jpg

Over-all, I am happy with the cover. It does what it is supposed to do.

Just for a reference this is a large cover on an 85L pack.. 

11:37 a.m. on July 20, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Thanks Rick. I just received the Osprey cover and tried it out. Looks great and fits quite nice. The adjustability is the best part. This is just what I was looking for.

3:17 p.m. on July 20, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Glad to hear it worked out well for ya. It's a nice cover. 

Happy hiking. 

December 22, 2014
Quick Reply