About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Arc'teryx or Exped?

5:58 a.m. on July 13, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Hi guys,

I have a backpack choice to make. I'm looking for the ideal daypack/everyday backpack. For the many backpacks I tested there's only two left:

Arc'teryx Axios 25: sits perfectly and very comfortably. However I wonder how durable the back panel and the bottom of the pack really are. I'm allergic to some materials in water bladders and transport two big water bottles on hikes. Otherwise, the rest of my gear is really light weight. Will the material be strong enough for this? Also how easily will the 'plastic' back panel break? (btw, the specs here and on the arc'teryx website seem to be different)

or Exped Mountain Pro 20. Here the problem is that I only tried the Pro 30 and found it to be very comfortable, but too big for me. I'd need to order the Pro 20 from abroad and have no clue if it's big enough, and especially with respect to the bottom which seems to be smaller than the opening. Any idea about the measurements?

I know both packs are completely different, but it seems like I'm a picky customer, and after many tries only those two were actually left.

Cheers,

Lili

8:51 a.m. on July 13, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
778 reviewer rep
472 forum posts

Found some varied reviews on this website: http://www.altrec.com/arcteryx/axios-25-daypack#reviewSummary2

I don't have any Arc'teryx gear but I have heard good things about their products. One of the reviewers complained about the frame on this pack.

12:25 p.m. on July 13, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
687 forum posts

Not that long ago, Arcteryx packs were made in Canada and were built to superb standards.  I was recently at MEC and checked out the latest Arcteryx offering and was quite dissapointed.  For the $$, I truly believe the quality and choice in materials has gone down.  Sad.

The better questions would be:

-how much do you want to spend?

-what do you plan to haul?

-what load do you plan to haul?

-how light do you want to be?

5:24 a.m. on July 14, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Good questions. I think both packs are perfect when it comes to fit and size. I read the reviews as well and don't care much about the money as long as I finally get a pack that sits well (and I've tried many by now).

I've been thinking about the Axios pack. My biggest niggle is actually the plastic frame as it's somewhat squeaky and just a bit too unflexible. I wonder if you can remove it and replace it with a hard foam thing. Other packs I tried only had a hardfoam frame as well and the support from it was still sufficient for the rather small loads I'm carrying. The frame sits in a pouch and might just about come out despite its diamond shape.

6:10 p.m. on July 14, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
973 reviewer rep
570 forum posts

If the only reason the you havnt bought the arcteryx pack is concerns over durability then I wouldn't worry, just go buy it. Arcteryx backs their products fully and the warentee is pretty air tight, I can vouch for that. They are no longer producing FAR superior packs as they once were, (when they were still made in Canada), but they are still a quality pack.

5:11 p.m. on July 15, 2012 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
106 forum posts

Have you taken a look at the Golite Rush 20L? Seems more ergonomic than the Axios, the water bottle pockets seem bigger (the Exeped doesn't even have external water bottle pockets, but that's the only item you even described you will carry for sure, why go for one that can't carry it externaly?), also seems more user friendly for a daypack.  I don't own neither of the packs you mentioned, and I don't own the Rush either (I do own a Jam, which doubles as a daypack for me), but you say you will be carrying lightweight daypack stuff which I'm assuming will be small in volume if the 30L was too big then  a 20L with two big water bottle pockets, hipbelt pockets, main compartment and smaller lower compartment makes alot of sence to me. Food, water, first aid and navigation are the standards for daypack travel, do you carry anything besides that that needs to be accommodated  in a special manner? Either way, fit is the key, Golite is cheaper than your other options and you can return stuff to them for full refund as long as you pay for return shipping in case it doesn't feel right, dunno how it will work ordering stuff from abroad, I would make sure to hit every local sports store and try all their day packs before venturing into overseas online purchases.

9:30 a.m. on July 16, 2012 (EDT)
486 reviewer rep
1,356 forum posts

My bro has used his arc'teryx day pack for over 10 years now and just bought a new pack this last week. But as noted above, the materials/quality may have changed in teh time since. But for what it is worth, he loved it and will still use it.

6:07 a.m. on July 17, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

I now finally decided to go for the Arc'teryx pack. I've tried many before, including probably each from each sports/outdoor shop in town and none was really comfortable on my shoulders. But lets be honest, the selection in shops here in this country is very limited in general.

Some people complained about the thin shoulder straps, but for me they are perfect while thicker wider straps are too much for my girly shoulders. The storage size is good as well as I can store all the things I usually carry without problems, even with two bottles of water inside the main compartment. It's an expensive pack, but it's probably the right one for me. Lets just see what the long-term durability is.

3:17 p.m. on July 17, 2012 (EDT)
1,347 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Looking for 'the perfect daypack pack' may be difficult. Like the 'perfect 100% waterproof/100% breathable jacket' or the 'perfect all-purpose tent'.

You mention 'the shops in this country' - where are you living? Many companies ship abroad, but they will also have foreign distributors.

April 17, 2014
Quick Reply