About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Please Explain

11:40 p.m. on July 31, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

This pot set sold for around $50 new. They are now discontiuned. It is currently over $300 and being bid up by a number of very high feedback count bidders. I think the lowest feedback I saw was close to 20,000 and at least one over 100,000. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-MSR-Guide-Mess-Kit-For-Camping-Or-Survival-/170885406974?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c99060fe

11:41 p.m. on July 31, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

MSR BlackLite Guide Non-Stick Aluminum Cookset

11:44 p.m. on July 31, 2012 (EDT)
486 reviewer rep
1,356 forum posts

Seems people want it bad enough to pay a lot because they like it. Simply supply and demand.

12:01 a.m. on August 1, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
973 reviewer rep
570 forum posts

Weird. Maybe one of the stove experts here would know?....

12:56 a.m. on August 1, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

Did a little looking.  It appears to be a very good set of pots.  It's still on backcountry's site http://www.backcountry.com/msr-blacklite-guide-set and on moosejaw's also http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_MSR-BlackLite-Guide-Cook-Set_10010064_10208_10000001_-1_

Don't know that they're worth $300+ except to a collector.

11:21 a.m. on August 1, 2012 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

I am a bit leery of the nonstick coatings. They where not tested by the FDA on release. They also are toxic and come off with normal use.

11:29 a.m. on August 1, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

I can't imagine paying $300 or more for it, but the Blacklite cookware was awesome. But they have discontinued it, and now it appears the replacement (duralite) for some insane reason. My only guess is that it has to do with forcing people to buy new product, and making things more specifically proprietary. The prior type of pot handler worked on ANY pot, pan, mug, or even metal bottle. Not so with the new handles, which can only be used on the companion pots. So, in a few years, hey can "Improve" and re-engineer the handle. This means when one of your old pots wears out, you can't just buy what you need, but have to "upgrade" to a whole new system. 

11:56 a.m. on August 1, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
64 forum posts

A few things I've listed on EBAY have generated responses from Japan,Malaysia,Taiwan,etc. mostly if I am willing to ship to their respective countries.Vintage Coleman stoves and lanterns,Svea and Optimus classic stoves,vintage backpacks of asst. brands.MSR might be sought after simply because of its lack of availability over there.Can't see any other reason for paying more than six times the retail value.

12:53 p.m. on August 2, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,264 reviewer rep
1,247 forum posts

that's an outlandish amount of money to pay for something that is going to get harsh treatment, assuming you actually use it for backpacking and trips.  your pots and pans are going to get beaten up and mistreated - it is a certainty.  they might very well get lost, too - things have a funny way of disappearing. we're talking about a couple of aluminum pots, for pete's sake.  for what it's worth, northern lights trading company still appears to have a few sets of these pots for $100; and, you can find good quality anodized aluminum/nonstick pots for half that price. 

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply