Modifying backpack hip belt?

2:09 a.m. on August 16, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
51 forum posts

Hi everybody - 

I recently scored a good deal on a REI Flash 50 pack.  Fits me great in the torso but the hip belt is slightly too large for my waist even when tightened all the way down. 

Is there any easy way (besides eating a lot of fried foods!) to make the hip belt fit?  I'm thinking of adding padding or something...

Thanks -

7:00 a.m. on August 16, 2012 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,192 forum posts

18478710344f81ea5ca6862.jpg

Here's a fotog I pulled off the interweb.  It doesn't look like belts are interchangeable but you could design a work-around.

**  Remove the buckle webbing attachment points and re-sew them further back to the outside of the belt.  This won't be easy and you may need a shoe repair sewing machine to do the job.

**  If the rounded ends of the hipbelt overlap after re-sewing you could cut them off to allow for the tighter fit.

By relocating the buckle webbing several inches back on both sides (or maybe needed just on one side) you'll get a tight fit. I'm sure you have them maxed out on both sides now but if not pull the buckle ends flush to their cinch ends.

OR you could just wear a bulky fleece jacket and get a tighter fit.  Hot in the summer though.

11:20 a.m. on August 16, 2012 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,128 forum posts

Cut some ensolite to fit the inside of the waist belt and use contact cement to hold it there.

11:33 a.m. on August 16, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Upholstery/canvas/camping gear repair place

12:33 p.m. on August 16, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
813 reviewer rep
511 forum posts

Rainy Pass could do it.

1:35 p.m. on August 16, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

rob5073 said:

Rainy Pass could do it.

I agree with rob on this one. Unless you know what you are doing and have the proper tools to do the mod you may end up causing yourself more grief than anything. 

If you are interested in getting in touch with Rainy Pass you can drop them a line here.

7:27 p.m. on August 16, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,291 forum posts

the next smaller size of the flash definitely doesn't fit your torso? 

4:53 a.m. on October 22, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
51 forum posts

Hey thanks for all the advice and sorry for taking so long to reply.  Lots going on here and I got majorly sidetracked away from this project!

Unfortunately, the smaller size of this pack isn't available any more so that's not an option.  I think when I revisit this at some point down the road when I have time, I may go the rainy pass route.  In the meantime, just wanted to thank everyone for the help - 

:)

August 27, 2014
Quick Reply