Looking for tarp for sun/rain protection.

2:47 p.m. on August 18, 2012 (EDT)
299 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

I would like some input about getting a tarp or rainfly for covering my hammock during my hikes.  This is what is going to be used for, mostly day hikes and maybe 2 or 3 overnighters during the spring to fall time in SoCal.  I would like protection from heavy rains, and to block the sun if needed.  I like the hex/cat-cut or rectangle but not sure which way to go.  I have look at eno, hennessy and msr-e wing.  I would like to keep the weight below 32 oz for the tarp, I am not a ultralight person, I would call myself moderate to extreme day hiker that when I stop to rest, I want comfort.  I carry backpack and I try to keep the weight around 20 to 25 pounds.  

Thanks for any input.

Mike

8:25 p.m. on August 18, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,317 forum posts

I use and strongly recommend Warbonnet Outdoors, they are a small cottage industry out of CO. I have the Superfly and could not be happier. There are quite a few sizes to choose from with tarps, and honestly it really comes down to personal preference because even the super small minimalist style tarps will do fine in heavy rain if rigged well. Brandon has pictures of them all on his site as well so you can better visualize the coverage. My superfly is like a palace now when compared to my tents in regards to protected and useable space. There are many other tarp manufacturers, Warbonnet is just my personal favorite.

I forgot to say that these are designed with hammock use as the primary use but can be rigged in normal ground tarp configs as well.

11:15 p.m. on August 18, 2012 (EDT)
299 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

Thanks for the info, I will check them out. 

12:24 p.m. on August 19, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I 2nd the warbonnet. The Super Fly is awsome in all respects. They also have a nice camo model if that's your thing. That's what I purchased. I have yet to get wet from blowing rain. They were on sale recently and  may still be

6:34 p.m. on August 19, 2012 (EDT)
299 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

I did email today and I would agree the Super Fly looks great, I think I will go that way, I will get the one color model.  The weight of the tarp is very light, 19 oz with stuff sack.  The other plus is made in Colorado.

10:28 p.m. on August 19, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Consider a "BA" footprint.

8:47 a.m. on August 20, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,317 forum posts

I think you will be very happy with the Superfly. I use mine with my blackbird hammock also from Warbonnet , and it gives me a crazy amount of protected space, especially in porch mode. The doors are nice for when the rain/snowis really blowing. I use mine year round and have put mine through its paces in torrential downpours and heavy blowing snow.

I rig mine with s-biners for the doors and the biner style figure 9s which make for a quick no knot setup.

October 26, 2014
Quick Reply