Copper Spur UL1 set up question (paging Rick Pittsburgh!)

4:53 p.m. on August 21, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

I just got my Copper Spur today!  It was easy to set up in my office but I have a question about the little cross bar on top.  One end of the crossbar went into the little pocket on the fly easily but I couldn't get the other end into the other pocket.  I felt like I was stretching the fly material too much.  Does that seem right to those of you who have a Copper Spur?

I like the tent, it is a little smaller than my Contrail  but I like that it is pretty much free standing.  The pegs are a higher quality than I was expecting and I'll save a little weight by not using the bag that either the poles or the pegs came in.  I probably don't even need the bag that the tent came in since I'm going to roll the tent and my Neo Air up in my groundsheet and strap it to the back of my pack anyway.  I can also see the fast fly set up being usefull.

6:01 p.m. on August 21, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Tee hee, I was paged...

When you set the tent up make sure the spanner pole is seated correctly as seen in the photo below:

Big-Agnes-Copper-Spur-UL-1-001.jpg

The longer portion of pole(divided by the black "o" ring should be on the entrance side of the tent.)

This is what you should see under the fly when the tent is set up properly:

Entrance side:

(inner connecting point to pole:)
clips-002.jpg

(fly attached to end of pole:)

Big-Agnes-Copper-Spur-UL-1-020.jpg

View under fly opposite side of entry:

(both inner and fly attach at this point:)
Big-Agnes-Copper-Spur-UL-1-019.jpg

When this tent is setup properly it is fairly taut. 

I am wondering, did they 86 the clips and go with fabric "pockets" as you make reference to in your initial post? 

If this is the case look at the top(ridge) pole. You will notice that the black "o" ring is off center and not set in the middle of the actual pole. 

When you set the pole on the structure you want the longer section of pole to be above the entrance area of the shelter.

This creates the vestibule area as well as the overhang(dry entry) area of the shelter. 

7:02 p.m. on August 21, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

Thanks for the reply!  I won't be able to set the tent up again since I have to go back into work tonight but I bet I had the cross pole set up wrong.

7:22 p.m. on August 21, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

No problem Don. Take the time to familiarize yourself with the tent. You will find after setting it up a few times it is actually quite easy.

I always set a tent up when I first get it and I spend alot of time looking the tent over getting dialed in on small intricate details(my wife refers to it as ocd :)

Anywho, if ya have any further questions, etc by all means feel free to fire away.

November 29, 2014
Quick Reply