I Need A Summer Sleeping Bag!

5:13 a.m. on July 10, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

My fleece bag that is supposed to be for summer is just to hot at times. I like having some kind of cover over me. Let me rephrase that. I have to have cover on me. And I am thinking that perhaps I could make one since I sew, but what type of material? Synthetic or natural fibers? Of course it must be lightweight - under 2 lbs. if possible. I have poured over all the catalogs and have not seen a really lightweight bag that is designated for summer.
Can anyone offer a suggestion?

Hikergirl

6:06 a.m. on July 10, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Suzie, Suzie WIlson

I purchased a lightweight down sleeping bag. It weighs less than a half pound, and compresses into a roll about 3 inches by 7 inches. I can fit it in my purse!

Quote:

My fleece bag that is supposed to be for summer is just to hot at times. I like having some kind of cover over me. Let me rephrase that. I have to have cover on me. And I am thinking that perhaps I could make one since I sew, but what type of material? Synthetic or natural fibers? Of course it must be lightweight - under 2 lbs. if possible. I have poured over all the catalogs and have not seen a really lightweight bag that is designated for summer.
Can anyone offer a suggestion?

Hikergirl

6:34 a.m. on July 10, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Sascha Bosetzky

Why don't you try out silk? It is very lightweight and somehow cooling and at the same time warming. You could make a seperat silk lining for your sleepingbag and use it alone when the temps get too high. One can get really fine silk, which is not very robust, but also the rather thick and strong ahimsa-silk, just as you like. Silk also has the great advantage, that it is very friendly to the skin and doesn't start to smell, even after many days of use. It could also add unknown luxury to your hiking experience.
yours Sascha

7:23 a.m. on July 10, 2001 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
Why?

Why do you need a sleeping bag? Why not just a sheet and a light weight blanket - that you probably already own.

Do you notice I am always trying to save you money by suggesting making stuff out of things you already have!?

9:09 a.m. on July 10, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. G.L., Greased Lightning, Irv

What temperature range is this 1/2 lb bag rated for? Who makes it?

5:17 p.m. on July 10, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

SEAtoSUMMIT makes sleeping bags liners in fleece / silk / or cotton that can be used on their own during summer or in tropical climates (or as a clean liner when sleeping a refuge where you cant guarantee covers are 100 % clean ...).
Anyway they are made in Australia and sold here in the UK, maybe you can find them in the US.

5:34 a.m. on July 12, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Suzie, Suzie WIlson

Quote:

What temperature range is this 1/2 lb bag rated for? Who makes it?

I don't know what the advertized temperature range is, but for me, I start getting cold at around 55 degrees. The label on it says "Qualitats Daune". It may have been sold as an overbag, but in warm weather I use it alone.

8:13 p.m. on July 13, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Kelty Lightyear 45

Hey

I love this bag. It's about a pound and five, packs down to the size of a Nerf football and has a really cool footbox zipper for added ventilation.

If you use the bag down aroung the 45 degree mark, wear socks-- the foot zip is a little drafty. Either that or just eliminate the zip altogether by removing it and sewing the hole up.

N'E

October 1, 2014
Quick Reply