Another pants question

11:39 a.m. on September 7, 2012 (EDT)
50 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

Hi All, I’ve currently got a pair of either the MH Mesa or Pack Pant zip off pants, but they’re too big so looking to get a pair that fit better. I’d also like to get a pair that are thicker/warmer, as the Mesa are very thin.

I really want to keep the zip-off functionality of the Mesa just with more warmth. Anybody have any recommendations? Thanks, J

12:32 p.m. on September 7, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hey ja l a how are ya?

from my experience most "convertible" pants are made from thinner material. 

I owned a pair of Mountain Khakis awhile back(forgot the name and model) but they seemed a little on the thicker end of the spectrum compared to say my TNF Horizon Peak convertibles.

I just looked the newer offering from them and the Granite Creeks are 6.3oz  brushed nylon. 

Might be worth a looksy. 

As far as fit I honestly can't get ya dialed in on that one. We are all shaped differently. 

I am kinda heading towards looking like The Penguin from Batman(Danny DeVito version.)

image.jpg

(photo courtesy of 1989 Warner Brothers, Guber-Peters Entertainment Company, and PolyGram Filmed Entertainment.)

Anywho, I would personally suggest trying out a base layer in combo with the lighter weight pants. This may be the ticket for ya so you don't have to spend the coin on another pair of pants(unless the fit is really that bad for ya.)

I have even gone as far as wearing winter weight runners tights(wind resistant) under mine, works great in the fall:

DSCI1273.jpg

8:06 p.m. on September 7, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
836 forum posts

most of the zip off pants are lightweight nylon, for quik drying. I have expedition weight polypropalene long underwear that I wear when it gets cold. maybe you need to find that perfect underwear/outerwear combo that works for you. good luck! 

7:32 p.m. on September 9, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,071 forum posts

I wear traditional pajama bottoms for extra warmth. They are lighweight and double as sleepwear for colder nights too.

2:55 p.m. on September 12, 2012 (EDT)
50 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

Thanks all for the input. Agreed, some layering is needed in the colder seasons. I ended up going for a pair of TNF Paramount Peaks. They're a little heavier, but the fit is really good:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/the-north-face/paramount-peak-convertible-pant/

Now time to give them a test run.

J.

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply