Looking for a new Backpacking headlamp.

4:36 p.m. on September 7, 2012 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

I know this subject has been brought up before.But I would like to replace my headlamp with an LED.Starting to look towards the Black  Diamond Spot. Do you have any suggestions or reccomendations? Looking for any good headlamps for bacpacking...

4:53 p.m. on September 7, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Denis, what are you looking to spend?

That will be a big factor on what will be available to ya. I actually use a 50 lumen Petzl Tikka Plus 2. This is my go to lamp for 3 season use. I don't have a need for a diffuser like on the XP.

I just purchased a Myo RXP 2 for my winter trips. Haven't used it(it is still in the packaging) so can't give ya much on that one other than it looks pretty nice.

The BD Icon looks pretty solid.

If you are going to get a new headlamp make sure it will run lithiums. Some don't and for cold weather performance you will be much happier with lithiums than compared to standard alkalines(better performance.)

4:59 p.m. on September 7, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

Get a lamp tha uses cree LEDs.  Cree LEDs torches are very bright, often more than 200 lumins.  The problem with low wattage LEDs is the light tends to be flat, making it hard to see terrain countours underfoot, which is especially a nusance when off trail.  Hence I would suggest going with BD's Icon headlamp, or simular rated products.  If the Icon's price seems steep this lamp is much more affordable, at less than $20, albeit less rugged.

Ed

6:19 p.m. on September 7, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
813 reviewer rep
511 forum posts

I have the BD Icon and it is a very good lamp. It has a focused beam an a wide angle beam for a floodlight effect. I've used the focused beam for hiking at night.

8:12 p.m. on September 7, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

still have my zipka. still works, puts out alot of light, good for night hiking. I like to keep it simple with that stuff. I hear the BD icon is a good light, albeit a little pricey. I'll keep my zipka.

8:42 p.m. on September 7, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,308 forum posts

I have the black diamond spot, and I absolutely love it. Best headlamp on the market for the price IMO. It is my go to headlamp.

5:18 p.m. on September 9, 2012 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

My cost cut off is 60 bucks Rick... Thanks everybody for giving me options and whats working for you. Plan to see 3 outfitters tommorow to get ready for winter backpacking.

August 28, 2014
Quick Reply