Bad Luck Gear

12:57 p.m. on September 11, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,426 reviewer rep
1,233 forum posts

I am not superstitious and I find these things kinda funny.  Recently encountered this phenomenon associated with hiking gear.  Here's the story:

The in-laws had a daughter who dated a guy who was "really outdoorsy."  When he tragically passed I kinda "inherited" (long story) a lot of his used gear; ice axes, sleeping bags/pads, climbing gear, etc.  Some of it is really quality stuff, some...not as much. 

Anyway someone asked me if I was really going to climb on a dead guy's gear.  I paused.  I thought that if he had known his stuff was going to be put to good use after he was done with it he might have been pleased.  I think of it more as honoring.

Anyway here is the question: do you avoid some gear you have because you associate it with some past bad event or epic?  Not because it was the fault of the gear but just by association with the past epic.  Just wondering.

4:59 p.m. on September 11, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

I can't afford to avoid using gear - I don't have that many extras - but I don't think I would. don't believe in bad juju.

8:07 a.m. on September 12, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,292 forum posts

i discarded a very nice and perfectly functional zero degree down sleeping bag years ago.  My brother borrowed it for a trek in Nepal.  He was descending a steep trail when he speared his shin badly on a piece of cut bamboo.  Because he was disabled and was having trouble getting the wound to stop bleeding, Sherpas  placed him in the sleeping bag and carried him in a basket to a flat spot where he could get taken out by helicopter.  He came dangerously close to losing his leg from the ensuing infection when doctors in a Katmandu clinic missed a thumb-sized piece of bamboo that had broken off inside his leg.  

Remarkably, he returned to the US with the bag.  I probably would have trashed it.  Though I laundered it and managed to get the stains out, I could never bring myself to use it again.  

9:27 a.m. on September 12, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
813 reviewer rep
532 forum posts

My only question to myself would be if the person died as a result of that particular piece of gear failing.

12:01 p.m. on September 12, 2012 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,162 forum posts

Yes.  I have avoided some gear in the past due to "associations."  Mostly I have relished the use of many types of gear because of strong positive associations, especially those handed down from relatives or given to me as giifts.

September 19, 2014
Quick Reply