LifeStraw Water Filter

5:22 p.m. on September 25, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Has anyone heard of the LifeStraw water filtration device? I saw one and it looks like a cool invention. It weighs practically nothing and says that it will filter over 250 gallons of water. Was thinking about getting one. They are cheap. I found it cheap here along with other good stuff. Let me know what you think about the LifeStraw. Thanks.

PrepareNOWOutfitters.com

9:43 p.m. on September 25, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,317 forum posts

Gonna start this out, by posting specs for the Lifestraw from their homepage.

• 280mL/min at the beginning
  • 280mL/min between 10 and 200L
  • 250mL/min between 200 and 500L
  • 170mL/min between 500 and 1000L
  • 200 mL/min overall between 0 and 1000L

LifeStraw® effectively removes minimum 99.99999% of waterborne bacteria and removes minimum 99.9% of waterborne protozoan parasites.

http://www.vestergaard-frandsen.com/external/lifestraw-functioning-and-efficacy-report.pdf

I can't copy it from their pdf, but the specs are this is a .2 micron filter.

I have seen these first hand overseas while in the military.

Ok so here is the down and dirty of this. Yes this filter is cheap, yes it has a decent 'life span' for the price. The major downside is the contruction quality, its fairly cheaply made and prone to failures.The main failures occur when trying to filter actually dirty water, not just 'turbid' water. It can be backflushed by blowing in it to 'clean' it, but if you suck up a bunch of gunk the filter can fail completely. So you basically have to prefilter everything anyways. They also have problems with the membranes failing interally and you never know it failed so your drinking contaminated water. That's why it is only 19.99. Now, the other down side is the flow rate. Brand new it is only 280ml a min!!! Do you know how bad of a down side that is? You will be sucking at the water source FOREVER to satisify your thirst lol. Just for comparison sake, my MSR miniworks is also .2 microns and has a flow rate of 1L/min with a clean filter and the operator not being lazy with the pumping rate. With a somewhat dirty filter it drops to about .5L a min. So even with a dirty filter the flow rate is almost double.

Ok. So is the Lifestraw better than nothing? Absolutely. Should you buy it as your primary backpacking water filter? Absolutely not. Would it be a good item to have in a day hike pack as an emergency item? Yes

But in my opinion you would be MUCH better off saving up just a little more and buying a good water filter, there are many types, and they can start as low as about 30-40$. Get a REI coupon etc and you can get 20% off.

Not trying to slam or bad mouth the product in any way. It is just made for a specific purpose. And that purpose is a cheaply produced filter to supply to 3rd world countries and disaster areas.

Hope this helps some.

1:58 a.m. on September 26, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
812 reviewer rep
551 forum posts

Check out the Aquamira Frontier Pro. It only filters 50 gal but it is a higher quality product.

3:10 p.m. on September 26, 2012 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

I picked up the Aquamira frontier for my day bag also. I had ebay bucks that were about to expire. It has good reviews on amazon.

2:13 p.m. on September 29, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Does it filter the alcohol out of beer ?

October 21, 2014
Quick Reply