2 forum posts
I purchased a Marmot Cloudlight jacket a number of years ago. The jacket has served my needs well, until the laminate began to peel off. Marmot was unable to repair the product, but stood by their warranty and gave me $275 of store credit to purchase a replacement. I am seeking advice on what jacket I should purchase.
I am looking for a technical shell only, no insulation. I typically will layer a fleece or down jacket underneath as necessary. I use the jacket for ice fishing, boat fishing, snow sports (minor need, not special features needed), and backpacking. Primary concern is durability and level of waterproofness. It could be in the rain and snow for hours during fishing trips. Secondary is weight. I do backpack fairly lightweight, however, I could always purchase a low-cost (Precip?) solution if needed. Tertiary, is level of breathability. Typically I am not very active in my shell.
I am willing to supplement the $275 credit up to $50 if necessary. Obliviously since this is Marmot credit, all other brands are out.
Here are the jackets I am interested in so far.
- Concern: Uses 2 layer MemBrain. How good is it?
- Concern: A little heavy at 2 lbs.
- Positive: Very similar features to my CloudLight. A newer version of the same?
- Postive: GORE-TEX.
- Concern: It is GORE-TEX Paclite. How is the waterproofness of this?
- Positive: Light-weight
- Positive: $200
- Negative: Low on features. Only a single pocket. Not a deal breaker.
- Positive: Good reviews.
- Concern. Uses 2.5 layer MemBrain Strata. How good is it?
- Positive: Medium-weight
- Positive: $160
- Positive: Good reviews, award-winning.
- Positive: Has good pockets.
- Question: Difference between Conness and Aegis. Over $100 dollar difference.
What are your thoughts, recommendations? Have I overlooked a good choice in this line up? I am particularly interested in experience with Marmot MemBrian , Marmot MemBrain Strata, and GORE-TEX Paclite.
An alternative is to get a low-cast jacket (Precip) and use the credit for something else. Although PreCip gets high reviews (and some very low reviews), I feel those reviews on based on the value of the jacket, not the ultimate performance (i.e. good performance for cost, but not great performance overall). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.