Nemo Alti Storm 2P vs Hilleberg Allak/Staika

1:31 a.m. on October 22, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Hi all:

I'm trying to decide between these tents for winter backpacking and have been doing a lot of reading on this site regarding the Hilleberg tents.  However, the Alti Storm is fairly new so there doesn't seem to be a lot of reviews on it yet.

I like how the Hillebergs pitch...I can see how in bad weather this would be pretty cool.  Since the Alti Storm's inner tent does not have much mesh, I'm wondering how wet it would get on the inside if I were to pitch it in the rain..I think the inner tent is 40D nylon.

Regarding weight, the Alti Storm's minimum is heavy...7lb 13 oz.  However, it is 103 inches long, vs 91 for both the Allak and Staika, so it's longer (and heavier)  than both the Allak and the Staika. I think I remember reading that Nemo designed the storm models extra long to avoid the wet sleeping bag foot phenomenon and to provide some extra storage space.

I remember Tipi Walter stating that because the walls angle inward on the Staika, the 91 inches is functionally shorter if you have a high loft bag and a large sleeping pad, and that his head and feet touched the end of the tent when he used his exped downmat 9 and high loft sleeping bag.  Tipi Walter, is your downmat 9 the long wide 26x77 inch model?  I have a Downmat UL7 LW, so if yours is shorter, I might have a problem in the Hilleberg.

I'm trying to decide if the extra length is worth the extra weight...it seems like a pretty bombproof 4 season tent, but it is heavy...but it's also on sale now at Campsaver for $375, vs $835 for the Allak and $810 for the Staika...

I'll spring for the Hilleberg's if I decide they are the right tent for me, but that's what I'm trying to decide.  Help!!

\

9:43 a.m. on October 22, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
827 reviewer rep
589 forum posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb-qUIXucls&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I found this on YouTube regarding the Alti. Not so much a review but more of a "walk thru" of the tent features. Nice tent. I can't comment on the two Hillebergs mentioned. I own the Soulo and a Kaitum but I like the Hillebergs in general.

4:15 p.m. on October 22, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Thanks Rob for the link.  

I notice that you have a Soulo...do you think a 26x77 pad would fit in that tent with a winter sleeping bag?

8:25 p.m. on October 22, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

rpir, welcome to Trailspace.

I own the Soulo as well. I reviewed the tent here at TS.

Here is a link to the review:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/hilleberg/soulo/#review25287

I Hope the review helps to answer any questions you may have in regards to this model.

Happy hiking.

10:55 p.m. on October 22, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Wow, Rick, that was an excellent review.  Thanks!  

12:26 a.m. on October 23, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
827 reviewer rep
589 forum posts

The pad will fit amd yes, your bag will touch, probably head and feet. I've used my 6ft Exped Synmat and while the pad fit, my bag touched the walls. There was very minor, if any, condensation.

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply