Cold stitch in down jacket

6:31 p.m. on October 28, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

Hello All,

I'm choosing down jacket from (I know that some of MB jacket a UL and Stoic too):

1) Golite Bitterroot

2) Rab Microlight

3) Montbell: UL Down Parka,  Frost Smoke Parka, Alpine light down parka

4) Stoic Hudson jacket

I want to ask 2 question:

1) Which products are using cold stitches (I know that Golite uses)?

2) Can it be the issue to have cold stitches in front/back of jacket? I'm going to use jacket not only for backpacking but in the city too.

thanks

ps. I want to buy Bitterroot but I want to make sure that cold stitches will not make a difference and all will be fine with this jacket.

pps. Per my discussion with Golite consultant this jacket have cold stitches only on the back.

11:48 a.m. on October 29, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,486 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Please help my ignorance.  What is Cold Stiching?

1:41 p.m. on October 29, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

"Cold stitches" stitches that go thru fabric: top and bottom plus insulation which lies between fabrics. They are cold because needle creates a small holes piercing fabrics and insulation  (sometimes you can even see the bright light over these holes).

ps. sorry for my english

2:24 p.m. on October 30, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,486 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Ok, I get it, thanks for the explanation.  I think most lightweight down jackets are made this way since it cuts down on weight.  I couldn't say which jackets don't sew this way though. 

4:30 p.m. on October 30, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

I think most jackets are made this way not only to cut weight, but to cut cost. my parka is an LL Bean and is not cold stitched, but it is old. I think they are cold stitching now.

7:07 a.m. on November 1, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

FromSagetoSnowTrailjester if you own parka/jackets with cold stitches could you please say are they comfortable on winter wind? Do you need to take on hardshell in addition to protect from you from wind?

I didn't use such jacket previously and I'm quite in doubt if they are fine. In ex-USSR most down jackets do not have cold stitches (may be only Sivera use it).

thanks!

2:37 p.m. on November 1, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

I usually use a light down jacket (with cold stitching) but cover it with a wind shell so thinner spots aren't a problem.

My down parka, though, is so warm that I don't even worry about it.

7:52 p.m. on November 1, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

I would think that cold stitching would let the wind through, but I don't know since my jacket is not cold stitched... 

8:04 p.m. on November 1, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,295 forum posts

i think it depends on the weather you expect to see - how much wind, how cold do you expect it to get?

i would be willing to bet that all of these jackets are stitch-through construction - 'cold stitched,' as you say.  i agree with what Sage said - almost every down jacket of this weight is made that way.

warmer/heavier down jackets, in contrast, often have a baffled construction, so there are separate pieces of fabric sewn or welded between the inner and outer layer.  baffles allow down to loft more than a stitch-through construction, and they help eliminate wind coming through the seams.  my heavier down parka has kept me warm at -30f; it not only has baffles, but also has a wind-blocking waterproof/breathable outer shell. 

if you expect a lot of wind or really cold temperatures, get a heavier jacket than any of the ones you listed.  jackets of the weight you are considering are probably comfortable down to 20-30 degrees, depending on what other layers you wear.  for the most part, a light down jacket will stop wind pretty well for many purposes; for high winds, you would either want a baffled jacket or to wear a wind shell over one of these lighter ones.  also, pay attention to the quality of the down fill and the amount of fill. 

8:14 p.m. on November 1, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,247 reviewer rep
610 forum posts

What are the temps/intended uses you are looking to use these jackets in? A 'lighter' down jacket such as these will obviously not keep you as warm as a baffled down jacket. Also the temp range for those jackets listed wouldn't be much below -10c in my opinion. That is important because around those temps you are still going to get wet snow, hence needing a shell anyway to keep the down dry.

9:48 a.m. on November 3, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

Thanks of all you. It seems I'm ready to make a choice.

2:27 p.m. on November 5, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,761 reviewer rep
351 forum posts

I have the Montbell Alpine Light down jacket (not parka) and it is the warmest down jacket that I have ever worn. It instantly heats up as soon as you put it on, blocks wind, and is incredibly lightweight. I would imagine that the parka would be even better. I definitely recommend it! Montbell also has great customer service!

4:14 p.m. on November 6, 2012 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,079 forum posts

Hi, rvn,

I just wanted to add, in case you hadn't seen them, that some of those jackets also have user reviews on Trailspace:

Ashleigh, you should consider writing a review of your MontBell Alpine Light Down Jacket. It would be great to add one of the women's version.

10:01 a.m. on November 7, 2012 (EST)
2,761 reviewer rep
351 forum posts

Alicia, I will do that when I have a chance. It definitely deserves a review!

11:17 a.m. on November 7, 2012 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,079 forum posts

Ashleigh said:

Alicia, I will do that when I have a chance. It definitely deserves a review!

Great, Ashleigh! I'll look forward to reading it.

3:00 p.m. on November 9, 2012 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,079 forum posts

I wanted to share Ashleigh's new review of her Montbell Alpine Light Down Jacket, which she mentioned above. It's a very good one:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/montbell/alpine-light-down-jacket/#review26151

Thanks, Ashleigh!

9:05 a.m. on November 10, 2012 (EST)
2,761 reviewer rep
351 forum posts

Thank you, Alicia! :)

October 1, 2014
Quick Reply